X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shygirl1321
    replied
    bulldog check ur private messages!!
    Last edited by shygirl1321; 09-30-2005, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bulldog4382
    replied
    Sorry, just noticed you kind o went over my question.

Leave a comment:

• bulldog4382
    replied
    Chicago Police

I just joined this website, an I am patiently waiting to be hired by the Chicago Police. I took the written in November 04 and have taken all the tests except the background check and second physical test. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to the background check and to the academy? I heard that there are some dates set up in either January or February.

Leave a comment:

• amp2112
    replied
    CPD Q&A

The wait depends alot on who is assigned to do your background check.
    If your package goes to an investigator who already has 100 people to check out, it will be a while. If he's got a stack of 10, it'll be quicker. It's the luck of the draw there...(or a phone call....)
    Living arrangements, you've got to live in the city. If you don't have kids yet the options are a little wider since you don't have to worry about where they're going to school. If you can stay with someone in Lincoln Park your doing alright. Nice place.
    Don't forget your gonna need about 5k for all the gear and uniforms you'll need to buy.
    Some neighborhoods to consider .. (off the top of my head) Garfield Ridge,
    Mt Greenwood, Edison Park, Bridgeport, Canaryville....

Cheers
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• bluezy
    replied
    benifits

so I can expect 2 years? THat sucks. I pay 90 every 2 weeks for my wife and I to get 80% coverage in health care. if I add a kid it goes up to 130 or so. What is your health care??

Leave a comment:

• Pedro56
    replied
    Benefits are ok, they are getting worse, King Daley states that he wants the city 2 be out of the health care business by 2013, we'll see though. As far as phone calls for hiring, doesn't work that way anymore. Myself included my family has 96 years on the job (all are still active none retired yet) and it still took me 2 years. As far as SWAT it is SWAT not HBT anymore. As far as duty weapons we have a list we can by off of, they have to be DAO and are of the following manufacturers Sig Sauer, Berretta, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger. That is about it, Sig is the only thing that is worthy of anything so that is what I carry. We have to maintain a 9 so I have the P220 and the P226.

Leave a comment:

• bluezy
    replied
    So 4-5 years, good work record, and Im sure they have a real grueling selection process?? Can anyone tell me about the medical, health benifits, unions, etc etc? What is the duty weapon (glock, sig, baretta?)

Bluezy
    RLTW

Leave a comment:

• bluezy
    replied
    Cpd

So 4-5 years, good work record, and Im sure they have a real grueling selection process?? Can anyone tell me about the medical, health benifits, unions, etc etc?

Leave a comment:

• jax24
    replied
    Chicago's swat team is actually the HBT (hostage barricade team). They are part of SOS which is special operations section. I do believe they are in the procees of changing the name though to Swat but don't quote me on that. You usually need 4-5 years experience and a good work history with a Tactical team. As far as connections go, you don't always need them. If you prove yourself, you can pretty much work your way to any of the units, but if you know someone it always helps! : )

Leave a comment:

• bluezy
    replied
    Cpd2

So anywhere from 9 months to 2 years?? Nice! It seems that places like CPD and NYPD require you to have "juice" in order to get things done. What type of phone call is required to get in quicker (just curious, I don't have any conections) I sure I would be reated like anyone else in the acedamy, I wouldn't expect any less. CPD has there own way of doing things and if I got hired I would be very eager to learn a new way. I have learned a few things on the road, and I am sure that would help me out in the long run, but the old saying "keep your mouth shut" apply's in this situation I would think (for a new recruit from another department). Out of curiosity doe sCPD have a full time SWAT team??

Bluezy
    RLTW

Leave a comment:

• jax24
    replied
    Bluezy,
    Like I stated before the hiring process is about two years. 1 and a half years if you're lucky and 9 months if you have a "phone call" and that's still if you're lucky, but generally, the hiring time is very slow for Chicago. But rumor has it, they are doing academies all year next year with a smaller amount of people in each. Hopefully I'll be in January. So, if they hold a test in January of 06, you have a good shot of getting in during the fall.
    Morale is pretty good. It's like any other place, the new hires are gung ho, the ones with time in are "let the rookies do it" and the ones ready to retire are, well, ready to retire. They usually have people in the academy who came from different departments, they could care less if you were a PO previously - you're treated the same. You'll just be ahead of everyone else as far as experience.

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    thanks for the up date....

I haven't lived up their since 82,

except doing prisoner pick up, and hangin with my brother,

it still looked like the ratty place i left, with the cock roachs

going westward into dist 8 and else where.

www.schackdaddy.com

Leave a comment:

• bluezy
    replied
    nice

8,000 huh?? So the city is off by a bit? Is it true that the hiring process is 2 years?? That really sucks. Last I looked at the website the starting was 40 with a bump to 52 at years end. I may have mistyped, but I was stating that I had a place to live for a year in chicago. How are the benifits, union, extra fees, overtime, and job satisfacton? What is the current retirement (20, 25?) thansk for your help

Leave a comment:

• Pedro56
    replied
    Originally posted by bluezy
    thanks for the info. why does it take so long for the hiring process? With the amount of officers (13,000) you would think that they need to replace very often. what does a decent condo cost?? (not in the ghetto)?? are the benifits good??
    We have nowhere near the 13k that the city boasts, there is probably more like 8 tops if not less. We are way undermanned. As far as living I live on the far SouthWest side. You cannot live in any suburbs whatsoever. As far as Schools, be prepared to spend money, the public schools...no matter the neighborhood...bus kids in from the ghetto because the scores are higher in the working peoples neighborhoods than in the non working neighborhoods... it is bs...but anyways Private schools are the way to go. As far as 50k a year that isnt the starting salary so forget trying to find a place on that salary...you won't see that for a bit. (approx 1 year). And as far as 18th and Racine that area isn't to bad. I work in the 7th district, Englewood, the armpit of the city, from Western to the Expressway 55th to 75th. The place looks like Beruit and we would welcome any Al Qaida operatives to do any type of training in that area. We lead the city in violent crimes, except our neighbors to the west, the 8th district are beating us in homicides, only by a few though. The average house goes anywear from 225k to 350k depending on where 1 looks. I got lucky and got my 3 bedroom Georgian for 207k., and as of last week was offered 375K. (I pretty much gutted the inside and redid it myself spend around 50k still not a bad profit). If you have kids some of these neighborhoods that are "up and coming" forget about them. move into one that is up. Make sure it is up because there are a few that were up that are sliding. Anything else that I missed?

Leave a comment:

• bluezy
    replied
    homes

I think that I am beginning to understand teh haze which has come over me concerning living in chicago! I really appreciate all the help that has been afforded to me in this regard. If I am understanding, a house for about $300,000 gets me a small ranch...is that right?? Or I could rent from a cop?? Is that a viable option? Well I definately will be saving a down payment. I should get a premium fro my house when I sell it (great location) plus I will live with family in Lincoln Park for at least the academy (good chance to save money). I have been in Chi-town (do I sound like a native?) before and loved it, and when my wife and I were driving back we did make a wrong turn and ended up in a lovely little nieghborhood ( i think I could have bought crack and a prostitute from the same corner) Bad looking nieghborhood....kinda glad I was carrying! Anyway you guys have been great. Can anyone enlighten me on the hiring process? Are out of staters discouraged or encouraged to apply? Does it really take 2 years? How is the written test? THanks again

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4479 users online. 252 members and 4227 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X