300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule of 3?

Can someone explain the rule of 3 to me?
    If a department can choose from 3 candidates, do they do so before they do all of the background, etc?

What factors do they have to use to justify their selection?

Top Three Then so on and so forth down the line. Easy way to eliminate somebody they don't want without much explanation.

Take top Three pick and keep one etc.

Comment

Most civil service positions are filled from a hiring list. Where you place on the list usually depends on your written and oral scores. The applicant with the highest score becomes Rank 1 on the hiring list, the next highest score becomes Rank 2, etc.

When it's time to fill a vacancy, civil service rules require an agency to start at the top of the hiring list (with Rank 1) and work their way down. However, under the Rule of Three, the hiring agency can select from any of the top three ranks to fill that position. For example, if one position is open, the job offer can go to the persons in Rank 1, Rank 2 or Rank 3. The Department has the sole discretion as to who they select from within these three ranks and they do not have to justify or say why they hired one person over another.

Now, just because you get passed up doesn't mean you won't get hired. When a person is hired from the list, everyone below them moves up and the rule of three starts all over again. For example:

Lets assume the first position went to Rank 2. Under the rule of three, Ranks 1, 3 & 4 now become the top three ranks and the next job offer must go to one of them.

Lets assume the next job is offered to rank 4 but he waives. Now Ranks 1, 3 & 5 become the top three and the offer must be made to one of them. It goes like this until you work your way to the bottom of the list.

Under the Rule of Three it is possible to be repeatedly passed over (and it has happened). However, from a civil liability standpoint it is very dangerous for a department to do this unless extraordinary reasons can be cited. Otherwise, an applicant may prevail in a discrimination suit against the department.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Some departments around here use the rule of 3 and if you get passed over 3 times you are done with the process. Therefore, you can pass everything and still not get a job. Rule of 3 is pretty much just used to hire whoever they want.

Comment

I think the Rule of 3 is used on smaller departments. The place I work for now didnt use it but the other place I also got called for did and actually turned down someone in a higher place for the next guy. Basically its a civil service thing, for every one spot open they need to interview 3. Again its a way to get the best of the 3. I was number 3 in the place i turned down. They hired number 1 as he had military and they HAD to hire him. Another PA civil service rule, if a military guy is in the group of 3 he is to be hired first. Then they hried the second guy, I in the meantime got hired by my current place and 4 months later the fiorst place called and I turned trhem down, they went to the next group of 3 and passed one guy up.
          Confoosing?
          I got nothing for now

Comment

So do they only begin the hiring process (background, medical, etc.) with the one person they select from the three? Or do they start the process with all three and then decide?

Comment

They usually start a background on ALL 3. Hence the rule of THREE. {not snide comment just emphasizing} They need 3 people to background for every 1 they need to hire. BUt agian if one is military HE or SHE is called first to be HIRED...
              I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by normy0
                Some departments around here use the rule of 3 and if you get passed over 3 times you are done with the process. Therefore, you can pass everything and still not get a job. Rule of 3 is pretty much just used to hire whoever they want.
                Are you sure you get dumped from the list if the department passes you over three times? Doing so defeats the purpose of civil service and competitive testing.

Out here, you only get dumped if you waive the position three times when its offered to you.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I know that when I spoke to the recruiter for the Columbus PD they have the rule of three too. It is basically the final part of hiring after background etc..... They put you in three three different times. (or four, don't remember for sure) if you don't get approved you are done with the process.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                    Are you sure you get dumped from the list if the department passes you over three times? Doing so defeats the purpose of civil service and competitive testing.

Out here, you only get dumped if you waive the position three times when its offered to you.
                    Yes, I am completely sure. I am in the process for the City of Pittsburgh and that is what the civil service representive told me when I asked about further processing after the written, interview, fitness test, and polygraph. They explained that if you are passed over three times you are done with the process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6401 users online. 342 members and 6059 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X