300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I tell the department???

I am about to have surgery on my knee. A few years back I blew my knee out. Im getting it done so while im in the academy it does not blow out. Should I let my potential agency know this. I just dont want it to hurt my candidcey for the position. I should have it done with in the next month and will be out for two weeks. So what do you think?

You will have to tell them during the medical.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

If you don't they will find out eventually and then you will be disqualified for lying. There's no coming back from that. So tell the truth. I believe your medical record will be checked.
      Your life is an open book, what message are you giving the readers.

Comment

No. There is no reason to bring it up unless you are specifically asked. They will probably cover it during the medical check up and in theory, that's supposed to be after an offer of employment is made.

Of course, you never want to lie or intentionally omit information. But I don't see any reason you'd want to volunteer that sort of superfluous info.

Comment

Sure, if they asked you medical questions on your app that would be true but they usually don't. I can't see it comming up in the interview either unless he comes in on crutches. It will be asked on the medical and there you will disclose the info and hope for the best.

Originally posted by IronKing
          If you don't they will find out eventually and then you will be disqualified for lying. There's no coming back from that. So tell the truth. I believe your medical record will be checked.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Doctor will note the scars and ask so don't mention it until physical and have in hand a clean bill of health from surgeon.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

There are certain laws regarding medical information, so you do not have to tell them up front. However, read over (if they gave you) essential duties form, etc. It may specifically address that, but most likely not.

Like Bodie said, get a clean bill of health in writing from your Dr. stating you can perform the duties that are listed. The physical may be the time that your surgery is disclosed, but at least you will hopefully be on the road to full recovery.

Comment

Here's my take on your problem. I had a condition, plantar fasciitis, at the end of 2003. I was going to treatment and all that j***. At the same time, I was in the process with the Indiana State Police. In March of 2004, I was done with all my therapy and my podiatrist said that I would be ok to participate in all that the academy had to offer. In April I went to the ISP doctor with 59 other candidates. I told the doctor of everything that was going on and HE CLEARED ME!!!

Fast forward a month later to the beginning of May. I got my conditional offer from ISP and a notice stating that if anything had changed since my physical or background that would intefere with my performance in the academy, I should contact the recruiting staff. Again, I asked the podiatrist if there would be a problem and he said no, absolutely not. I even asked an ISP sgt. and 1st sgt. They too said if my doctor and the ISP doc said it's ok, not to worry about it. Now, it's mid-May and I begin my first week of the state academy (I had just left a city police job of 6 1/2 years). There was some discomfort in the achilies tendon and it caused me a slight limp during a run. No big deal. I get pulled aside and stuipd me, instead of saying nothing, it's all ok, I said that I just needed my medication. Well, by the end of the week, they sent me to THEIR doctor AGAIN. The same one I saw a month earlier. He looked at my record, saw what had been treated and said, "No problem here, I think you'll be fine. A couple of days on the bike and treadmill and you'll be back to good."

I got back to the academy that night, ate the evening meal, went to an evening class and was called to the Major's office. Went in and he said, "You remember that conditional offer we sent you that said....any conditions....contact the recruitment section?" I said yes. Well he told me that the ISP Super. said that he thought I was trying to hide the fact and that I could either RESIGN willingly due to a medical reason with the chance to return or be TERMINATED. I just stood there crying my eyes out. Of course I resigned and about 3 months later found another city PD job. Sorry for the long-winded story. My advice......be honest, totally, completely, and fully. I was told that if they would have found out after the academy, I would have been terminated. Just my opinion brother and we all know what those are worth.
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Well I will be taking physical next week. I'll be showing up with my knee brace on. Now, they shouldnt have to be a Detective to notice something is wrong with it. I just dont want to be DQ'ed for it. I have wiated almost two years to join this agency. If they ask i am going to tell them. Come to think of it, I do think i told the HR manager about it.

Comment

You should be fine with telling them if asked. Hopefully it will be something that they understand will heal in time and not hold you back from the duties required in the future.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5662 users online. 319 members and 5343 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X