Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dallas pd weekend testing

hi all, im a new poster to this forum,

im heading down to dallas from boston at the end of the month to take the dallas pd out of state weekend test.

any suggestions with the process or general things about the department i should know?

ive only been to dallas once and found it to be an amazing city

i'm hoping to get the job, do some good work and get out of the cold northeast.

any help/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated

no one has any suggestions?

ive never done a weekend testing before, I also signed up for a ride-along the night after the final day. Ive never gone on one before but Im looking forward to it and thought it might show some initiative.

Comment

Sorry Ive never even been to texas but I do know its hot as hell down there. I believe Dallas is a good department. Give it some time here as we ahve alot of Texans that will help you. Dont like the Boston winters???
      I cant wait till it snows in the Burgh. I hate the heat...
      I got nothing for now

Comment

well, im heading down there this weekend. im excited and a little nervous, mainly because of the money i've invested in this trip. but it will be more than worth it if i can get this!

any last minute advice??

Comment

I've gone for weekend testing, although not in the US.

I'm not sure what tests you face, but if its at all like mine:

Stay hydrated.
          Get a good sleep.
          Don't give up. At all.
          Keep your eye on the prize.
          Enjoy your ride-along!

Comment

Make sure you have everything you need with you! I have seen them send people home who don't have what's required. Dress nice, but bring your gym clothes too.

It is still hot down here..... 102 today, but it is supposed to be in the 80's by the weekend.

What subdivision are you going on your ride along?
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
            and I'm not sure about the former.
            -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

i believe its in the northwest division. how is that compared to the others?

i havent had it confirmed by them, im going to call them today to make sure.

for the first day they said i didnt need to dress in a suit, and bring Pt clothes. I feel i should still dress in khakis and a button down at a minimum

Comment

Your dress for the 1st day sounds fine. All you'll be doing is taking the written and the PT, maybe the prelim background but you should still be fine. On the second day be ready to do two essays before your oral interview which is a panel interview w/ 3 members of the department.
                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Dpd

I lived in Dallas, for over 30 years before moving to Arkansas.

Traffic stinks, It's hot......still 100 degrees and it's almost October.

DPD is big, but.......go to the suburbs.....and you get paid more, with less grief.. DPD has had problems with chiefs, and lots of racial BS......

I would not work for them but thats me...

Comment

Originally posted by wfriedman

DPD is big, but.......go to the suburbs.....and you get paid more, with less grief.. DPD has had problems with chiefs, and lots of racial BS......

Was wondering how long it would take for the "warnings" to start.
                    sigpic

Comment

DPD also has a new chief that seems to be doing a fairly good job but still has his work cut out for him in picking up the pieces left by the last administration.
                      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by wfriedman

Yep, yep.. all true. There are still some gripes about the new chief, but things seem to be turning around a bit. Now we just need to get rid of our idiot mayor.

That being said.... I still like it here (in Dallas) and work with a bunch of great people (at DPD).

The 100+ heat has got to go, tho!
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
                        and I'm not sure about the former.
                        -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know about how long it takes to complete an application? In other words, if I wanted to apply to DPD and could begin training as early as June 2006, when would be the best time to apply?
                          "I am Death, and I hereby declare you to be living impaired!"

Comment

Everything went really well, I passed the physical test, the written, the polygraph, and the oral board (the most stressful one ive had).

they make it fairly easy to come down on one weekend and do everything.

now theyre going to begin my background for a possible academy start date as early as December. I'm very excited, but need to make sure ill be able to move down there by then.

the ride-along was excellent, i was in NW division, we had one counterfit attempt, a shots fired, a threatening by some guy turning his wife out at a motel... crazy stuff.

Comment

That is a pretty intense oral board isn't it. Slam from the left, slam from the right and the "your an idiot" looks you get while answering. The wait in the hallway seemed like it lasted 10 hours for me.

Originally posted by outtaboston
                              and the oral board (the most stressful one ive had)..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2966 users online. 143 members and 2823 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X