300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia and Maryland Depts

I'm planning on visiting my family in VA and MD later this fall and would like to do some ride-alongs while I
    Last edited by That Guy; 09-08-2005, 12:19 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

[QUOTE=That Guy]I'm planning on visiting my family in VA and MD later this fall and would like to do some ride-alongs while I
    Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Originally posted by Washingtonian
      I hear Prince Georges Co. is lovely...
      Yes very lovely!!!!!

Comment

Uhhh, did I miss something?

TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

hey TGY, I'm in the processes for PG County PD (Maryland), Fairfax County PD (Virginia), Montgomery County PD (Maryland), and DC Metro. I am not a LEO so I can't exactly tell you from professional experience what depts are the best but I have chosen these to apply to. Of course, people will have their opinions just as I do. PG County has been bashed in the Post as of late, that is what they are talking about. Good luck getting a ride along with Metro on short notice, I have been trying to get one for awhile and I already received a conditional job offer from them. If you think I may be of any help feel free to ask. Good luck!

Comment

Montgomery County does ride alongs, exciting as well...

Comment

Virginia State police is a great dept with competitive pay. downside, long hiring process, but worth it. You can transfer all around the state at your request. you can go into bomb squad, inestigations, traffic, dive team, etc.
              Fairfax PD is a fantastic, very little turnover...but its a large dept. Great pay. downside, huge gang problem. did i say great pay with lots of toys and specialties?
              Prince WIlliam county PD is a "small fairfax PD without all the fancy helicopters". they supplement their officers reitrement..its actully pretty good compensation...but like fairfax, you will work your butt off. another big city with a large influx of gangs.
              Richmond PD has a straight 20 year retirement, but the moral there is really low. I know a lot of Richmond guys, they are top notch, but they cant keep them. i beleive they have a shooting there each night, at least it seems.
              if you goto the south west part of virginia, pay is really low, but so is the cost of living. there are a lot of fantastic agencies in Virginia. Alexandria, Arlington, VSP, Chesterfield county, Virginia Beach, etc.
              beleive it or not, the metropolotan airport authority police (regan and Dulles) is well comensated and they can do what ever they want (as far as policing) those guys are pretty squared away with good pay, permanent shifts, full tuttion reimbursement, and have a Union.
              i cannot comment on Maryland...except watch out for Prince Georges PD...thats my opinion, i am not trashing that dept. but those officers there really work their BUTTS OFF!!!! I have great respect for those guys, My hats off to them...

all in all, do your homework, i mean that. research the pay, retirement, health care upon retirement, compensation packages, history of pay raises, take home cars, compensation when placed on-call, room for advancement, turnover, etc.

Rule of thumb: the closer to DC you get, the more expensive it is...for example a 2 story, 3 bedroom townhouse will cost you approx. 400,00-600,00 thousand, unless you live in a ghetto. kind of hard on a policemans salery.

i hope i didnt offend anyone, thats my take on it.

Good luck and y'all stay safe
              Nobody, I mean nobody makes Sheriff Bufford T. Justice look like a possums pecker.

Comment

Stafford County, Fairfax County, Albemarle County, Chesterfield County, Henrico County.

Maryland has issues.

I used to work for Stafford, hell of a department.
                "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Just from living in the area my entire life and dealing with a number of the local departments, all have the advantages and disadvantages. In maryland, I would recommend howard county PD, Charles county SD, hartford county SD, montogomery county PD, carroll county SD, and any of the LEA's in the western part of the state. MSP are also pretty squared away, and on the eastern shore and western part of the state are sometimes the primary LEA in the area. In virginia, I have worked with a few of the LEA's in the area, but nothing really to write home about. As far as cost of living is concerned, western virginia might have some better areas, unfortually I haven't had any dealings with any of those dept's, so really can't speak of them.

Comment

LMAO...very nice
                    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

I used to work for Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office and it was a great experience,although cost of living there is rising and salary is not .

Comment

I've heard lots of good things about Chesterfield so I will try to hook one there. Same with MG where my brother lives nearby. He has warned me about the cost of living there. I will try with VA Beach since I used to live there.
                        Thanks for the suggestions.

TGY

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
                          I've heard lots of good things about Chesterfield so I will try to hook one there. Same with MG where my brother lives nearby. He has warned me about the cost of living there. I will try with VA Beach since I used to live there.
                          Thanks for the suggestions.

TGY
                          well im about 20 minutes from VB...
                          if you wanna have a good time... go for a ride with norfolk and portsmouth...
                          thats if you want to watch them run from yard to yard chasing people down all night long...
                          or you can go with the dui task force in VB... you will have a great time doing that. but seriously, go to fairfax county and ride with an officer in the franconia/springfield area... you wont be let down. MS-13 will own you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5921 users online. 395 members and 5526 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X