300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ'd DEA

I have been looking at this forum for awhile, posted a couple of times. Just watned to see what everyone thought. Recieved DQ letter yesturday from the DEA. Basically said due to their drug policy and the statements I provided I am no longer being considered. I have never done any drugs in my life. I did admit to taking a vicodin once that was not prescribed to me while drinking. I completed all of the other steps of the process including background and the polygraph. I know its my own fault , but wanted to know what everyone thought? What do you think about being dq'd for this reason. Will it hurt my chances with other departments or agencies. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by spitnimage; 09-08-2005, 08:47 AM.

Vicodin is a schedule II drug. Cocaine is a schedule II drug. If vicodin is prescribed to you then it is legal for you to take it, if it is not prescribed to you then it is a felony to take it. If you have used cocaine you will not be considered by most agencies, especially fed/DEA. Therefore since the schedule by the drug control act is the same level it would be safe to assume that if you illegally used vicodin then you would not be considered. I think that you can safely rule out fed agencies, but you may get lucky locally.
    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Regarding coke use and the DQ...

A few years back, the LA Times ran a story about difficulties with police recruiting and how applicants these days are more likely to have "experimented" etc. etc... The article talked about a guy who had done coke ten years prior, but shaped up and was determined to be a cop. He'd been DQ'd from dozens of agencies because of the coke but the dude never gave up. Finally, a small city PD gave him a chance despite his past usage. The article said that this guy went on to kick *** in the academy and on patrol.

The moral of the story is you might have a shot a local PD, if you demonstrate how you've changed for the better and if they are willing to back you.

Good luck.
      Focused Recruit

Comment

never done coke, let alone any other drugs other than taking one vicodin that wasn't prescribed to me.

Comment

Did you even read the first response to your thread? It doesn't have to be coke. Any schedule drug, especially a drug with cocaine in the family, being taken other than prescribed is using a drug. Call experiemental, or just having fun when drinking, but that is the reason you were DQ'd.

K9

Comment

Lord, I had to take that stuff when I had a surgery done earlier this year. I don't know how that could be considered fun. Every time I took it the day was over for anything but napping and watching TV.

Originally posted by K9 Police
            ...or just having fun when drinking....
            K9
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

cocaine-vicodin both schedule II

Just to clarify, I wasn't implying you did use cocaine. My post was meant to show that an applicant who used a Schedule II drug like coke or vicodin or whatever else can still have a shot at a career in sworn law enforcement. You just might have a longer road than most, but if you want that shield, it'll be worth it in the end.

Good Luck.
              Focused Recruit

Comment

Originally posted by spitnimage
                I have been looking at this forum for awhile, posted a couple of times. Just watned to see what everyone thought. Recieved DQ letter yesturday from the DEA. Basically said due to their drug policy and the statements I provided I am no longer being considered. I have never done any drugs in my life. I did admit to taking a vicodin once that was not prescribed to me while drinking. I completed all of the other steps of the process including background and the polygraph. I know its my own fault , but wanted to know what everyone thought? What do you think about being dq'd for this reason. Will it hurt my chances with other departments or agencies. Thanks guys.
                Another factor will be how long ago it was. I don't even know what my own agencies policy is on the stuff as far as backrounds but I had a partner one time who was straight up about her usage of cocaine. She presumably used it 3 times but it was at least 5 years before she applied with our dept.

Every dept is different but from what I *hear*, there needs to be some serious time (XXX # of years)between your last usage and getting hired.
                "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2895 users online. 168 members and 2727 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X