• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deftones
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2005

NYPD from written to acadamy

hello everyone, first post here.

I have a question that you all might be able to help me with.
    I took the written test in june 18th. i scored a 91 on the test.

ive gotten in contact with 212-recruit and was given the number to dcas and called about the results of the test because i havent been sent a letter yet and its been 2 and a half months now.

it says the list for this exam hasent been completed yet.

im hoping to be able to start the police acadamy for nypd this january but its starting to look like i wont be able to. but then i see the news and see how the city needs cops and all the stuff about dropping the college requirements etc etc ..

MY QUESTION :

do you think ill make the police acadamy by january ?
    and whats the normal amount of time to be in this wait ?

any other information of advice would be great too
    thanks in advance

Deft

p.s. i did post this in an incorrect section of the forum previously and i hope that thread is deleted
  • irishlad2nv
    Hustler
    • Apr 2004

If you do an intense search on this forum under NYPD. All of your questions will be answered.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• PittsburghKid
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2005

Hey man

I took the test on Feb 26th and got my results about a month later off the website. Scored a 91% as well. Then it was a waiting game. Suddenly out of the blue they alled me and told me to appear in NY the NEXT morning at 630 am. This was at 6pm the night before on a Friday. Kinda hard considering I live in Pittsburgh and I was on vacation. I dont think they knew that though. By the time I came back and called them, they only had one day left open for the Quest program, which is recommended if you an out of towner. This was the NEXT day and in about a 2 weeks the academy was starting. The commander was completely honest with me and told me that it would be next to impossible to get a place, move, get a NY drivers licence, a phone line and get ready for the academy in 2 weeks, including coming up for 4 days to test. That class was so loaded from what I heard that there were 300 people on the hook, including me, when the class started and they couldnt get to them. I could be wrong. She said to wait for the January class. (Funny, if I got in then, Id be paid handsomely, but now, its not worth going at the pay rate they're gonna pay you.) Anyways, its a long process, Im thinking that you might not make the January class, but its still September, so you have a chance. But your call will come unexpectedly.

Now there is a nice post here about NYC that my brother put up that will probably change your mind about going there. Ill give you the link to read it. A lot of good angles and points to read from others here that make you think about going there. Honestly, my mind is almost made up, I cant see living there on their pay, unless you live under a bridge. And with their requirement for a landline phone, I think that would be hard Plus now that they cant get people recruited and are thinking of dropping the college requirement, I think you are gonna see the city with less than qualified officers. But to those who have it, it should be easier to get into. I dont wanna be a part of that. Plus why would anyone in their right mind put their life in danger for $25100 (which bumps to 32+ after academy). I make more than that and I sell audio equipment and wheels. And from what other officers have said, you are on the lowest end of the pole, so overtime is pretty much not an option, unless you are lucky. Tough decision. If you can do it, good for you.

Anyways Quest is 718-972-3120.
      Looking to get hired? Need advice? Post questions, experiences & job leads here

thats my brothers link with some good info on this department.

If they dont drop that new contract or revamp it (which I doubt) I wont go. I will seriously reconsider going there if they go back to the way it was or change some things, but who knows. Put your apps in elsewhere, dont count on this as your only option.

Good luck bro
      PittsburghKid
      Reputation is the cornerstone of power

Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY POLICE
      Written - Passed
      Physical test - Passed
      Background Investigation - Finished
      Oral Board - Passed
      Polygraph - Passed
      Chief's Decision - Pending
      Medical Exam - Pending Chief's Decision
      Psycological Exam - Pending Chief's Decision

Comment

• deftones
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2005

hmm thats an interesting point but i still wanna give it a go. i was under the idea that the nypd started off at 40k. well as a update i got a letter in the mail. but it didnt have anything to do with my score. just an invitation to a seminar on oct 1 or 15.

im supposed to bring my dl, dd214, college transcripts, etc. so hopefully ill be able to start in jan. im really looking forward to it.

Comment

• abaldbrotha
          Forum Member
          • May 2005

They can fast track the process when they want to. Thing is, it will take a lot of hardwork on your part and your investigation, former employers, medical, psych, etc.

good luck

Comment

• SHU
            Grumpy
            • Jul 2005

come on

They will hire anybody these days with the new 25k plus 3 large out of your pocket. I say again, anybody. If you are crazy enough to take the job with all its horrors that I and many others have documented here and elsewhere. You are in like flin. You will be hired for jan, no question. The real problem is how you are going to live.

Comment

• WantItBad!
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2005

Golly!!! Sounds like NY is now a sh*t hole!!! 25K in that city! Come to Chicago!

Comment

• deftones
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2005

well im unmarried and no kids. i was born poor and have lived in the projects my entire life. i will endure it all to get out of this hellhole i live in to try for a better life. ive checked with the nypd website and 44k is the starting wage.

plus my girlfriend also earns quite a bit as a graphic artist so im sure things will go great. even if the pay was 25k it still go for it. because id be proud to be a nypd cop.

Comment

• PittsburghKid
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by deftones
                  well im unmarried and no kids. i was born poor and have lived in the projects my entire life. i will endure it all to get out of this hellhole i live in to try for a better life. ive checked with the nypd website and 44k is the starting wage.

plus my girlfriend also earns quite a bit as a graphic artist so im sure things will go great. even if the pay was 25k it still go for it. because id be proud to be a nypd cop.
                  Here, thought you should see this. The NYPD's new pay scale is here. http://www.nypd2.org/html/recruit/salary.html You wont see 44K until 4.5 years.

As long as you have other income (girlfriend) then you should be in somewhat decent shape. Good luck to you. If I had an extra income similar, then I would be in the class with you in Jan, but single and that salary is a no go. But if you were single, I cant see how it could be done. SHU said it best, 25 to start (although it does bump to 32 after academy) isnt worth it. And the 3 stacks they dont tell you about for required stuff is a blow to your pocket as well.

Good luck though, keep us posted if you make it. Im actually interested in seeing how there process will change since the recruiting fell off.

PittsburghKid

Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

Written - Passed
                  Physical test - Passed
                  Oral Board - Passed
                  Polygraph - Passed

Comment

• bostonnorth
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2005

does nypd only run 1 recruit class per year starting in january? and when exactly in january does it start?

Comment

• The_524
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2005

It seems as though they are still trying to get ppl for the January class. I took the test in June 04 and the quest program in Oct 04, but dropped out of the process because I couldnt realistically relocate to NYC by Jan 05 at the time as I was fresh out of school and pretty much broke. Anyway, last week (approx Sept 23) I got a letter in the mail from NYPD APD inviting me to a seminar in October, which they are using to recruit for the Jan 06 class. If I could figure out a way to make it on the $25k I would go, but that salary is a complete joke. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

• PittsburghKid
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by bostonnorth
                        does nypd only run 1 recruit class per year starting in january? and when exactly in january does it start?
                        They test approximately 3 times a year and hold at least 2 academies, if Im not mistaken. They just had an academy in July, now this one in January. If that helps.

PittsburghKid

Written - Passed
                        Physical test - Passed
                        Oral Board - Passed
                        Polygraph - Passed

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19741 users online. 54 members and 19687 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...