300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is College required?

I'm a 20 year old male with no college under my belt. Want I want to do in life is be a Police Officer, but I really don't want to go to college if I don't have to. Do I have to go to college to be a police officer nywhere, or is that just for some departments? If there is any Police Foce looking for a new recruit with no college post me back. Thank you very much for your time. I hope to hear for some of you.

I'm not expert but I think there are just way too many qualified applicants with some degree or even just college credits to pass up for someone with no post highschool education., What have you done to stand out from everyone else that will help offset having no school under your belt?

Comment

You could search the many previous threads on this topic.

Comment

The best way to find out the requirements for a department is to check their website, or contact the departments recruiter. However, it is right that most will overlook a canidate with now college, or military experience. After researching you will find that many departments waive education when specific military terms have been completed. You will just have research your choices.

Comment

I have applied to 6 departments and all of them except MPDC and Montgomery County, Maryland do NOT require college credit. I will have my degree in December, though, and most of the ones that do not require college credit say on the application "college credit preferred". I am not a LEO so I can't tell you how you will end up in the hiring process but those are the minimum requirements for the ones I applied to and there were several I cut last minute and they only required a GED but said the same thing about preferring college credit. Hope that helps.

Comment

YES.................... At least two to get considered and probably 4 to get hired and mandatory for promotion any agency worth working at.

Comment

College will only make you a better applicant and a better officer. You need a decent education to write the numerous reports that officers write daily. Most departments also will not promote you past cpl. without a college degree.

Take the time and go to college. It will pay off in the end. Theres no rush to get into this job...trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Utah
                Theres no rush to get into this job...trust me.
                Amen! Should have listened to that advice when it was given to me before.

K9

Comment

cop

Originally posted by EKloess
                  I'm a 20 year old male with no college under my belt. Want I want to do in life is be a Police Officer, but I really don't want to go to college if I don't have to. Do I have to go to college to be a police officer nywhere, or is that just for some departments? If there is any Police Foce looking for a new recruit with no college post me back. Thank you very much for your time. I hope to hear for some of you.
                  In Montgomery, alabama u don't have to have no college degree or college credit, www.mpd.org
                  Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF DEATH COME KNOCKING, I WILL ANSWER

Comment

I like how Utah put it! Also, do you have a community college near you? You could apply while taking courses too. Keep in mind, you are 20. You are still young in the field of applicants. Especially those with college or military behind them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3608 users online. 182 members and 3426 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X