300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCSHP Info

Looking for more info about the Patrol and their process. I'm presently considering a carreer change. Currently I'm in the Fire Service in NC(10 years) but have always wanted to be a Trooper in NC. Not certified LE. Honorable discharge from the Marine Corps, no college, not bad driving record, no criminal record, and fair credit, 31 years old. What are my chances?

Originally posted by res4cue
    Looking for more info about the Patrol and their process. I'm presently considering a carreer change. Currently I'm in the Fire Service in NC(10 years) but have always wanted to be a Trooper in NC. Not certified LE. Honorable discharge from the Marine Corps, no college, not bad driving record, no criminal record, and fair credit, 31 years old. What are my chances?
    I work for NC DOC, welcome to the forum. Here is a link to the NC Employment Security Commission's web site. They are always accepting applications for Troopers. The qualifications, yada yada yada are listed there.
    Good Luck.

NCESC
    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Originally posted by res4cue

I hope you're ready for 6 months of hell. Not a trooper myself, but I've heard horror stories about the academy. Very tough.

From what I understand, the application process takes over 6 months. Apply now.

Comment

Originally posted by ditchdiver56
        I hope you're ready for 6 months of hell. Not a trooper myself, but I've heard horror stories about the academy. Very tough.

From what I understand, the application process takes over 6 months. Apply now.

I am NOT in the NCHP, however, I have a friend who was Corp as well and is in the HP. He said the same thing, the academy is nuts. They do their best to weed anyone out who really doesn't want to be there or have what it takes. If you want to do it, make sure your family is behind you...you will need their support to do it. You are gonna have to really want it, but if you do, go for it. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info thus far...I have spoken to a few officers here locally but haven't spoken to anyone with the "inside scoop"...I really appreciate the help
          STAY SAFE

Comment

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you have any questions.
            "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

Hey...I returned your PM...Hope to hear from you soon..

Comment

I emailed you back
                "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

Comment

Hey...I saw your e-mail, but I am currently having problems with my e-mail server I'll try to write back just as soon as I can...Thanks Again STAY SAFE

Comment

nctroop14...do you happen to know when another academy is planned? I'm a NC native and I'm tossing around the idea of applying with NCSHP (currently looking an municipal and county jobs). I know a couple of troopers in Raleigh and throughout the state.

Comment

They just graduated a class last week. They usually start up another one anywhere from a few weeks to a month after a graduation. I am thinking maybe sometime in Oct. We need people so bad they are trying to get schools cycling one after another.

Comment

Yeah, some troopers I know in Raleigh say they're hurting to get qualified folks. He said they are consistently short staffed in this area. I assume the dilemma is state wide?

One question...are they still sending folks all over the state, or is there a good chance of getting located where you want to. I would love to patrol one of the counties in the Triangle given that this is where the future wife wants to live, and she has a great job at the moment.

Thanks again...

Comment

Yeah we are short staffed throughout the state. Its not so much we cant get people hired, but they need more trooper allocations in certain areas and the state wont pay for it. The triangle always has openings but they have 20 or so troopers there so if they are short a few it isnt that bad. In smaller counties when you only have 6 or 7 and you are short it hurts. They say they try and put you close to home but they pretty much put you where they need you. They dont send easterners to the west and westerners to the east...but there me be a chance you get moved. However if you are putting in for one of the counties such as Wake or Guilford, you have a better chance. It all depends on the openings!!

Comment

nctroop14, thanks for the info. I attended a recruiting meeting last week and I'm in the process of completing my application and gathering all the information that must be turned in. To be considered for the Spring 2006 academy I must have everything turned in by Oct. 7th, which is no small feat since I am requesting information from 3 states and several counties in NC. With that said, I think I will have everything.

I have a friend who is a Trooper in Raleigh who is of course telling me that I need to get on with the NCSHP instead of local PD's. It's likely that I will know the outcome with some local PD's before I know what will happen with this process. I was curious about your personal experience with the application process, particulary:

1. How long did the process take for you, and how far in advance did you know before the academy started?

2. Will they tell you your ranking/scores for different parts of the process and your overall ranking?

Feel free to PM me or just respond on this thread.

Thanks!

Comment

Well if you are in the running for the Spring school, they will move you along quickly. They had a big gap in between my school and the one before it. I applied in Oct. and finished testing in July. They moved it SLOOOOOOWW. Anyway, you usually know anywhere from a month to a few weeks beforehand if you get into the school. Generally a week or two after your med. exam. After you do your pt test they give you a score. It isnt a ranking but how many points you have, I think it is out of 200. So that kinda gives you an idea. If you make it past the oral board, then you are generally in unless you have some health problem or whatever.

If you have any more questions, just pm me!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3344 users online. 185 members and 3159 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X