Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a DQ in one agency ruin chances in another?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a DQ in one agency ruin chances in another?

I recently got a psych DQ in Corrections and it's on appeal, but all seems good for Court Officer, FEDS and PD. The DQ was for scoring too high as an "Alpha Male" and a subway trespass summons 25 years ago. A former corrections lawyer told me the Court, FEDS and PD Agencies will eventually DQ me for the same when it goes up for oral.

Is this true? Will one agency DQ effect another? Is this lawyer just eager to get my business to the tune of $3500 retainer? Can anyone share?

No....no it does not. I don't know if I would call my experiences being DQ'd, but I was not chosen by more than a few departments before being hired by my own. I know a few Deputies that were flatly DQ'd for one reason or another that were hired by our agency, and the same could be said about people we have DQ'd that have been hired by others. It's all dependent upon what each agency considers a critical point that you must have or can't have.
    Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Yes and no.....Some agencies ask "If you have applied at any oher agencies and the status of those applications"

A few quick phone calls...and Agency B knows why Agency A didn't hire you...

Comment

Dq

I asked a BG investigator at Glendale (CA) PD the same question. He said they review the circumstances, but that it doesn't automatically DQ one from their agency. Also, I know of some officers DQ'd from LAPD and LASD for "dishonesty," "maturity" issues, etc., who were nevertheless hired by smaller agencies. Also, if you successfully appeal, the DQ would be virtually null and void...

Good luck.
        Last edited by Stugotz; 09-03-2005, 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling/clarity
        Focused Recruit

Comment

If it wa NYS correction then don't feel so bad as I know of a lot (I mean a lot) of people who were DQ'd during the pysch portion.
          Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

Thanks for the replies and info.

Comment

The truth is that it all depends on the reason. I was DQ'ed from a department about 5 years ago, and I am in the hiring process with them again. Obviously the reason I was DQ'ed did not hinder me from applying again. Does that mean I will get the job this time, who knows. Situations vary.

One thing that I have noticed about applying for positions in LE is that they will tell you upfront about things that lead to an automatic DQ. Everyone here knows what I'm talking about. Some issues from the past won't go away in their mind, including certain drug use or driving violations, domestic violence offenses, etc. I know all departments are different and therefore the standards are different. It sounds like your situation is not black and white, so there's a chance that one agency will have an issue while another agency will not. My advice is that if this is something you have your heart set on, go for it. After applying to several agencies, you will know whether this is a obstacle you can overcome.

Best of luck!

Comment

Anyone use an attorney to fight a final DQ on DQ a appeal?

Comment

Well, the NYC Dept. of Corrections overturned my Psych DQ on appeal and I am back on the list, and considered "suitable" for employment. I did not need an attorney. I was also made an offer by another law enforcment agency and I begin training soon. So, for those in similar situations, keep your heads up and stay positive.

Comment

Are you able to check with the agency that DQ'd you and inquire to what part of the psych you were DQ'd on?

Comment

They only tell you if it's psychological. When you appeal it, the Dr. that helps you with the appeal will show you the report that the agency DQ'd you on and he will go over it. I read mine and there were so many areas. But, I won the appeal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11629 users online. 440 members and 11189 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X