300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st DQ

i just went for my written test with baltimore city PD and was DQ'd bc of past druge use(marijuana more than 20 times). i know every department has their set of rules and standards but is that about what most police departments let you do. i have not touched marijuana in well over 3 yrs. i have my heart set on becoming an LEO. i am putting in applications with 4 other counties in my area. anyone have any similiar stories. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

The few depts list of DQ's that I have seen, list MJ as a DQ if in the past 12 months or more than 15 times...

Comment

I would not hesitate to guess that you're DONE. With that much admitted use no agency is going to touch you.

Comment

you say that about everyone and you are probably wrong most of the time.....never once have i seen you say somethin encouraging to someone who asks questions about getting hired
        fall down 4 times...get up 5.

Comment

keep trying west.....if not now, maybe in a few more years without touching it, some agencies will think otherwise.
          fall down 4 times...get up 5.

Comment

20 times for experimental use is the cutoff for many agencies that I'm aware of. Certainly possible there are some different ones, but I think Bodie is probably right; the poster has got an uphill battle. At minimum, you need to wait another year or two to apply so you get some time behind your last use.
            d

Comment

Jinxed . You're just a student you have not been inside and viewed the process of hiring police officers. Drug use and repaeted admitted drug use will dq anybody anywhere from a police officer position.

It's not going to go away or change in time and if a person would lie and get a position and two departments would happen to ever compare notes. Say because the guy was seen working as a cop by somebody from the agency that dq'ld him for the drug use admission he would be rightfully terminated for lying.

Comment

I don't know about your area, but when I was looking in Florida after the academy about 5 years ago some of the agencies listed their drug DQ lists. I saw one which had no MJ use over 75 times. That was the most, I know Tampa PD used to be no more than 2 times. So it can differ widely. If you keep trying you may find a place. From what I've seen its the hard drugs that really stop people in their tracks.
                Last edited by BayCityBrawler; 08-31-2005, 08:46 AM.

Comment

i am still applying to some other agencies out there. hopefully there will be one that is a little more lenient with their policy concerning marijuana. will being dq'd from one agency give you a bad wrap sheet for the next? thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by westsideBB
                    will being dq'd from one agency give you a bad wrap sheet for the next? thanks for all the advice.
                    I don't know about where you are but where I live as part of the application or when they interview you they will ask where else you have applied. Obviously they'll want to compare notes and your app with other agencies to make sure there are no discrepencies between them.

Whether or not they will share the dq information is another thing but if you continue to be forthright about the marijuana use that won't really matter.

I don't know of an agency around here that would touch someone with that much marijuana use. Maybe a co position but I doubt even that as the process is almost the same for those guys. Time may be the only healer for you and I don't know if even that will work. Some time in the military and a college degree might be a good idea if you don't have that.
                    "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus
                    Matthew 11:28

Comment

i would think that agancies would be more concerned with someone who has done it more recent than with someone who has done it 20 times 3 yrs ago and has no intention of ever doing it again. but i am not a recruiter, what is the thought process that goes into that?

Comment

what is the thought process that goes into that?

If you live in a state where POST certifies all leo's that would be a big part of it. Typically POST has a set limit on drug usage. All departments have either what POST has stated as their policy or they allow even less. If POST will not allow you in then you cannot work in le.

Comment

what does POST mean?

Comment

what does POST mean?

Peace Officer Standards Training

Comment

I screwed around a little bit when I was in high school and I am taking a 4 year degree to put some time in between high school and applying. I think Alaska will hire you but you have to check.
                              "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
                              -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5066 users online. 382 members and 4684 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X