Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nypd

All,

Just Wondering If Anyone Has Any Info On The Process For Nyc Easy Hard In Between? Anything Will Help. I Take The Oct. 29th Exam. And I Have Five Years Active Duty Military Le.

Nypd

Joey,

First you want to think about going to NYC for a job. I am in the process of it now and I have to say, when I read about the paycuts the "unborns" have to take in order for the raises for current officers to take effect, I wasn't too happy. I always wanted to work in NYC, but on an officer's starting salary and the cost of living, without any overtime, it would be near impossible to work and live at the same time. One thing I havent seen people mention here yet is that after the 6 months of academy training you recieve, you bump to $32,000 and change, which is good, but still hardly a decent pay for a living. Factor in the union dues with rent, taxes taken out, utilities (which Ive heard are high as well), food, car payment maybe, insurance on that, and other costs as in credit cards etc, and you see that it is tough to do. If it is your dream, Im sure you can make it work. My brother (Skatr5435) has a post here in the Career Forums about NYPD that has a lot of info and feedback and lots of points of views.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32559
    that should be the link to it

It should help you make a decision. I have slowly decided against NYPD because of the pay scale, and have found Prince Georges County and Montgomery County and DC to be probably a better choice. HOWEVER, there are some posts here about these Departments and though some have said cost of living is high, I got a rental book from there and some rents arent that bad, actually managable. But look up my brothers post and read the entire threads posted in there. Also I can get you another link I read 2 weeks ago in the NY Times that the city is now fighting the new contract because recruiting has fallen off dramatically and the city is seeing a trend that will hurt not only recruiting but possibly crime rising as well. Who knows, maybe its a ray of light for us. Good luck

PittsburghKid
    Reputation is the cornerstone of power

Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY POLICE
    Written - Passed
    Physical test - Passed
    Background Investigation - Finished
    Oral Board - Passed
    Polygraph - Passed
    Chief's Decision - Pending
    Medical Exam - Pending Chief's Decision
    Psycological Exam - Pending Chief's Decision

Comment

pittspuke,

ha ha (im originally from cleveland go browns!) thanks alot for the info i'm still going to take the test and see how the whole process pans out. i'm still on active duty till next year around this time so we'll see once again thanks bro.

Comment

Oh My Goodness!!!

Cleveland huh?! The ol' Mistake By The Lake, good luck this season and good luck with the test. If I find someone who wants to shack up for a little bit to make rent and life more affordable, Ill go to NYC for that anytime. Keep that in mind if you wanna do that.

PittsburghKid
        Last edited by PittsburghKid; 08-31-2005, 02:12 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

Written - Passed
        Physical test - Passed
        Oral Board - Passed
        Polygraph - Passed

Comment

what about the gi bill for ex military do you think that extra 750 is enough to get by while in the academy and 550 for six months when you get out on the road

Comment

It would definitely help thats for sure. Is that 750 per month plus 550 per month?? if so, then you might be ok, but factor in the union dues, utilities, pension, and also your personal credit card bills, car and insurance.....gotta think of everything....Either way, the extra money will definitely help you out.

PittsburghKid

Written - Passed
            Physical test - Passed
            Oral Board - Passed
            Polygraph - Passed

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5674 users online. 304 members and 5370 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X