300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Process"

Well, I am considered "discharged" from the Air Force as of 15 Sept 05. I have applied at the Surprise P.D. in the West Valley of Phoenix and passed the written and physical. I am testing with Gilbert on the East side of the Valley tonight. I am told from the BI that as long as I make it through the hiring process, then I am hired. I am worried about the stupid polygraph. Is it really a tool of the administrator? I have no reason to be dishonest, but if I tell the truth and they say I am not, then are they just trying to mess with my head? As for the oral board, any good tips on how to walk in and sit? I am used to military style. March in a straight line, stop salute and wait to be told to sit. How different is the civilian side? Any advise on the two I would appreciate it. Thank you for your honest inputs.
    "Character is everything", American Generalship.

Originally posted by Brownie
    Well, I am considered "discharged" from the Air Force as of 15 Sept 05. I have applied at the Surprise P.D. in the West Valley of Phoenix and passed the written and physical. I am testing with Gilbert on the East side of the Valley tonight. I am told from the BI that as long as I make it through the hiring process, then I am hired. I am worried about the stupid polygraph. Is it really a tool of the administrator? I have no reason to be dishonest, but if I tell the truth and they say I am not, then are they just trying to mess with my head? As for the oral board, any good tips on how to walk in and sit? I am used to military style. March in a straight line, stop salute and wait to be told to sit. How different is the civilian side? Any advise on the two I would appreciate it. Thank you for your honest inputs.

The Surprise Poly is fairly well laid back and their guy isn't normally looking to fail people. This from knowing 6-7 guys that work for them. Unless you have some serious issues in your backround that you didn't fully disclose then don't sweat it. Phoenix PD is the one agency around here that has a bad rap for failing people on the poly. Those same people turn around and pass everywhere else they apply. I don't know much about Gilbert so I cannot help you there. You should look into Phoenix and AZ DPS if you are just concerned about getting into the job first and foremost. The DPS poly was pretty relaxed and straight forward.

You will get those people that link to sites about how to beat a poly and all that. Read it if you want. While I do think it can and does get beaten by people it's really not something I would suggest. If you apply and more than one agency and are honest you won't be failing the poly at both unless you have the worst kind of luck in the world.

Comment

Failure

Took the test in Gilbert and failed the video portion and got a 93 on the Reading/Comprehension. Overall, I have to try again next month. I don't get it, the scenarios I had I answered off of what I have experienced on ride alongs. You see somebody suspicious you stop them and check them for warrents correct? That was my answer. Isn't the key to give people a ticket no matter how big or small the crime? That is what I thought. And what about when you get dispatched to a robbery, are you going to stop and help people on an entrance ramp to a freeway who have a flat tire? Uhh, no, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe my military training clouded my judgement on that, I guess next time I will answer the questions by not giving tickets, and disobeying dispatch.
      --What is required when dispatched and something else comes up?
      --What about giving everyone a ticket?
      --If somebody doesn't commit a crime but is suspicious, is it better to just watch them or ignore them as apposed to checking them for warrents?
      Please help, this portion sucked and made no sense. I thought I did good, guess I was wrong
      Last edited by Brownie; 08-26-2005, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Took the test in Gilbert and failed the video portion and got a 93 on the Reading/Comprehension. Overall, I have to try again next month. I don't get it, the scenarios I had I answered off of what I have experienced on ride alongs. You see somebody suspicious you stop them and check them for warrents correct? That was my answer. Isn't the key to give people a ticket no matter how big or small the crime? That is what I thought. And what about when you get dispatched to a robbery, are you going to stop and help people on an entrance ramp to a freeway who have a flat tire? Uhh, no, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe my military training clouded my judgement on that, I guess next time I will answer the questions by not giving tickets, and disobeying dispatch.
        --What is required when dispatched and something else comes up?
        --What about giving everyone a ticket?
        --If somebody doesn't commit a crime but is suspicious, is it better to just watch them or ignore them as apposed to checking them for warrents?
        Please help, this portion sucked and made no sense. I thought I did good, guess I was wrong

You answer to the flat tire sounds right. The others sound a little too gung-ho to me. Even if you are going to check the guy for warrants you don't say it out loud. You say you will either observe him to see if he does something or make contact and find out what he is doing. Officers have a great lattitude in making the decision to write a ticket or not. Not everyone gets a ticket, it's all dependent upon the situation at hand.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the quick reply, I needed advise on this. I guess I will try next month and see what happens. I really want to get hired at one of these two departments. I think that if I fail on these two then I will try Phoenix. What is DPS? Department of Public Safety? What do they do?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I needed advise on this. I guess I will try next month and see what happens. I really want to get hired at one of these two departments. I think that if I fail on these two then I will try Phoenix. What is DPS? Department of Public Safety? What do they do?
            DPS is the Department of Public Safety which is the AZ Highway Patrol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5656 users online. 320 members and 5336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X