300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Interview and Polygraph

I was in hopes I could get some feedback on some of the experiences any of you have had with your initial background interview or polygraph, hopefully specifically with LAPD. I am schedualed for both next week, though with background interview I am not sure what to expect. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Originally posted by jrouss
    I was in hopes I could get some feedback on some of the experiences any of you have had with your initial background interview or polygraph, hopefully specifically with LAPD. I am schedualed for both next week, though with background interview I am not sure what to expect. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
    no experience with LAPD as i am here on the right coast
    im no pro, however i can offer my advice... take it for what its worth...
    during my initial background interview, i was painfully honest... i broke things out from way back when... i think the latest i went back was at the age of 10 when a friend of mine decided to play with some matches and light an action figure on fire in the middle of the woods... some time later we noticed the woods had cought fire, but i could have swore he and i both stomped the action figure out, but the dry south carolina summer heat may have caused things to reignite... who knows... but fact of the matter is, be as honest as you can be during your initial interview, and do not leave anything out...
    if you decided during your polygraph that "you just so happened to remember" this one time you decided to steal some wheels and tires bak when you were 16 and it slipped your mind.... that will throw up red flags and you can consider your self bagged and tagged for rejection...

be confident but do not display over confidence or a cocky attitude...
    the panel interview is much more nerve racking than the initial background interview, so use this IBI to maybe work on your speaking skills and what not...
    just my personal opinion on the bi.

Comment

also to add alittle tot he polygraph portion...
      play by the polygraph operators rules... dont be a cocky sob towards him, if you guys clash right away, then consider it a done deal as well... the accuracy of the polygraph is dependent upon the operator and his/her techinques...
      if they try to corner you or pin you down dont let it get to you...
      for instance, if you stole something when you were 17 and the operator says to you " well you know thats grand larceny! it happend 7 years ago, we could still charge you for that!!!" DO NOT fire back at him/her and try to defend yourself, just swallow your pride and explain that you relize what you did was wrong...

my first polygraph i ever took was at the age of 18 for the fairfax county police department... my poly operator and i didnt get along to well... during the pre poly interview i told him the story about the action figure deal and he said " so in orther words, your an arsonist and guilty of arson?!" needless to say, i didnt swallow my pride, i said "excuse me? not even! you of all people should know that here in the state of virginia if no property damage over $100 was reported then that person can not be charged with arson, and its definently not aggravated arson because no one was injured so try again."

i didnt pass, but it doesnt surprise me... that same operator has tried to down me every time another agency calls them to release the results of my application process... im glad both the state police and chesapeake police department looked past this guys obvious dislike for me....
      i was hired with chesapeake PD.
      Last edited by VAsteve20; 08-25-2005, 06:28 PM.

Comment

VAsteve20,

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am just somewhat confused as to what the background interview is exactly. Not to sound painfully niave, I know it's just what it says, a background interview, but how is it conducted? My intial application packet really didn't get into anything specific other than references and finances as well as work and education. There was nothing about criminal behavior other than when I submitted a 10 question prelim background at my testing. Did they give you any other paperwork to fill out or was it all verbal? I've lived a pretty clean life, though I'm worried I'm going to forget something and get slammed.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jrouss
          VAsteve20,

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am just somewhat confused as to what the background interview is exactly. Not to sound painfully niave, I know it's just what it says, a background interview, but how is it conducted? My intial application packet really didn't get into anything specific other than references and finances as well as work and education. There was nothing about criminal behavior other than when I submitted a 10 question prelim background at my testing. Did they give you any other paperwork to fill out or was it all verbal? I've lived a pretty clean life, though I'm worried I'm going to forget something and get slammed.

Thanks again.
          my initial interview with fairfax county 4 years ago was pretty in depth...
          we covered everything from a-z... hell this guy even asked me about my sex partners, how many, when, where, whatever... it was kind of weird...
          however the other two agencies i tested with didnt ask anything of the sort.

LAPD im sure is different but mine went like this:
          walked into a room, met my background investigator... she had a nice list of questions for me... she wrote down the answers... mostly criminal history, verify drug usage, alcohol usage, medication usage, etc etc...
          then she verified all my emplyment records i had listed, then varified references...
          they seem to do this to see how consistant you are... the less consistant you are, the more probable you are to being deciving ... according tot he agency that is...

then my polygraph basically did another interview type deal to varify all my statements were accurate to the best of my knowledge, then we went ovr the questions he was going to ask during the actual polygraph...
          he then hooked up the finger sensors, cuff, pneumo tubs and started the exam... we ran 2 charts and i was done and given my conditional offer for employment.

Comment

I am not an LEO, so take my answers with that in mind. I'm currently at the end of the LAPD process, so I might be able to help.

I've been asked not to go into specifics about the interview by the background investigators, so I will keep to my word..

You will be asked in a group setting to sit and answer various questions about your background, which may include employment, drug use, ect.. Wherever their is a problem in your background, you will be asked to explain in writing, what the issues were. Once that is complete, you will meet with a BI, and they will go over any questionable answers with you. That is it...

I am "guessing" that they will use these answers to form the questions for your polygraph, and will be looking for anything that is inconsistant in your answers. So my advice, be as brutally honest as you can. I listed some things that made the BI chuckle, but I'm glad I listed them and got a laugh, instead of getting the BI ****ed when they had to drag the info out of me...

*** Please delete my post, if I have said something I shouldn't have***
            Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3083 users online. 183 members and 2900 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X