Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible transfer to Ga?

Hey all,
    I'm really gearing this question to anyone presently working in Ga. However always welcome any advice from anyone with any knowledge on this topic.

My husband is the LEO in New Jersey (14 years) We have 3 kids. The youngest is now 4 and has a severe speech disability, as well as other developmental delays/disabilities. With that said, I have done some research to help her. And my sister who lives in North Fulton County, Duluth Ga, has also been trying to help me with resources for my little girl.

One of the things I have noticed, is Altanta has some awesome resources!!!
    Therapy clinics, speech schools, support groups etc. Yes NJ has some, but not in my local area- approx. a 2 hour drive for a support group? NOT! The same with a speech school, UNLESS your child is deaf, which she is NOT, although non of my kids listen to me, lol. The therapy clinics we have here are VERY expensive,about $200/hr. Our insurance comp, from his dept DOES NOT COVER speech, Unless your child had a head injury or stroke)
    We are trying to change contracts, but that has been a struggle as well.

Anyway, moving onto my questions.
    1) Would any police dept, county or otherwise consider my husbands credientials for employment. I can't go into all of it, but after 14 years on the job, almost 10 of them being a detective, hopefully you would get an idea of what is in his "jacket" as he says.
    Also he does not have a college degree. He did 1 year at WVU, but partied a little to much, hence the reason ONLY 1 year, and no degree. Aside from the academy, he has been to numerous schools/training classes over the years.

2) Would they take these years into consideration as far as pay. I have seen a few websites from various PD's saying UP to 5 years.

3) Would they take his pension plan into theirs for a latteral move?
    We couldn't possibly start from scratch without his pension too.

4) I've seen starting salaries from the low 30's and max out at the high 40's
    Is there anything else that we could do to "sweeten" the deal to get something a little more close to what he earns. A particular pd, or county sherrifs, possibly GBI. Right now with his OT, we err rather he earns close to 90 a year.

I would love to try to give my little girl a better chance at being a successful, and productive citizen. And I have so many doubts with that here in Jersey.

Please no sarcasm with my questions.. And Iam certainly not trying to insult anyone either. I apologize for such a long post

Thanks..
    A cops wife in Jersey

Jerzmom,

After reading your post I can only hope the best works out for your family. I'm on the job in New Jersey and have been looking to move out of this state for several different reasons. First and foremost is wanting to raise my kids outside of this state. My background is very similar to your husbands and the concerns you raise are similar to mine. During my search I have found the salary and pension will be the roadblock. New Jersey agencies pay scales are on the high end of the national averages. As a result, it is difficult to accept a position with a lower salary. As you know, the cost of living in this state increases by the month and is extremely high (taxes, insurance, etc). While relocating may help offset the salary to expense ratio, it is difficult to take the cut in pay. I have found that while some departments will negotiate a salary it is difficult to reach a higher number that you would feel comfortable with in the decision making process. Without going point by point in relation to your posting, I can tell you that if your family does decide to move on that there may be a "hit." I've taken this approach, I will keep looking and wanting the best for my family. The rest will work out. Again, I hope for the best for you and your family. (I hope this posting will not be discouraging to you.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerzmomof4
      1) Would any police dept, county or otherwise consider my husbands credientials for employment. I can't go into all of it, but after 14 years on the job, almost 10 of them being a detective, hopefully you would get an idea of what is in his "jacket" as he says.
      Also he does not have a college degree. He did 1 year at WVU, but partied a little to much, hence the reason ONLY 1 year, and no degree. Aside from the academy, he has been to numerous schools/training classes over the years.
      2) Would they take these years into consideration as far as pay. I have seen a few websites from various PD's saying UP to 5 years.
      The good news is that he would probably have no problems getting hired by any number of metro Atlanta departments. The bad news is that 90K salary is probably not a possibility, even with some extra-jobs (what we call off-duty employment). With Atlanta PD, he would start at 42K. Then again, I don't what the cost of living is where you are compared to Atlanta, but I'll bet it's probably cheaper here. Look it up on one of those cost-of-living calculators. You can find 'em on Google.

3) Would they take his pension plan into theirs for a latteral move?
      We couldn't possibly start from scratch without his pension too.
      Ya'll would probably have to cash out his current pension if he's not vested and roll it into a 401K or a SEP. I don't think our pension board would let him buy in, but I don't know about other departments. There's also a state sponsored pension called the Peace Officer's Annuity & Benefit Fund you can buy into on your own.

4) I've seen starting salaries from the low 30's and max out at the high 40's
      Is there anything else that we could do to "sweeten" the deal to get something a little more close to what he earns. A particular pd, or county sherrifs, possibly GBI. Right now with his OT, we err rather he earns close to 90 a year.
      GBI starting pay sucks. They start less than most metro ATL PD's.
      http://www.ganet.org/gbi/specagt.html. They do give you a car though, but there's no guarantee you'd be in metro Atlanta. In fact, he'd probably be starting out somewhere else in the state. Those resources you spoke of wouldn't be the same in Hahira, Americus, or Dalton.

Check out the web sites for Cobb County PD, Dekalb County PD, Gwinnett County PD, Alpharetta PD, Roswell PD, Marietta PD and MARTA PD (the transit authority). Fulton County has a PD, but they may have some issues coming up. A large unicorporated area of north Fulton called Sandy Springs will become a city on Dec. 1. They will be the 6th largest city in the state (pop. 85K). In a year or so, they may form their own PD, and alot of Fulton County officers will probably defect.

I would love to try to give my little girl a better chance at being a successful, and productive citizen. And I have so many doubts with that here in Jersey.
      I feel for you. I have a little girl the same age and there's no sacrifice I wouldn't make for her. I wish you & your husband and family the best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Comment

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by Groundhog
        Then again, I don't what the cost of living is where you are compared to Atlanta, but I'll bet it's probably cheaper here. Look it up on one of those cost-of-living calculators. You can find 'em on Google.
        I did so, and in order to have the same "purchase power" we would have to make approx. 67,000. It also did tell me how much cheaper Atlanta is compared to NJ. Just as an example, Atlanta homes are 50% cheaper.

Ya'll would probably have to cash out his current pension if he's not vested and roll it into a 401K or a SEP. I don't think our pension board would let him buy in, but I don't know about other departments. There's also a state sponsored pension called the Peace Officer's Annuity & Benefit Fund you can buy into on your own.

Well, that just sucks. And he's not vested till 25 years in. I'll have to look into the POAB.

Those resources you spoke of wouldn't be the same in Hahira, Americus, or Dalton.
        The resources I was referring to for my daughter, are all In Atlanta, or neighboring towns/cities, Roswell, Alpharetta, Duluth, Marietta as well as others. The magazine that my sister sent to me is "Atlanta Parent" they also have a web site, AtlantaParent. com that lists a SLEW of resources available for children with "different needs"

Check out the web sites for Cobb County PD, Dekalb County PD, Gwinnett County PD, Alpharetta PD, Roswell PD, Marietta PD and MARTA PD (the transit authority). Fulton County has a PD,
        I have checked them all out. All are pretty much the same, max out salary under $50,000

A large unicorporated area of north Fulton called Sandy Springs will become a city on Dec. 1. They will be the 6th largest city in the state (pop. 85K). In a year or so, they may form their own PD, and alot of Fulton County officers will probably defect.
        Please don't laugh, BUT I almost wonder, if Sandy Springs would be worth the while to wait and see what they have to offer. We also noted, the benifits along with the salary are not all that great. There is no shift diff. pay, the clothing allowence is MUCH lower. ($300 vs, 1500 here)

[QUOTE]
        I feel for you. I have a little girl the same age and there's no sacrifice I wouldn't make for her. I wish you & your husband and family the best of luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
        Thanks for your understanding, and time to reply back to me.
        Jerzmom

Comment

I don't know very much about other pensions, but mine at APD OK. It has it's good points and bad points. We have a 3% per year of service multiplier and are vested at 15 years, with a cap of 80%. Pretty good for a right-to-work state. Spousal benefits are 75%, which the best in the state. The downside is that retirement age is 55 with pretty substantial age penalties for early retirement. For people like me who start young, it sucks. I gotta work 33 years to get what somebody who started at 28 works 27 years to get.

I don't how old your husband is, but ifhe's 35, he could come here, work 20 years, then walk with 60% of his salary. With what he's been paying into your pension in NJ sitting in an IRA, you'd do OK.

Comment

I don't know very much about other pensions, but mine at APD OK. It has it's good points and bad points. We have a 3% per year of service multiplier and are vested at 15 years, with a cap of 80%. Pretty good for a right-to-work state. Spousal benefits are 75%, which the best in the state. The downside is that retirement age is 55 with pretty substantial age penalties for early retirement. For people like me who start young, it sucks. I gotta work 33 years to get what somebody who started at 28 works 27 years to get.
            This is a topic I really don't know to much about. What I do know is, retirement is after 25 years, and I believe 80% of pay. I don't think there is an age limit on when you have to retire

I don't how old your husband is, but ifhe's 35, he could come here, work 20 years, then walk with 60% of his salary. With what he's been paying into your pension in NJ sitting in an IRA, you'd do OK.
            He will be 39 soon. I need to look into rolling over the pension into an IRA, or something similiar. Another thing I've been wondering about it possible positions open in the academy as a training officer. Any idea what they pay? Probably something similiar to the depts down there. Not sure if he would meet all the requirements, but with tactical training he has had, and other various things, its a possibility. Just trying to be optimistic here.
            Also have been looking into the Federal jobs, at the OPM website.

Thanks for all your help. If anything turns up grand, I'll let ya know.

Comment

Ok their are several things you need to look at before moving to G.A . Georgia is a at will work state that means if he comes down here and something happens with his job he has no protections under G.A. law while he is in his probationary period . Now im not trying to scare you but I think you should know the pros and cons before makeing a move to G.A. . So lets say hypotheticly something does happen as he is terminated guess what the G.A. POST Council will place him under a post investigation wich will last about a year long while under file review he will be black balled no agency will hire him . Now I may **** alot of people off by telling you this but I wish someone would have told me in the beginning I found out the hard way . I was myself wrongfully terminated and subjected to a year long post investigation and after I was cleared all I got was a pat on the back , good luck with your career in the meanwhile they had completely derailed my career nearly . I dont know much about New Jersey but if that state is a right to work state you might want to stay where you are regardless of your deciscion good luck .
              STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

Another thing I've been wondering about it possible positions open in the academy as a training officer. Any idea what they pay? Probably something similiar to the depts down there.
                Most of the larger metro Atlanta departments run their own in-house academy (under POST guidelines, of course), therefore their academy staff is comprised of officers & supervisors from the ranks. The money is the same no matter what the assignment.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your input.
                  I think my desires of my heart, is getting in the way of my brain in making the right fianancial desicion. We simply cannot give up what my husband has worked so hard for here in NJ. But then on the flip side, I also have to think of my daughter. Whats best for her. Something has to work out, with the grace of God, Im sure something will.
                  If anything comes up in the near future, I'll let you know.

Be safe..
                  Jerzmom

Comment

There are other alternatives. CBP has a large number of officers working at Hartsfield airport, probably close to 250. The journeylevel position is GS-11, and if your husband tested in the next test and passes every part, then you can hold out for Atlanta. Right now GS11 salary is $52K per year. CBP officers where I work average $10K in OT. In Atlanta, it's about double that, plus ATL has a higher COLA = $1800.00 more per year just for being there.

Yearly COLA raises have averaged 3.1% for the last 20 years. Basically in ten years you would see a 30% raise in income, not including his merit raises.

The money you draw out of his pension fund could go into your home to help defer expenses for the first two years until he reached his journey level. He'd likely start as a GS7, then move up to GS9 a year later, and a year after that to GS11. Short story is that in TWO years, he'll be making about $56K per year salary, plus whatever he brings home in OT, the housing is cheaper, and if he works for the feds, he'll have more flexibility to go whereever your daughter needs you to go. If he has federal time in the form of Military or fed employee time, then that will count towards retirement.

Also, we get shift differential of 15% more for evenings and 20% for nights. 11 paid holidays, 50% diff on sundays, 4 hours of leave both sick and annual per bi-weekly pay period. After 3 years of service that time goes up to 6 hours per pay period, and after 15, you get a full day per pay period. I'm approaching the 8 hour mark, and I'll have 26 paid days off per year plus the 11 paid holidays.... It's hard to beat, you just have to sacrifice for the first couple of years. Flip side is if you sell your home (if you own) in NJ, you probably will have enough to buy a nice place in the metro area for the amount you make off of the sale, or at least enough to make the payment like $500.00 or so per month....

GL!

Comment

Damn...you got me thinking about leaving....

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                        Damn...you got me thinking about leaving....
                        Come on!

Comment

Originally posted by formerNOPD
                          Come on!
                          I passed that magic number age of 37 some time ago.

Comment

I spent ten miserable years in NJ law enforcement....I left nearly three years ago for Arizona and fell in love with it..I took nearly a 25,000 dollar pay cut to come here..I now own a motorcycle, a condo on lake and a house.....I dont miss the cut throat politics. miserable working conditions and all the other BS I had to put up with in NJ...All the guys think about in NJ is money....All I can say is that I am alot happier and I learned money isnt everything

Comment

Ga retirement

Most metro Atlanta cities are members of Georgia Municipal Association, where all of their resources are pooled for retirement benefits. You might want to check with them to see if any of hubbys retirement from up there can be transfered or "bought into". I have worked for 4 PD's in the metro ATL area for the last 17 years, and each of them were members of GMA.

Good Luck,
                              RSS603

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5561 users online. 342 members and 5219 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X