Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you after 3 attempts are not getting a full time leo position then the problems does definately lie within. So a mirror will be your best tool to help get you hired. Nothing else can help.

Comment

FutureLE,

I went to a residential academy where we left Sunday afternoon(between 2-5:00PM) for the academy and we got home between 9:00PM and 10:00PM Friday night. (Those who lived in Buffalo often got home early hours of Saturday)

All those people on the fence concerned about missing their family and family occasions quit the academy at some stage or another. One of the guys I car pooled with quit after 6 weeks because his kids and wife cried every week he left and this guy spent7 yrs in the military including tours in Bosnia and Afganistan!?!?

Now that I have just started the job I noticed my 12 hour days are closer to 14hours away from my family. I have no regrets because they annoy me most of the time, but that is just me!

Anyway, whatever decision you make good luck, but if you chose LE expect to be away from your family.. Don't be a long haul trucker or join the military either...
      Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

I used to think the same way. I originally wanted to work in the 9-5 business world. I look at it as job security. With all the downsizing and bankruptcies in the private sector (which I experienced first hand) I just happy to have steady employment. I may not have a 9-5, Mon-Fri job with weekends and holidays off but I'm alot happier. With all the BS I put up with regarding poor schedules and other dangers, I feel I am compensated with Off-Time and other little perks..
        ""Liberals are liberal until something happens to them or someone they love, then they want the rules to change"

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It definetly has been weighing on my conscience lately..Family or what I really want to do career wise-- Guess I need to decide soon.. Thanks for the replies

Originally posted by wannabeenytrp
          FutureLE,

I went to a residential academy where we left Sunday afternoon(between 2-5:00PM) for the academy and we got home between 9:00PM and 10:00PM Friday night. (Those who lived in Buffalo often got home early hours of Saturday)

All those people on the fence concerned about missing their family and family occasions quit the academy at some stage or another. One of the guys I car pooled with quit after 6 weeks because his kids and wife cried every week he left and this guy spent7 yrs in the military including tours in Bosnia and Afganistan!?!?

Now that I have just started the job I noticed my 12 hour days are closer to 14hours away from my family. I have no regrets because they annoy me most of the time, but that is just me!

Anyway, whatever decision you make good luck, but if you chose LE expect to be away from your family.. Don't be a long haul trucker or join the military either...

Comment

FutureLE,

As a 20 yr veteran and still on the job, and as a former Police Recruiter, I suggest you go for it. That is the only way you will know for sure if LE is for you. I commend you for expressing your doubts, which are normal when making a radical life change like becoming a Police Officer.

I disagree with Bodie and feel that you MUST be excited about the job when you start!!!!!!!!! Most cops are at the job because they LIKE the work and are pumped by the action. This is very important for a new Officer because there is damn sure little else attractive about the job (stress, pay, shift work, administration, etc.)

It's not until you get about 10 yrs on that the action gets a little old, and your main goal is making it to retirement (which is pretty good compared to private industry) By the time you get 20 yrs under your belt you are sick and tired of LE and just want to get out of the chaos. I retired at 20 and left for about a year and got back into LE because I realized that I missed the job itself- the act of doing a noble job that helps other people. It gives my life meaning to be a cop, and you will know if the job is right for you almost immiedietly. You will know for sure then.

Go for It!! Just my .02

DeltaCop
            "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
            Khe Sanh

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the very helpful reply. I too disagree with Bodie, I thought having a passion or excitement for LE was a good thing.. Anyway, I think I am going to keep going for it and if it works out, then worst case I wont like it and I can move on. I may find that I am able to see my family and enjoy my work. But as you said, I will never know till I try it.

Thanks again for the encouragement

Originally posted by DeltaCop
              FutureLE,

As a 20 yr veteran and still on the job, and as a former Police Recruiter, I suggest you go for it. That is the only way you will know for sure if LE is for you. I commend you for expressing your doubts, which are normal when making a radical life change like becoming a Police Officer.

I disagree with Bodie and feel that you MUST be excited about the job when you start!!!!!!!!! Most cops are at the job because they LIKE the work and are pumped by the action. This is very important for a new Officer because there is damn sure little else attractive about the job (stress, pay, shift work, administration, etc.)

It's not until you get about 10 yrs on that the action gets a little old, and your main goal is making it to retirement (which is pretty good compared to private industry) By the time you get 20 yrs under your belt you are sick and tired of LE and just want to get out of the chaos. I retired at 20 and left for about a year and got back into LE because I realized that I missed the job itself- the act of doing a noble job that helps other people. It gives my life meaning to be a cop, and you will know if the job is right for you almost immiedietly. You will know for sure then.

Go for It!! Just my .02

DeltaCop

Comment

Do you realize just how few the 9-5 monday thru friday jobs are? I have never held one, ever in 32 years. If you are a lawyer, or a doctor, or another professional that works for yourself, that may be a possibilty, but if you work for any corporation, the odds are against you.

So I see Law Enforcement no different than any other job. Hard work and long hours, but punctuated with sheer terror and comic opera of humanity you interact with. Plus you get to work with a lot of good people.
                Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

Does anyone think that going 0/6 is unusual if there are skeletons in the closet? Not talking about anyone in particular but Im saying that teenage drugs, minor arrests etc.. etc.. might make 0/6 not that surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by IGrokIt
                    Does anyone think that going 0/6 is unusual if there are skeletons in the closet? Not talking about anyone in particular but Im saying that teenage drugs, minor arrests etc.. etc.. might make 0/6 not that surprising.

Why are these people posting about their cases in my thread?? Just curious as to why you guys are starting your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                      How about apperance ? Are you overweight, or small ?
                      Many things combine to get you cut out of the hiring process...
                      What does small have to do with not being hired? And what is considered small? Thin? Short?

Comment

Do you realize just how few the 9-5 monday thru friday jobs are?
                        I am curious as well to see exactly what the "average" recruits hours would consist of (and I know all Departments are different). Or for that matter, what the hours of established officers whom are posting in this thread are. Maybe the shifts/hours won't be that bad for FutureLE. I work 55 hours per week in the business world with no OT so I don't see how LE hours can be worse. Yes it sucks to miss time with my baby and wife but I get to do so on the weekends. And in LE if you have to work the weekends, than I would spend time with them on any other day of the week I had off.

Also FutureLE, as a father of a baby I sympathize with you. But I think you'd be hard pressed in today's economy to find very many rewarding and decent paying jobs in which your schedule would be accommodating (except a teacher of course but that's not high paying).

Follow your dreams FutureLE, everything else will fall into place.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE
                          I have my oral board interview at the end of this month with a county that is one of my first choices. Problem is, I am starting to have second thoughts about going into LE. Mainly, the fact that I could miss holidays, my sons birthday and other family events, compared to other jobs where they are closed on holidays.. The only other profession I would consider is being a teacher, but that doesnt excite me like police work.

I am stuck in a bind, I dont want to drop out of the application process and the regret it, but I hate to continue it, if I am not 100% sure..

This is the only thing that is making me have second thoughts... Any suggestions or ideas??

Thanks
                          There are many sacrifices that come with being an LEO, and working holidays/weekends/birthdays are a few of them. If you are unwilling to miss these days, then this is not the career for you. Furthermore, don't continue the process if you are not 100% certain. You are only wasting the department's time and your own. If you are not 100% certain about anything, do not pursue it. Just my thoughts. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
                          "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3314 users online. 172 members and 3142 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X