300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Balled

I have 17 years LE experience, and am trying to "get back into it" here in the south Metro Atlanta area after a 1.5 year absence from LE. I have applied with several agencies here on the south side, but without much luck. The way it usually goes is I apply, get called in for a test, interview, and then never hear from the agency again.
    I recently was interviewing with a county police dept. down here, when the BI told me that when he contacted my most recent LE employer, that the Capt. at that agency bassically told the BI that I was the biggest piece of crap and a terrible trouble maker. When the BI told me this, I was suprised to say the least! The BI told me that I was a "no go" with his agency until he could go to my previous agency and pull my personnel file.
    Has anyone else had this experience? I'm lost as to what to do! If what the BI says is true, then it would explain why I never heard anything else from the other agencies. I thought that all the previous employer could tell over the phone was confirm I worked there, salary and whether or not the employee was eligble for rehire. From what the BI says, it sounds almost as if it would satisfy the elements of the crime for slander!
    Any help or advise anyone can give, please please let me know!

If you can verify that they are saying stuff like that, then you could sue. What does your personnel file say? Remember... the truth is an absolute defense against libel and slander. If they've documented that you're "the biggest piece of crap and a terrible trouble maker", then you're likely screwed.

Be very careful here... I'd talk to an attorney who works in this field. I'd say "Have a friend call them up, pretend to be a potential employer, and ask about you", but I don't know if there are legal pitfalls with doing that with a police department. I'd also say you'd want proof of what's being said, but recording the call would likely be a big no-no.

Get a lawyer.

Comment

Traditionally, comments from employers need to be consistent with what is actually documented in your performance evaluations and other personnel documents. Otherwise, giving someone a good, written performance evaluation while giving a negative verbal evaluation to a prospective employer is grounds for a great civil suit.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I worked as a Recruiter for the Agency I retired from for a couple of years. You are right in that all employers are supposed to tell is if you worked there, and if you are eligible for rehire. But, as a Law Enforcement Agency hiring for an emergency service position the Agency would be foolish to stop with just that information, especially if talking to another LE Agency where you worked at before. That is what a signed release form is for. Once you sign that the BI can talk to anybody in your past he deems necessary to interview. The BI has a tremendous responsibility to look through what he may get from a telephone interview, and actually go look at your files. In other words if the BI is using only one interview from an Officer at a past job to make his decision then he is not doing a good job on your case.

If you really were a problem Officer, and the files document that, your out of luck. If not, you have a good case. What I would do is contact the Recruiter or Background Investigator handling your case and tell them about what has been happening and ask them to look at your files to see the real you, instead of just getting a phone interview.

If that is the only way the LE you are applying at verifies information then Im not sure I would want to work there!!!!!!!!! Think of the people that actually made the cut and slipped through the cracks!!!!!!!

DeltaCop
        "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
        Khe Sanh

Comment

Update

Thanks to everyone for the imput. I have an appointment at city hall w/ the offending agency on Thurs. to review/copy my personnel file(s), so hopefully I'll be able to prove that what's being said about me isn't true, we'll see.

RSS603

Comment

Yes that is a problem in this state I myself was wrongfully terminated by Gwinnett County S.O. And I also feel that I am being Blackballed too . The plain truth of the matter is you will never really know what is being said about you in my case I have all the proper documentation to prove it was wrongfull termination . All you can do is just hope that the agency will look at the facts and not someones opinion . But in Georgia agencies have unchecked power and the Post GA Council does not regulate agencies hiring guide lines good luck .
            STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

But why are you be "blackballed" ???
              We're hearing you're whining but have no file to look at etc. so it just could be there is enough in your file to make you taboo to any agency.
              Agencies can't just do this without facts to back them up.
              AND you know this too or you would be contacting a labor attorney rahtehr then saying your being "blackballed".

By the wya "blackballed" is usually just one black marble in the cup in this case there would have to be quite a few.

Comment

I can add some inof here for you. I just had the same dam problem with my last agency when they were contacted for an employment ref. The BI at the new agency was a friend of mine and she knew me. She decided to pay the department a visit and check my personal file, keep in mind that this agency only has 5 officers and no policy manual, When she arrived she met this ***** of a capt, let me tell you about him when i satrted their he was a reserve for only 6 months in his whole life. That is the only agency he ever worked for and the cheif is his uncle. So, when the BI met with him he started telling her that i am a piece of shi* and a liar all blah blah bah .She said i want to see his file and looked inot my file and saw my orignal fto forms from when i worked their and were signed by the fto, whick was the captain at the time and he left becasue of this as*, ans was signed by me. They had a rating of all 6 which the scale is 1-7 then their were 4 fto forms on top of them with all 1 and said blah blah and were sighned by this as*. She wasnted to take some copies and he sadi no then she told him that she believed that they were forged. He snatched the files from her and told her to get out of his pd. She called her cheif and explaine dwhat happened he told her to leave. FDLE was contaced and they send an agent to look at my file and the forms were missing. The BI gave a statement to fdle and said she did see them adn tehy are setting a review board for the new captain no. Oh yea he is the capt now and only has 6months of law enforcement as a reserve. that is aslo being investigated. Anyways, the BI told her cheif that my file was good and that they tried to set me up and i was hired and now we are all waiting to see if we can pull his certification becasue he sadi under oath that he never seen those in my file.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  We're hearing you're whining but have no file to look at etc. so it just could be there is enough in your file to make you taboo to any agency.
                  AND you know this too or you would be contacting a labor attorney rahtehr then saying your being "blackballed".

By the wya "blackballed" is usually just one black marble in the cup in this case there would have to be quite a few.

Bodie, I don't know if you're familiar with agencies down south, but it can and does happen to good officers all the time. I had a heck of a time in the New Orleans metro area getting hired due to this back room good ole boy system after I quit from N.O.P.D. Went out west, and in 3 months I had offers from several agencies, had completed my state certification etc...
                  The BI for my federal position actually took the time to go down and talk with people I used to work with about my performance and more than just one or two - he interviewed at least 6 people I know - all cops that I used to work with that gave him the "real" scoop, not the BS that the department would like to smear on you for leaving them. Some departments are very defensive when good guys leave, and some are downright vindictive... The old "you'll never work in this state again" routine....
                  It's sad, but true.

Comment

Response to Bodie

Bodie,
                    Georgia is a "right to work state" with no rights for labor other than those extended to the employee from the employer.
                    "Whining"???????
                    My original post was regarding what the previous Captian was telling the BI verbally, which in most cases the BI will not travel to the agency to check the file if given a bad verbal phone reference from the employer. You know, good ole boy system, don't like it, but it's there.
                    As far as a labor attorney goes, wish I knew one who would take it pro bono, but down here most labor attorneys specialize in protecting the employer.
                    As far as how many "black marbels"? Well, down here, it only takes one, and if it's from the most recent agency, then usually the BI can't get around/over that enough to check the other agencies in employment prior to the most recent.
                    You also have to remember, down here, for every 1 open position, there is usually 10-12 people applying for it.
                    I understand that up north, things are probably better regarding state labor laws/rights as well as available positions.

RSS603

Comment

Bodie is Ohio a right to work state ? I can tell you this much Georgia is not . That means agencies can disciminate against you through their hiring guide lines . Let me give you a example I applied for the Gainesville Police department I was told that I met all the requirments but because I had been terminated from a civil service position they would not hire me I showed them all of my paper from the G.A. department of Labor stating that I was wrongfully terminated , I submitted paper work showing that the agency wich fired me cleared me before they let me go . And I also gave them the findings of the G.A. Post Council clearing me of any wrong doing and upholding my certification . All of this did not matter they told me even if I was wrongfully terminated it would not affect their decision . Yes the good old boy system is alive and well in G.A. . My advice to any officers taking jobs down here is more like a warning G.A. is not a Law Enforcement friendly state until legislation is passed to prevent agencies from openly discriminating against you through their hiring guidelines my opinion about this state will not change . In 2004 I was cleared of any wrong doing in a Post case regarding the reasons why I was terminated rigt now if anybody pulls up my training record you will see past post case the matter has been closed but the state of G.A. just has to keep rubbing your face in it so I will forever have to keep explaining my story over and over to everybody I apply too . The case is closed I should be able to go on with my life this **** gets old I promise you .

Comment

Officers,

I would not take Bodies comments to seriously! This quote is a response to an officer that was concerned about contacting a member of the Hells Angels.

No law enforcemnet officer should ever encounter any problem with these guys. Usually polite and reasonable people. I used to know the national president of the Avengers.
                        Only a rookie or small town cop would think badly of thes guys and follow them or try to start anything.
                        Other then he was a biker you had no probably cause to follow. Especially tying up two units.
                        Some people love to stir the pot. We know you have a big spoon to stir with bodie, so sit behind your desk and eat something fattening.

Good luck Officers,

Sgttac

Comment

sgttac 8 yrs and a sgt great career congrats.
                          Try 25 and CHIEF. (Retired)
                          Ohio is not a right to work state thank god as far as police are concerned.
                          We have losty some nice manufacturing plants to the south because the people there are so hungry for the jobs they will accept hlaf the wages paid up here.

Black Balled would get somebody in deep crap here.
                          If somebody quits we can only show thier resignation letter and file. We can make no comment. If they are terminated we can only show the reason and what led up to dismissal and again the file
                          Cops are much better off up here.

Comment

Bodie I value your opinion but I cannot agree with you on this . Yes I have all the paper work in the world to show I was wrongfully terminated but thats not the problem it is B.I. using their personal opinions instead of the facts thats how someone gets blackballed and in a will to work state they can get away with it .

Comment

Ah, the paragon of Ohio law enforcement again ducks the question. Bodie, are you going to keep ignoring the call-outs on your support for motorcycle gang members? Several people have called you on your remarks from that thread and you just keep ignoring them. Until you explain those comments quoted by Sgttac, you have zero credibility with other LEO's here. You can just keep spouting all your neagtive BS and holier-than-thou attitude.......maybe the civilians will buy it, but the rest of us ain't. The only LEO in that thread that supported your opinion got called out, had a temper tantrum and split.

Oh, and before you start slamming my credentials "Chief", what's wrong with being a Sergeant after 8 years?
                              Last edited by Groundhog; 08-27-2005, 03:10 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6001 users online. 329 members and 5672 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X