300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my record haunt me????

I have been researching as much as I have been able to about being a police officer. One thing I am worried about is my past. In high school I didnt hang out with the best crowd or make the best decisions. I have severeal misdemeanor arrests including underage possesion of alchoholx2 and petty theft, however the petty theft charge was dropped. Do I have to worry about any charges that were dropped or is simply being arrested for them enough to hold me back??? These were all juvenile charges and I am now 22 and have since learned the importanace of making the right choices and about to finish a very successful enlistment in the Marines.

Originally posted by shawnusmc
    I have been researching as much as I have been able to about being a police officer. One thing I am worried about is my past. In high school I didnt hang out with the best crowd or make the best decisions. I have severeal misdemeanor arrests including underage possesion of alchoholx2 and petty theft, however the petty theft charge was dropped. Do I have to worry about any charges that were dropped or is simply being arrested for them enough to hold me back??? These were all juvenile charges and I am now 22 and have since learned the importanace of making the right choices and about to finish a very successful enlistment in the Marines.
    On the one hand, you're 22 and all this happened just a few years ago. On the other, an honorable discharge from the Marine Corps. It's kind of a tossup... if the applicant pool you're being considered along with isn't stellar, you'll look very good. But if they have degrees, military service, etc. you aren't going to look all that hot.

If you already know where you want to be a police officer, I would call the departments in that area and ask them point-blank. They might say "No way". They might say "Sure, no problem." One department might not want to touch you, and you'll be perfect for another.

All you can do is try...

Comment

Well

The above post is true. You are 22 and a couple of yrs ago you were a criminal. If you really want to become a cop then you are going to have to apply to departments that are really, really bad off for cops. (Jobs that nobody want) and work there for a couple of yrs without the slightest hint of any character problems to be a decent looking applicant for other good LE jobs. Are you a minority or are you white? If you are white its going to be even harder.Any college credits? No, even harder then. You are going to have to make some difficult choices about being a cop. Are you willing to take a really low paying cop job to prove that you can be trusted. Are you willing to move to a city that is the 13th most expensive city on the planet earth?Are you willing to live like some kind of adult welfare child with no respect from your bosses? If you answered yes to the questions above, then sign up online for the NYPD test. Next test is in oct I think, and the academy starts in JAN 06. Starting pay is a disgraceful 25100.00. Its a horrible process for out of town applicants, but it can be done in about three days. Its called QUEST. I did it a couple of months ago for the 40k july academy. Its the only shot you have as far as depts hiring people with criminal backgrounds. Their maybe others but I don't know of them. But if you can get in with them and suffer/survive for several yrs you will be in pretty good shape for lateral transfers back to wherever you come from. Its still the nypd and its still very dangerous work if you are in some parts of brooklyn and the bronx. Good luck. God knows you'll need it.

Comment

What if you hung out with the wrong croud in High School but have no criminal record. I did some downright stupid things when I was younger. When the do the BI if any of it comes up will the BI dismiss it as adolecent mischeff. IE Partying 4 days a week. Hanging around people who smoked marijuana ECT.
        Thanks
        "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
        -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

Yes it will have a negative effect and may dq you before you get past the interview phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluntforcetraum
            What if you hung out with the wrong croud in High School but have no criminal record. I did some downright stupid things when I was younger. When the do the BI if any of it comes up will the BI dismiss it as adolecent mischeff. IE Partying 4 days a week. Hanging around people who smoked marijuana ECT.
            That was me It was also 15 years ago. If you're in your early 20s, a record like this looks bad, as the bad behavior is recent. They didn't really care about my "past indiscretions", as I have a long track record of not being a screwup since.

Comment

How many different times have you been arrested?
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4429 users online. 272 members and 4157 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X