Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the guts?

Hello all,
    My name is John and I've been on the forum for several months now. I am a college student in Wisconsin and am very interested in becoming an LEO. My question today is... well let me explain. As I get closer to making the desicion of wether to go into LE, I keep analyzing myself. I consider myself an easy going, nice guy and people have told me thats how they view me too. I am a decently big guy, but I have more of a baby face than some. The thing is, I don't have a "type A" personality, or alpha male outlook on things. I feel like since I am not the most forceful or aggressive person, that might detract from my eligibility in LE. Its not that I won't stand up for what I believe in, I just tend to go with the flow more often than not (except for situations were laws are involved, then I go with the law). I have ridden with many different LEO's and have seen many of them have similar personalities/social skills. So my question is, do you have to be a dominant/agressive/confident person to be considered for a job in LE, or are these skills and personality traits taught to you/come with working on the job. Maybe I am being vague, I just feel like I need to toughen up to deal with some of the crap you guys and gals see routinely. Thanks for any input/personal stories you can offer.

Best- John

Not sure if I'll answer your question but bere goes:

Cops come in all sorts of personalities. Many do have a type "A" personality but not always. That agressive personality does not always work either. Confidence, is the trait you want and need. If you don't have it perps can smell it like blood in the water. Your still somewhat young and will develop a "stronger" personality as you experiences in life come your way. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your personable and confident you'll do fine. As an officer you'll develop a more "crusty" personality. You'll be able to "read" people better and respond accordingly. It comes down to experience on the job. None of us came completely equiped to be Cops. There are people who realize they shouldn't be in the field and leave on there own, and unfortunately there are those who shouldn't be in the field and don't have a clue to leave.

Hope it helps. Good luck and if you really want to be a cop go for it. The little things will take care of themselves.

Comment

As CC said, confidence is key and a lot of that will come with good training. I don't believe a Type A personality is necessary, although the time will come when you have to be a hardass.
      d

Comment

Ill agree w/ the other 2 responses..you have to be very "Confident" in this job or people will walk all over you. (including other officers )

I would suggest attending a academy that is live in and para-military. This will instill some of the values and characteristics that you need to succeed in this job. And in life!!

In any event, good luck w/ your future and I hope everything works out for ya!

..... oh yeah,, and if you get in this line of work and after a few weeks,months,years whatever.. you feel that this job isnt for you..GET OUT!! Don't risk getting yourself or someone else hurt if the crap hits the fan.
        Last edited by scooterlee; 08-18-2005, 08:40 AM.
        ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Carcop
          Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

PeterGriffin (great name),

I know how you feel. I wasn't really concerned if I would be assertive enough, but I had reservations on how it would feel approaching people who I didn't know and take them somewhere they don't want to go. What I did was get a job in Loss Prevention. I did this to 1.) get job experience and 2.) develop "apprehension" experience. With every apprehension I got, I grew ever more confident. After a couple apprehensions I became much more relaxed, aware of the suspect, and confident of my decisions.

I don't work in LP anymore. I'm 99% sure Im getting on with Ft lauderdale PD in a few weeks, but the experience I got from LP definetly gave me confidence which i will need in my LEO career.

If you are interested in LP, send me a PM and I will help you with some options

Comment

I'd rather work with a cop that uses good common sense than an agressive "Rambo" type that creates situations where and when it's not necessary. You do have to be dominant and confident, but you don't always need to be aggressive.

I too, am an easy-going, big guy, and unless you **** me off and make it necessary for me to "get mean" I try to handle things on a low key level. I follow the dictum, "Be nice until it's time not to be nice. Then, be nice again."
              Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

[QUOTE=mobrien316]Carcop
                I got nothing for now

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys. As I get older, i think the confidence/knowledge will come too, so lets hope for the best .

Best- John

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6168 users online. 331 members and 5837 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X