X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lsmalibu
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodie
    It will get you EMPLOYED and PROMOTED. Without one you don't stand much of a chance.
    Hmmm, that's funny. I know 50+ cops without a degree. And I'm not even a cop.

Leave a comment:

• Bodie
    replied
    It will get you EMPLOYED and PROMOTED. Without one you don't stand much of a chance.

Leave a comment:

• will3516
    replied
    Some departments have an unwritten rule about wanting people to have them. Some depts will have something in their advertisemtns reading 60 hrs. or Associates degree prefferred. Some departments demand a degree.

Some places will often waive any type of degree or credit amount if you have X amount of years experience.

There is no set mandate on degrees though. I will suggest that you get a degree in something other that Criminal Justice / Criminology. etc. If you get a degree in something else, youll have something to fall back on if if you leave policework.

just my 2 cents though.

Leave a comment:

• normy0
    replied
    In PA some of the suburban departments require a full 4 year degree just to apply. Due to the pay they can. Also, with larger departments in PA usually 60 credits is required to apply but to get promoted above SGT a full 4 year degree is almost mandatory. Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    well at least on paper- " required to have degree" looks good
    but these city managers, chief's and sheriff's always use cronies
    for all the command staff or favorite assignments.

Leave a comment:

• NavyCop
    replied
    Last edited by NavyCop; 01-07-2012, 11:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic How far will a degree take you?

How far will a degree take you?

I know that a degree is always better than no degree, and I am working on mine now, but I'd like to hear inputs from you other officers around the country more specifically on how it gets you further in your career and what extra benefits it entitles you to in your department.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4951 users online. 310 members and 4641 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X