300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S Customs Inspector

Does anyone here know about U.S. Customs and how much they pay, hours, and any info abo it? I live in Miami and I heard they are looking to hire here. Also, how difficult is it to get hired and what do you need to qualify.

Originally posted by grullj
    Does anyone here know about U.S. Customs and how much they pay, hours, and any info abo it? I live in Miami and I heard they are looking to hire here. Also, how difficult is it to get hired and what do you need to qualify.
    OK,
    We'll take it step by step. US Customs inspectors and US Immigration inspectors no longer exist. In name anyway. We are now Customs and Border Protection Officers. INS, Customs and APHIS Agriculture inspections were merged back in 2003. I've been a CBPO now here for a few years, and have worked the miami airport during TDYs.

Miami has the seaport and the airport. Shifts are 5 days per week regular time, 8 hours per day.
    OT is available, moreso at the airports than seaports.

Pay:
    Starting wages are GS5 to GS7 depending on your qualifications and what you're willing to accept. Journey level is GS11. If you start as a 5, each year you'll get a raise from gs 5 to gs7, 7 to 9, and 9 to 11. From there you'll get step raises as well as COLA raises when congress gives them, which lately has been every year averaging 3.5% or so.

Go here for salary information, and keep in mind some localities, such as miami, make more than the base rate.

http://www.opm.gov/oca/05tables/index.asp

To get hired:
    The process is long, but not too hard. First you have to wait for a test announcement. To find out when the next test will be, keep an eye on this website www.cbp.gov . Click on the careers section. They will have a link when they open up testing for applicants to the www.usajobs.opm.gov website that will enable you to apply online.

Next, you'll receive your test date notification. Go and take the test, study the study guide and example questions they'll send you. The test is basic math, english and reading skills.

Next, if you pass that, you'll receive a packet that will instruct you further on what to do. Medical history, eye and hearing exams, PPD screening, background questionaire.

From there on to the oral board, and selection/hire.

On location, previously they have given choices as to where you'd like to go. There is no guarentee you'll get what you want, but some have held out and gotten just that. Others have held out and gotten passed over.
    I picked the best location they offered, and figured I could transfer later if I so pleased.

The job at the airport is mostly working at the primary immigration booth, or checking luggage at the airport for contraband.
    Seaports you do cargo inspection and immigration inspection of the ships that bring the cargo. The cbp homepage will give you a better idea.
    Hope this helps!

PS - the last test they gave was OCT 2003 I believe, so we should be due for another test soon - don't screw up and miss it - take it, even if you're not sure you want to do this, if you don't then you'll have to wait another several years....

Comment

Oh and I forgot - if you're a veteran, do claim the status, as it will help you on the test.

Vets pref 5 to 10 extra points on the test. I scored a 96 on the test and had a 5 point pref.

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22706

This thread may answer some questions as well.

GL!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2961 users online. 149 members and 2812 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X