300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobb County Police Department (ga.)

I'm Currently A Cop In South Florida And My Wife And I Considering Moving Up To The Cobb/paulding County Area, For The Obvious Reasons If You Know Anything About S. Fla. (i.e.-housing Out Of Control, ****tie Place To Raise Kids, Public Schools Suck And Oh Yeah The Hurricanes). I Was Looking At Cobb County Police Department Based On What I Saw On Their Web Site. If Anyone Works Or Knows Anyone Who Works For C.c.p.d. I Wanted To Know About The Pro's And Con's Of The Department.
    I.e.-contract/no Contract, Take Homes, Pay Scale/no Pay Scale- How Many Years To Top Out, Pension-what % Do Officers Contribute And At What % Do You Retire (i.e. 75%), Off Duty Details-hourly Rate, Is There Alot Of Details / Possiblity Of Making $15-$20k A Year In Details, Health, Dental, Vision Insurance (how Much For Family Coverage For Each), Overtime Available In General, Education Incentives-extra $ For A.a / B.s. Degree, Promotions-process, How Long To Make Cpl./p.o. Iii And Sgt. And Job Security. You Know Just The Basics. Thanks To Anyone With Information In Advance.

well they're CALEA certified that'd be good enough for me.

Comment

I can only answer a few of your questions. First Cobb is a nice county north of Atlanta and the department is one of the better paying departments in the metro Atlanta area. It does suck to live on the north side of Atlanta because traffic is a nightmare if you need to travel south. Cobb doesn't have take homes which for me sucks. However most of the surrounding metro counties do have take homes. I would suggest the south side of Atlanta where the pay is not bad but most agencies have take home rides. As far as the other, I don't know anything about ret. benefits.
      God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

I have worked for CCPD for the past 5 years. Not having a take home car does suck, but it is still the best agency in the metro Atlanta area. The pay is great (For law enforcement) and you will get about a 4% increase per year. You will also start at a higher pay rate depending on how many years of experience. Have you ever been in the military? If so, you get up to 4 years of your active duty time towards retirement once you become vested at 7 years. The retirement right now is based on the rule of 80...once your years of service plus your age equal 80..you retire. Contact our HR dept for more details, but I can tell you that the benefits are pretty good. We also are encouraged to be very pro-active and we have a very liberal chase policy, with the exception of motorcycles, if they run..we chase and are trained to PIT. Right now we have about 550 officers and supposedly the county has requested to hire 100 more. Our training is great and very realistic. We have our own in house police academy which I think now is about 4 months...it has change a few times since I started. Be prepared to run and spend many afternoons in defensive tactics. One other thing that is great about this place is, as long as you stay within policy, the really back up and stand behind its officers during complaints and law suites. The only thing I would change would be our shift schedules. We are on permanent shifts and we work the 5 on 2 off and off days rotate one day forward every 28 days. For the most part, morale is pretty high except when we are running short handed and our leave and training requests get denied. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-0
          I have worked for CCPD for the past 5 years. Not having a take home car does suck, but it is still the best agency in the metro Atlanta area. The pay is great (For law enforcement) and you will get about a 4% increase per year. You will also start at a higher pay rate depending on how many years of experience. Have you ever been in the military? If so, you get up to 4 years of your active duty time towards retirement once you become vested at 7 years. The retirement right now is based on the rule of 80...once your years of service plus your age equal 80..you retire. Contact our HR dept for more details, but I can tell you that the benefits are pretty good. We also are encouraged to be very pro-active and we have a very liberal chase policy, with the exception of motorcycles, if they run..we chase and are trained to PIT. Right now we have about 550 officers and supposedly the county has requested to hire 100 more. Our training is great and very realistic. We have our own in house police academy which I think now is about 4 months...it has change a few times since I started. Be prepared to run and spend many afternoons in defensive tactics. One other thing that is great about this place is, as long as you stay within policy, the really back up and stand behind its officers during complaints and law suites. The only thing I would change would be our shift schedules. We are on permanent shifts and we work the 5 on 2 off and off days rotate one day forward every 28 days. For the most part, morale is pretty high except when we are running short handed and our leave and training requests get denied. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
          Sounds like a great dept. I live in Fulton County, and I have always heard guys says it(Cobb) is one of the best.

Do you know the policy on visible tattoos? I have quite a few on my forearms, so they are definetly visible in short sleeves, none visible in long sleeves though. Thanks for any info

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE
            Sounds like a great dept. I live in Fulton County, and I have always heard guys says it(Cobb) is one of the best.

Do you know the policy on visible tattoos? I have quite a few on my forearms, so they are definetly visible in short sleeves, none visible in long sleeves though. Thanks for any info
            Check with our recruiters about the tattoo's. I know they DQ'd a guy for having tattoos that covered both his arms completely from shoulders to wrists. I think they would have to take a look at yours and decide if that would be offensive to the public. We do have guys that work here with visible tattoo's,....i.e. military tat's.

Comment

Come on down to APD... We'll let anyone in... We;ve got a recruit right now who looks like he's covered in jail house tats, from his neck to his fingers...

I plan on doing my 2 years in Atlanta, then lateraling over to Cobb.
              Irish Toasts
              When we drink, we get drunk.
              When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
              When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
              When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
              So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Comment

I think Cobb has another test in a couple weeks.

You guys know how often they test?
                "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus
                Matthew 11:28

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog4
                  Come on down to APD... We'll let anyone in... We;ve got a recruit right now who looks like he's covered in jail house tats, from his neck to his fingers...

I plan on doing my 2 years in Atlanta, then lateraling over to Cobb.

What is wrong with a lot of tattoos?? I have a lot too...

Comment

Originally posted by SCREWED
                    I think Cobb has another test in a couple weeks.

You guys know how often they test?
                    The next test is August 23 according to their website, and I plan on being there

Comment

What is wrong with a lot of tattoos?? I have a lot too...
                      Nothin, I have plenty... None are visable unless im damn near naked. If they're done nice then no big deal, but people who get writing in Ol' English wrighting all down there forarms, and **** on their knuckles, IMHO have no business waring blues and a badge.
                      Irish Toasts
                      When we drink, we get drunk.
                      When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
                      When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
                      When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
                      So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog4
                        Nothin, I have plenty... None are visable unless im damn near naked. If they're done nice then no big deal, but people who get writing in Ol' English wrighting all down there forarms, and **** on their knuckles, IMHO have no business waring blues and a badge.

True- I see what you mean now..

Comment

Cobb County also has a good Sheriff Department as well . Another good department to check out also is Gwinnett County P.D. GOOD LUCK !
                          STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

Cobb County is a good dept to work for. I hear Marietta is the place to go though. Marietta is exempt from paying Social Security so thats extra money in your pocket.

Comment

Yesterday I took the entrance exam for Marietta PD. I have gotten to know a couple of the officers and they really are happy with the way Marietta PD is going.

I'm actually sitting here at work filling out my background booklet. Almost half-way done and I only started at 10 am!
                              Applied to Marietta PD-August 8, 2005
                              Written test passed-August 16, 2005
                              Background book turned in-September 6, 2005
                              Oral board passed-September 12, 2005
                              Psych test-September 16, 2005
                              Polygraph test passed-September 26, 2005

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4693 users online. 286 members and 4407 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X