300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drugs in past

I'm getting ready to start the application process for two departments and can use some advise on the drugs part.
    I went to colege in Amsterdam, so needless to say, I've done my share of experimenting, and have done several of the drugs in question (not just MJ). Of course this has been over 10 years ago, but still...
    Now I'm not asking anyone if it's okay to lie, but not sure if being totally up front about this would take me out of the running.
    I see a lot of folks here whining about using pot once or twice, I've done a little more then that, but like I said, I grew up and it's been a long time.
    Any suggestions?

i dont really agree with it but i think the only option would be lying......im not sure how strict your state is about drug use, but from my knowledge theres no way they will hire you. they even question how many times you've tried pot on the polygraph, and if its over 20 they arent happy
    "Dude, can i have some of your tots?"

Comment

Be honest about what kind of drugs you used, how often you used them, and when you used them. If after hearing all that the agency to which you are applying disqualifies you, so be it. Apply somewhere else. Different agencies have different standards.

If no one wants to hire you because of bad choices you voluntarily made then you should go seek employment in another field. Don
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

If your looking for people to tell you its okay to lie, your probably out of luck. It comes down to a personal choice, lie or be honest, either way your rolling the dice. That being said, there are Officers that didnt tell the absolute whole truth<--right or wrong, it happens.

Hope this helps

Comment

I think Remo's situation poses an interesting question.

First, you have to stop and think about why we reject applicants with a history of drug use. Usage in the US reflects criminal conduct on the part of an applicant, often felonious. In addition, if an applicant is addicted and will continue to use, there is a potential for this to interfere with their job performance, not to mention continued criminal conduct in buying and possessing. Ditto for hallucinogenic which have the potential for flashbacks.

But, what if the drug usage occurred years ago in a country where such conduct was legal, there has not been any drug use in many years and there has never been any illegal drug use. Do legal grounds still exist for rejection? And if so, what is the legal basis for doing so?
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by REMO
            I'm getting ready to start the application process for two departments and can use some advise on the drugs part.
            I went to colege in Amsterdam, so needless to say, I've done my share of experimenting, and have done several of the drugs in question (not just MJ). Of course this has been over 10 years ago, but still...
            Now I'm not asking anyone if it's okay to lie, but not sure if being totally up front about this would take me out of the running.
            I see a lot of folks here whining about using pot once or twice, I've done a little more then that, but like I said, I grew up and it's been a long time.
            Any suggestions?

Better to tell the truth and get DQd than lie and get hired. Do you really want work for a police department, knowing you witheld information, especially about something that is illegal in this country, to get into it? Will you be able to do so with a clear conscience? I seriously doubt it.

The fact that pot and other drugs are legal in Holland is besides the point. In the eyes of the law here, it's illegal, whether you smoked, snorted or whatever in Amsterdam or on the Moon. Either way, be up front. It may very well cost you the job. I've grown up myself, but in many departments, there are things that are just uneraseable and unacceptable, no matter how much time has passed. I got DQd recently..yeah, it sucks, and I have no one to blame but myself. Who knows, I may never get hired by a police department, maybe I will. However, at least I can sleep at night knowing I didn't conceal anything or try to lie to get on. The best thing is, don't bull**** the BIs, Poly examiners, etc., because they are very good at what they do, and things that you think you may have hidden they will find out. No disrespect intended or nothing personal. Just my thoughts. Good luck to you.
            Last edited by Gil; 08-09-2005, 03:56 PM.
            "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

you didn't mention what drugs you used but if they are hallucigens or inhalants you are screwed
              Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by copsluvme
                i dont really agree with it but i think the only option would be lying......im not sure how strict your state is about drug use, but from my knowledge theres no way they will hire you. they even question how many times you've tried pot on the polygraph, and if its over 20 they arent happy

what a dumb suggestion .....hopefully you never make it to the street.
                "here's to us and those like us .....damn few left"

Comment

c'mon now...

Narc,
                  Now that was completely unnecessary.
                  People make mistakes, people change.
                  This was a long time ago, I

Comment

Re

Good luck to you, Remo..Stay the course.

Gil
                    Last edited by Gil; 08-10-2005, 02:25 PM.
                    "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

[QUOTE=REMO]Narc,
                      Now that was completely unnecessary.
                      People make mistakes, people change.
                      This was a long time ago, I
                      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Tell the truth and you WILL NOT get hired... Lie and you MIGHT. The choice has now become a morality issue.
                        If there is a poly, find a new career path!
                        KC

Comment

Originally posted by KC-A2
                          Tell the truth and you WILL NOT get hired... Lie and you MIGHT. The choice has now become a morality issue.
                          If there is a poly, find a new career path!
                          KC
                          The choice is definetly a moral one, but the poly shouldnt be a reason to look at another career, they arent accurate

Comment

The User has deleted the post.
                            Last edited by trez8289; 02-21-2011, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE
                              The choice is definetly a moral one, but the poly shouldnt be a reason to look at another career, they arent accurate
                              I don
                              Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6690 users online. 363 members and 6327 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X