300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Capitol Police v.s. Prince William County? Its about more than money

I've applied to the Prince William County and a few other local departments. I've also applied to the U.S. Capitol Police, I have my poly and physical at the end of August.

As for my background, I'm a 33 y/o female, getting out of the U.S. Marines after 9 years. I have my Associates and finishing my B.S. degree in Criminal Justice. I completed the Marine Embassy Guard Program and have an active TS clearance. Other than a couple of tickets (which I reported) my military and personal life have been stellar, so I think my chances are good.

My dilema is what is the Capitol Police like as a career and an agency?
    The website gives the basic pump it up info however, that's not good enough.

I've had interaction and a ride along with Prince William County. So, far their at the top of my list since I don't have much to go on with the Cap Police. I know the money is good but I don't want to be "rich" and miserable when it comes to my career. Federal or local which one makes the cut?
    Last edited by outofthecorps1; 08-09-2005, 04:33 PM. Reason: update info

If you don't want to be be rich and miserable, take prince williams. I have been with the Capitol now for over a year, and the best part of it is the pay. Now there are opportunities to do police work but only if you are on PD, which comes along only so often. But if you want to make money and be bored, Capitol Police is for you. Don't get me wrong, it is a great department, and believe it or not their mission is important. But if you want to be a real cop, go the other way. I have made some good friends and I will hate to say goodbye when the opportunity comes. But that is a decision all will make at some point.

Comment

Had my interview with capitol today and yes it all comes down to what you are looking for

Police work or security/protection
      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

I did the interview a couple of weeks ago. I have the poly and physical at the end of this month. I would like to get a better of idea of the attitude of the department and its officers. Something to compare with the local pd and what they have to offer.

Comment

Just rememeber you ll be statnding around alot in the Capitol. Money is great but we dont do it for the money. Prince William is also a choice that you should investigate further. Their pay scales and benifits dont match Northern Virginia. Your best bet would be to apply for Montgomery County, they are the highest paid and best with benifits, Then go and look at Fairfax, Arlington, Alex and dont forget Londoun the fastest growing county in america. I work in NoVA any questions just ask....
          Be safe everyone.....

Comment

Originally posted by outofthecorps1
            I did the interview a couple of weeks ago. I have the poly and physical at the end of this month. I would like to get a better of idea of the attitude of the department and its officers. Something to compare with the local pd and what they have to offer.

have 2 friends on Capitol and they love it as of right now....

GL to ya...guess I'm a couple weeks behind you but hopefully we will make the next academy together. They are still waiting to see exactly how many people they will be able to hire if you didn't know that.They have not received their budget as of today for next year but are really hoping for the 200 officers they have requested. Also,if ya didn't know,the mounted unit has been elimanated so those officers are being moved back into the mix whixh could effect the amount of openings
            Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

If you want to know anything on Fairfax County, Montgomery, or PG County MD PD, you can shoot me a PM I'm in all those depts steps right now.

Comment

As someone stated earlier, depends on what you are looking for. I have worked as a county cop for about nine years before becoming a uniformed federal police officer. My agency gives the resemblance of a local police department, with take home cars, responding to calls, traffic stops , etc, however it is very slow and our mission dictates that doing regular "police work" isn't the highest of priorities. Protection and security is the majority of most federal police officers jobs, with law enforcement being just a little bit. If I knew what I know now I would have stayed a county cop, because I loved the work, however after just a year as a "fed", the money has me stuck and it appears that it would be extemely difficult to go back. So you have to decide what you want, money and prestige, or career and a job you will enjoy.
                God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

If you're at Quantico you may want to look at Stafford, it is probably one of the best local agencies to work for in the state. I worked there for a couple of years before I came to this hell and miss it very much. The pay is decent, the sheriff is a hell of a guy as are most of the guys and girls who work there, about half or so are former marines (myself included). They work for their money, but I don't think you can beat the work environment. Despite being a sheriff's office there are less politics there than in most PD's.

-web
                  "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see how the rest of the process goes and the other deciding factor being the start date for the academy. I know right now Prince William has me pegged for a January start date, which is great, since my terminal leave/EAS is in January. One other factor to investigate at this stage in life is the retirement package. PW isn't bad but I am already contributing into the military TSP and can trasfer the money over into the fed program. Can't rely on Social Security for much these days. Got to watch you six at at all levels.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2550 users online. 132 members and 2418 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X