Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City PD or Sheriff's Office?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by NavyCop; 02-22-2012, 06:22 PM.

Sheriffs office...especially if your from Florida.

Comment

In this instance I would say go to the Sheriff's Office. I currently work for a Sheriff's Office, and it is the opposite of what you have stated. After I get some experience under my belt, I will go to a police department.

Good Luck on which ever you choose.

Comment

Me three....
        "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

The question...

Don't forget, the Sheriff is and elected official in Florida, so there is a degree of political BS. Also, the city (and I'm not sure which one you would be looking at) probably has a better retirement(20 years?), as opposed to the Florida State retirement(25+55 and about dead).
          But that being said, my vote is with the other guys, go sheriff. You're looking at the long haul here. I have 22 years in, worked in a city for the first three, and work in a Township(this is up in Pa., but family is from Florida)now. I'll probably live longer as a result. But, I would also have been retired in April 2006 !!.
          One of the most overlooked things in police jobs today, especially with those just starting out is if this is going to be your career and what you will use to raise your family, look down the road, not at what is in front of you. This job can burn you out quick. Things can look good at the start, but sometimes it's better to start with a little less to have it better later, know what I mean?
          "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

Another thing to think about is how keen are you with working in a jail...not knowing if you'll be on the street any time soon.

Also there is the question of how many officers are out with you on patrol. If it's a county where there is only one person out, versus three or four in the city, I'd be much more comfortable in the city environment.

And remember, if you choose city (with the higher pay), and decide you don't like it, you can always go elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz
              Another thing to think about is how keen are you with working in a jail...not knowing if you'll be on the street any time soon.

Also there is the question of how many officers are out with you on patrol. If it's a county where there is only one person out, versus three or four in the city, I'd be much more comfortable in the city environment.

And remember, if you choose city (with the higher pay), and decide you don't like it, you can always go elsewhere.
              Last edited by NavyCop; 10-09-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Well, here's my opinion...

I would say go with the county. You will learn more about dealing with people and how to be a cop working in a jail, especially a busy one than you will on patrol. Also, you will go hands on 5-10x more often in a slammer than you will on patrol.

Working for a county is an all new kind of excitement different from an urban area. You will drive harder and faster in a county than a city. You will also be much further from backup and need to be more reliant on yourself because of the distance involved. There also tends to be quite a bit less supervision in a county environment. Keep in mind the area to roam in those two agencies. In a town of that size, you can realistically drive EVERY mile of roadway in a single shift. In a county that size, there are roads you will likely not even travel in a year. Size=opportunities.

However, like someone else pointed out, with Sheriff being an elected position there will always be at least a little bit of politics in there to worry about.

Another consideration, is benefits. Look at that stuff, even if you don't think you'll spend 25 years there. Especially the health care, dental care benefits. Good bennies can make up for a lower pay real quickly.
                Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyCop
                  I not too keen on working in the jail but I'm not too keen on the idea of the mandatory foot patrol either.

I'm not sure how many deputies are on patrol for each shift but I do know that there are two NCSHP officers for each shift in that county which back up the county deputies. For the city pd, each shift is 4 patrolman, a sergeant, and a lieutenant.

Ultimatly, I want to work for the Philadelphia PD but I want to finish my degree first. If I move to NC where I have family, I can go to school and gain civilian law enforcement experience at the same time.

u do know there is a residence requirement for philly pd right?

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Last edited by NavyCop; 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I would go for both, and take the one that offers the job first. Since you are planing to leave after school.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        Last edited by NavyCop; 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I don't Think so, but I would not tell the Departments that you are going to be a short timer.

Comment

When looking at salary do not look only at the starting pay. Look at what you will likely be making in 1,2, 5 and 10 years. I know of a bunch of departments that offer very good starting pay with very limited pay increases after that.

Comment

Is there Civil Service protection at the city PD? Most SO's here where Im at have no job protection, and you work as an appointee of the Sheriff, which means you can be let go at any time for any reason.

Most PD's here have Civil Service protection through the State.

DeltaCop
                              "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
                              Khe Sanh

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9033 users online. 301 members and 8732 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X