Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote "Deputies put up with virtually no BS because the Sheriff is a cops cop and doesn't act like a politician."

Obviously you haven't worked at out Sheriff Dept.

A cops cop? You don't even need to be a LEO to become Sheriff, it's an elected position. Heck my my wife could technically be Sheriff! Probably do a better job at it too!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With that said - I would take the first job you can get your hands on. You can move later if you decide you want to.
    There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaCop
      Is there Civil Service protection at the city PD? Most SO's here where Im at have no job protection, and you work as an appointee of the Sheriff, which means you can be let go at any time for any reason.

Most PD's here have Civil Service protection through the State.

DeltaCop
      Most of the cities have good...or better unions for better job security. In Florida, the sheriff picks the guys he wants generally, and he is the one that goes to bat for your raises. So....he doesn't want to **** of the county, but he doesn't want a riot from his guys either, so generally the pay is long, slow and painful. As far as prostection job-wise, unless you are a major scew up, you're safe. But they can pink slip you anytime, too.
      "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

LOL---Geez guys your making SO's sound so bad.

It all depends on what county you work for and who the Sheriff is. It also depends on what PD you work for and who the chief is. You cant generalize all the SO's to be the same.

I work for Collier County SO. Our Sheriff was and still is a cop. He fights for his guys and tries to get us everything we want...even going head to head with the county comissioners to get us more. He never just fires guys at random because he dosent like them. Screw up and your likely to get demoted, suspended or transferred but very rarely fired.....thats a myth about getting a pink slip at any time.

I worked for a PD around here prior to the SO. The cheif and the admin was so political and bowed down so much to the city council and the citizens it was a joke. He never stuck up for his guys and it was a horrible work enviroment. Yeah the PD's may have a union...but in the end they didnt do a dam thing for us.

Maybe Sheriffs in Penn or Virginia or TN or somewhere else act in other ways but down here in Florida they are top notch. Especially Collier County.

Comment

Originally posted by Utah
          LOL---Geez guys your making SO's sound so bad.

It all depends on what county you work for and who the Sheriff is. It also depends on what PD you work for and who the chief is. You cant generalize all the SO's to be the same.

I work for Collier County SO. Our Sheriff was and still is a cop. He fights for his guys and tries to get us everything we want...even going head to head with the county comissioners to get us more. He never just fires guys at random because he dosent like them. Screw up and your likely to get demoted, suspended or transferred but very rarely fired.....thats a myth about getting a pink slip at any time.

I worked for a PD around here prior to the SO. The cheif and the admin was so political and bowed down so much to the city council and the citizens it was a joke. He never stuck up for his guys and it was a horrible work enviroment. Yeah the PD's may have a union...but in the end they didnt do a dam thing for us.

Maybe Sheriffs in Penn or Virginia or TN or somewhere else act in other ways but down here in Florida they are top notch. Especially Collier County.
          The myth is believing it is does not happen. Reality is seeing good people who have got boned...and it was in fact very political. These were counties in East Florida. Seeing is believing.
          "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

Well i guess East Florida is different from West Florida. Never checked out those agencies before.

Comment

I worked in central fla, and south fla.....sheriff's offices
              sometimes the ones that get canned are deserving..
              most of the ordinary guys who are not connected have nothing to worry about.
              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Philly?

Originally posted by NavyCop
                I not too keen on working in the jail but I'm not too keen on the idea of the mandatory foot patrol either.

I'm not sure how many deputies are on patrol for each shift but I do know that there are two NCSHP officers for each shift in that county which back up the county deputies. For the city pd, each shift is 4 patrolman, a sergeant, and a lieutenant.

Ultimatly, I want to work for the Philadelphia PD but I want to finish my degree first. If I move to NC where I have family, I can go to school and gain civilian law enforcement experience at the same time.
                IF YOU GO BECOME A OFFICER IN PHILLY, WITH ALL THE P.C. BULL CRAP. YOU MAY END UP WORKING IN THE JAIL, AS AN INMATE. RETIRED PHILLY CORR. OFFICER. GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND..SGT. TONY

Comment

I'd apply to both if I were you. Good luck!

Comment

Id be leary of a smaller department. The problem is, if you ever get into trouble you will alsways be into trouble. Sometimes getting into trouble is nothing more than a personality conflict. I work for a larger agency (1500 sworn). I've seen an officer "get into trouble" and reasigned to another district. In the second district he became the best thing since gun oil. I would also pick an agency that you are willing to stick with. The reason is most agencies in my region have 20 year retirement with no age restriction. The sooner you do your 20, the sooner you can go to your second career, or with financial planning, sit on your but. Also try and pick an agency that will issue you a car. Anyone who thinks that isn't important hasn't had a car issued. Good luck

Bootz

Comment

City vs. County

I was a city cop for over 10 years and have been a county cop for over 12 years. As most people have stated, look ahead and decide what you want to do in 5, 10, or 15 years. In Minnesota, where I am, if you decided you wanted to work mounted patrol or bomb squad, you better focus on St. Paul or Minneapolis. If you think water patrol might be a good deal, look at Ramsey County, Hennepin County, etc. I have a take home unmarked car and get the luxury of working in plain clothes. The guys are right, having a take home car is a great perk! I would also apply for as many agencies as you can, within reason. Lets face it, if you haven't worked in this field yet, there might be things that you don't even know about yet that may interest you in the future. If you get a few years in, you might decide that investigations is the cat's ***. Some places once you get investigations, you have it for life. Other places have a rotation every 3 years or so. Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7670 users online. 415 members and 7255 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X