Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Police...

Howdy,

I am currently 35 years old and considering a change of profession. Unfortunately, I just found out that the cut-off is 35 in Texas.

Can one of you please describe what the hiring process is in Texas and when one can take the civil service exam? Do you have to be sponsered, or can anyone take it?

I am out of state, so it may be too late or I may have to act fast.

Thanks,

~B

Interesting.... Is that a STATE law? We dropped our age requirements long ago when "age discrimination" came in vogue.

What about laterals that are above the age of 35?
    "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

I am trying to find out whether that is state-wide, but it appears to be.

You can be 36-45 if you have 5 years of police or military service. I only have 4 years of military service. Surprised it isn't just one to one.

Comment

Not all departments are the same. Those are the state civil service guidelines, but not all departments fall under the civil service laws and guidelines for various reasons. Check with individual deparments about age requirements. Some are in the forties and above. Some allow each year of military service to be added to the maximum age requirement. Check the agency directory on the O.com frontpage, and let you mouse click away. I know Austin PD is higher than 36.

Comment

Dallas PD does not have a max age.
          http://www.dallaspolice.net/index.cfm
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
          and I'm not sure about the former.
          -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

You got some wrong information. Many officers retire from one dept and go to work for another.

I know several that have retired from HPD and gone to work for a small county SO where they "retired".

There is no age limit for DPS. Check with the individual depts.

Comment

APD age limit is 41, 46 with 5 years active duty

Comment

I have been doing some research and it looks like about a 50/50 split of departments that are civil service vs. those that aren't.

Does anyone have any insight about my other question; can you take the civil service exam whenever you want, or do you need to be sponsered/ scheduled?

Thanks for all of the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Undo
                  I have been doing some research and it looks like about a 50/50 split of departments that are civil service vs. those that aren't.

Does anyone have any insight about my other question; can you take the civil service exam whenever you want, or do you need to be sponsered/ scheduled?

Thanks for all of the replies.
                  Departments that offer Civil service exams usually post a notice either online or at headquarters when the test is going to be offered. Generally you have to register for the exam by a deadline. Some offer it once a year, some give the exam every Tuesday, some 5 times a year on specific dates. Again, you would have to check with individual depts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6256 users online. 355 members and 5901 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X