300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death notification

was thinking about it the other day.. anyone ever be the one to give a death notification to parent or next of kin? i've had the fortune of not having that responsibility. im currently a reserve, and the dept i serve, the sgt. for that quadrant is responsible for making the notificaiton. any advice on how to go about delivering the news if i ever need to give the notification

I saw not many answered this...

and I know why. It sucks. There is no magic formula. All people are wired differently, you don't know how they will react. I've been to all the grief counselor people that come in once in a while to "teach" us the best way depending on ethnic group, age, etc.. I suppose they know something about it, but I've done it a hundred times and every one was different.
    The only thing I can offer is not to beat around the bush. Usually, they know you are there for something, and it's not good anyway. If it's at the hospital, get the chaplain...don't ever do it alone. If you need to go to a house, bring someone with...like I said, they know you aren't there to give early Christmas presents out. Be straight and get it done as sympethetically as you can.
    "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

I had the unfortunate task of doing this during my FTO period. I don't know what to tell you other than you feel like absolute crap having to do it. The people I had to notify that their son killed himself, took it pretty well and thanked me over and over for telling them in person rather than calling them on the phone. That made me feel 1% better
      ""Liberals are liberal until something happens to them or someone they love, then they want the rules to change"

Comment

Originally posted by nadster011
        was thinking about it the other day.. anyone ever be the one to give a death notification to parent or next of kin? i've had the fortune of not having that responsibility. im currently a reserve, and the dept i serve, the sgt. for that quadrant is responsible for making the notificaiton. any advice on how to go about delivering the news if i ever need to give the notification
        Umm.... Why are you posting this in the job search forum?

Not saying that your question dosen't have merit, but it belongs in the proper place.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4943 users online. 250 members and 4693 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X