Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk County Corrections Officer NY

Hello everyone,

I am writing in response to the shortage of information on the World Wide Web in regards to the Suffolk County Corrections Department. I am proud to inform everyone:
    After Six months of waiting for my score, I received a decent grade on the test.

A month after the scores were posted, I received a canvass letter in regards to the starting academy salary. (BTW that was $40K)

Since then nothing........................................... ..
    Two long months and nothing.............................

UNTIL TODAY !!!!!!!!!!

I just received in the mail a certified letter from the Suffolk County Sheriffs Department in regards to my status on the list.
    I must appear on September 1 2005, in buisness attire to the local government buildings. I must also bring a pen,clipboard,notepad and also a $75.00 money order for fingerprinting.

I am estatic!!!!! This is the department that made front page of the papers in regards to their $100,000+ salaries!

Ok just had to vent, thank you all for reading. Post any questions or comments relevant to this matter. Be Safe

Originally posted by REDIWHIP
    Hello everyone,

I am writing in response to the shortage of information on the World Wide Web in regards to the Suffolk County Corrections Department. I am proud to inform everyone:
    After Six months of waiting for my score, I received a decent grade on the test.

A month after the scores were posted, I received a canvass letter in regards to the starting academy salary. (BTW that was $40K)

Since then nothing........................................... ..
    Two long months and nothing.............................

UNTIL TODAY !!!!!!!!!!

I just received in the mail a certified letter from the Suffolk County Sheriffs Department in regards to my status on the list.
    I must appear on September 1 2005, in buisness attire to the local government buildings. I must also bring a pen,clipboard,notepad and also a $75.00 money order for fingerprinting.

I am estatic!!!!! This is the department that made front page of the papers in regards to their $100,000+ salaries!

Ok just had to vent, thank you all for reading. Post any questions or comments relevant to this matter. Be Safe

run. get set for some serious PT. Also, be prepared to be knocked out by scpd academy instructors (who give the pt test) who are trying to get anyone with a hook in before you. big $$$, shiiiiiiiitty gig. good luck.

Comment

Uh, you're only at the second stage, I'm assuming that the paperwork that you will be giving out is your prelim pedigree sheet and fingerprinting.

Be cautiously optimisitic, be truthful and most importantly, be safe.

And Suffolk Corrections is at 100K? I thought that was Suffolk PD.

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
        Uh, you're only at the second stage, I'm assuming that the paperwork that you will be giving out is your prelim pedigree sheet and fingerprinting.

Be cautiously optimisitic, be truthful and most importantly, be safe.

And Suffolk Corrections is at 100K? I thought that was Suffolk PD.
        YEP, This is only the second stage, I understand that. Likewise it is ONE STEP closer to being an officer. The SC COs are making over $100K a year. Actually if you do research on this subject you will find out that over 212 of the highest paid civil service positions in the county are corrections officers. Yeah BASE pay may only be $65,000 BUT these guys are raking in over $100,000 in OVERTIME ALONE. I know this is nuts but here is the article. I apologize to the moderators in advance, I hope I dont get in trouble for posting a large article like this. From what I hear about the job its not too ****ty. Here you go...............

One Suffolk County Corrections Officer Earns More Than $100,000 In Overtime Alone
        From Newsday, February 9

SUFFOLK COUNTY, NY -- One of the toughest problems to solve in local government proved stubborn again last year as overtime paid to Suffolk correction officers and deputy sheriffs edged up from $17.6 million to a record high of $18.2 million.
        For the second time in two years, one correction officer broke the six-figure mark, pulling down $100,545 in 2004 in overtime alone, on top of his $66,015 salary, according to a new report on compensation issued by the Suffolk Legislative Budget Review Office.
        Shortly after taking office a year ago, Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy blasted the perennially high overtime spending and vowed an overhaul. "These are salaries that folks in the private sector cannot relate to," he said at that time.
        But Tuesday, in the face of the latest overtime stats, Levy expressed frustration. "We can't affect how the sheriff doles out overtime," he said.
        Correction officer union president Vito Dagnello said there was a reason officers raked in so much overtime pay in 2004: they worked for it. The officers that earned the overtime, Dagnello said, "they're there almost every day."
        Levy and other county officials said they had hoped to limit overtime by meeting Sheriff Alfred Tisch's requests to hire more correction officers and deputy sheriffs. Union officials said the county last year hired 50 correction officers and 28 deputy sheriffs.

The legislative report shows that employees in the sheriff's office claimed 212 of the county's top 300 overtime earners, and the ten highest.
        "The argument with the sheriff's office has always been, give us more personnel and we'll cut the overtime," Levy said. "We keep giving more personnel and the overtime costs continue to go up. We're hoping that there can be some extra efficiencies."
        But Vincent DeMarco, president of the Deputy Sheriffs Police Benevolent Association, which represents many of the top OT earners, criticized Tisch and his top aides. "They came into office without any hands-on experience,"
        DeMarco said. "When you have inadequate management, you have a lack of overtime control."
        Undersheriff Donald Sullivan, speaking on Tisch's behalf, said his department did a "pretty good" job at controlling overtime despite "irregular or unforeseeable" circumstances, including an arbitration ruling favorable to the unions, jail overcrowding and the U.S. Open Golf Tournament.
        Specifically, he said, an arbitrator granted a higher rate for calculating overtime pay to correction officers, which he said added $800,000 to the county's costs. He also said union agreements curtailed the county's power to chose which employees rack up OT. While not offering a specific number, Dagnello said he thought the $800,000 figure was high.
        Sullivan also said it cost the county another $474,000 to pay deputy sheriffs overtime to transport inmates to facilities outside the county because the county jail is overcrowded under state guidelines.
        What's more, Sullivan said, the deputy sheriffs were dispatched on overtime to the U.S. Open at a cost of $150,000.
        Walter Richardson, who earned the highest overtime of $100,545, made $66,015 in salary, plus other pay that brought his total taxable income to $175,913.
        Efforts to reach Richardson for comment Tuesday were unsuccessful. In 2002, Deputy Sheriff Michael McAllister posted $119,216 in overtime, pushing his total taxable income to $184,990.
        Deputy sheriffs Robert Starke and Michael Smith, who made the 2004 top 10 lists for overtime and overall earnings, declined to comment when reached at work. Messages left for four other deputies were not returned.
        Sullivan said department operations and procedures bar them from talking to reporters without prior authorization.
        On a separate list of top county earners, Suffolk County Community College President Shirley Pippins made the most with $199,454. Her earnings were $38,336 more than that of Levy, who made $161,118.

The figures in the report show most of the income and benefits earned by employees during the year, but do not include the cost of health insurance, Social Security and retirement benefits.

Mary Lou Araneo, college spokeswoman, said, "In looking at Dr. Pippins, it is important to note she is the president of the largest multi-campus community college in the entire SUNY system and her compensation is in line with college presidents of similar sized institutions."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4280 users online. 207 members and 4073 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X