X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FUTURE FL LEO
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2005

Oral Board Advice

Hey guys, I am new to this site and so far I am amazed by the wealth of knowledge on here. I have an interview with Ft. Lauderdale P.D. next week. I was hoping that someone could give me some helpful advice? Maybe if someone could suggest a book or website that offers more info on the oral board process. Is there anyone on here that has recently interviewed with them? I have read on here that it's damn near impossible to get hired with them? I have no prior military or LE experience.
    Last edited by FUTURE FL LEO; 08-02-2005, 05:28 PM.
  • McPhenius
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2005

Check out http://www.signal-1.com/Police%20Ebook.htm

Our agency borders Ft. Lauderdale.

Comment

• metstones
      Forum Member
      • May 2005

Relax, get a good nights sleep and wear a suit.

Comment

• McPhenius
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2005

Have alittle knowledge about their agency. Number of officers, the Chief's name and population of city. The size (sqaure miles) wouldn't hurt either. Although you will be nervous when you sit down, try to relax and be natural and be yourself. The interviewers understand candidates are nervous.

When speaking, try to be clear in a normal tone and look the interviewers in the eyes while speaking.

Comment

• FUTURE FL LEO
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2005

Sounds like great advice...here's another dumb question. When I sit down do I unbutton my suit jacket? Do they usually offer for you to remove your jacket?

Comment

• McPhenius
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by FUTURE FL LEO
            Sounds like great advice...here's another dumb question. When I sit down do I unbutton my suit jacket? Do they usually offer for you to remove your jacket?
            Is your shirt nice and pressed? Nice - matching tie, but not outlandish? Then yes, you can safely unbutton your jacket before you sit.

I've never offered anyone the opportunity to remove their jacket, but then again, I would never count off on anyone doing it on their own either. I have seen candidates remove their jacket and put it on the back of the chair. But mainly, they either unbutton it or leave it alone.

Whatever you feel the most confident and comfortable doing.

Comment

• metstones
              Forum Member
              • May 2005

Whenever you sit down you always unbutton your suit jacket.

Comment

• UA2k1GT
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2005

Relax. Prepare yourself by thinking of some questions they may ask you, and prepare some answers for them. Go over the whole thing in your mind.

My boards were no more than regular job interviews. I was never grilled or made uncomfortable. In fact, they were easier than some other job interviews I have been in for the bank I worked at.

Sit up straight, look at whomever is asking the questions. Answer to him/her, and then also look around at everyone else. Speak clearly, don't ramble, don't use a bunch of "uhhhh, ummmm, hmmm, uhhhh". Be honest, but sell yourself.

I kept my suit jacket on, but unbuttoned. I had shined shoes (and yes, the Lt. looked me up and down to check my appearance when he brought me into the room). I also made sure to have a fresh haircut and a good clean shave. I also got rid of my sideburns, as I don't know the department's policy in regards to them or facial hair.

Oh and when you introduce yourself and when you leave and again shake everyone's hand, give them a firm, but not hard handshake, and look them in the eyes. Say something like "nice to meet you" and "thank you for your time."

Like I said, if you've ever had a job interview, this may not be much different.

Also, don't fidgit. Don't twirl your thumbs and tap your foot.

You'll do fine, good luck.
                Last edited by UA2k1GT; 08-03-2005, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• oSutrooper
                  Go Pokes!!!!!!! oSu
                  • Mar 2005

Just as every one as said, RELAX. I just had my first oral board a few weeks ago and I read all of the advice that was given here and I did just fine. Most imporant, stick to you guns and be honest.

Comment

• FUTURE FL LEO
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2005

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try to relax and just be myself.

Comment

• wannabeacpop
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2005

In the oral interview is ok for you to ask them question's?

Comment

• UA2k1GT
                        Forum Member
                        • Jun 2005

Usually at the end they will ask if you have any questions. It is a good idea to ask at least one question, as it shows your interest.

Comment

• mobrien316
                          Philosopher/Marksman
                          • Jul 2005

Try to avoid asking the following questions:

"What about guns? When do we get guns?"
                          Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

• wannabeacpop
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2005

What ae some good general questions to ask, and ones to avoid?

Comment

• wannabeacpop
                              Forum Member
                              • Jul 2005

What types of questiosn do they usually ask while in the interview?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18264 users online. 29 members and 18235 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...