X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McPhenius
    replied
    Originally posted by BrickCop
    I owe you an apology McPhin, when I noticed you were the last guy to post I thought you were trying to sell your book to this guy. I clicked on here intending to give you a hard time. I see that you gave him some "no price" good advice.
    NP... I enjoy giving the advice if it helps. I've had the book for over two years, never advertised it. Until I added more pages and updated it and an applicant at our department mentioned in their boards when we asked "what have you done to prepare yourself for a career in law enforcement?" One part of their response was "I belong to a police forum and got great information from there." I have no idea what forum though or site. That is when I asked about being able to sell it. Once I found out, I didn't bring it up.

I made my extra spending cash from the custom Road Champs police cars we made as Signal-1 Customs. That gave me the most pleasure.

Leave a comment:

• BrickCop
    replied
    I owe you an apology McPhin, when I noticed you were the last guy to post I thought you were trying to sell your book to this guy. I clicked on here intending to give you a hard time. I see that you gave him some "no price" good advice.

Looks like I'm the *** and you have the class on this one.

Leave a comment:

• McPhenius
    replied
    Originally posted by wannabeacpop
    What ae some good general questions to ask, and ones to avoid?
    At the end, when they usually ask you if you have any questions or anything to add, maybe ask them how many officers they are looking to hire. Be sure to thank them for giving you the opportunity to be interviewed and you hope to hear from the department in the future.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Mikis
    replied
    I had my Oral Boards with Ft Lauderdale last month. It went well. Just relax and treat it as a conversation (because that's all it really is). Wear a suit and get there early

Leave a comment:

• FutureLE
    replied
    Originally posted by wannabeacpop

I would ask something along the lines of

"What is one piece of advice you could give me as I go through the hiring process" ?

Or "What is your favorite aspect of the police work" ?

I wouldnt say, Have you ever shot anyone? L

Leave a comment:

• wannabeacpop
    replied
    I heard they ask you questions like " what if you pulled over someone who was speeding and it ended up being your mom what would you do?"
    What do you say to those type of questions I mean its obvious the moral thing would to give her a ticket.

Leave a comment:

• wannabeacpop
    replied
    What types of questiosn do they usually ask while in the interview?

Leave a comment:

• wannabeacpop
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mobrien316
    replied
    Try to avoid asking the following questions:

"What about guns? When do we get guns?"

Leave a comment:

• UA2k1GT
    replied
    Usually at the end they will ask if you have any questions. It is a good idea to ask at least one question, as it shows your interest.

Leave a comment:

• wannabeacpop
    replied
    In the oral interview is ok for you to ask them question's?

Leave a comment:

• FUTURE FL LEO
    replied
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try to relax and just be myself.

Leave a comment:

• oSutrooper
    replied
    Just as every one as said, RELAX. I just had my first oral board a few weeks ago and I read all of the advice that was given here and I did just fine. Most imporant, stick to you guns and be honest.

Leave a comment:

• UA2k1GT
    replied
    Relax. Prepare yourself by thinking of some questions they may ask you, and prepare some answers for them. Go over the whole thing in your mind.

My boards were no more than regular job interviews. I was never grilled or made uncomfortable. In fact, they were easier than some other job interviews I have been in for the bank I worked at.

Sit up straight, look at whomever is asking the questions. Answer to him/her, and then also look around at everyone else. Speak clearly, don't ramble, don't use a bunch of "uhhhh, ummmm, hmmm, uhhhh". Be honest, but sell yourself.

I kept my suit jacket on, but unbuttoned. I had shined shoes (and yes, the Lt. looked me up and down to check my appearance when he brought me into the room). I also made sure to have a fresh haircut and a good clean shave. I also got rid of my sideburns, as I don't know the department's policy in regards to them or facial hair.

Oh and when you introduce yourself and when you leave and again shake everyone's hand, give them a firm, but not hard handshake, and look them in the eyes. Say something like "nice to meet you" and "thank you for your time."

Like I said, if you've ever had a job interview, this may not be much different.

Also, don't fidgit. Don't twirl your thumbs and tap your foot.

You'll do fine, good luck.
    Last edited by UA2k1GT; 08-03-2005, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• metstones
    replied
    Whenever you sit down you always unbutton your suit jacket.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5322 users online. 279 members and 5043 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X