Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Market in Michigan

Hello,

I would like to first introduce myself. I am 25 and have 3 1/2 years conducting Maritime L/E with the Coast Guard, I am currently a MP in Kodiak, AK. I spent 6 months over in the North Arabian Gulf conducting high risk boardings. I will be heading back to civilian life in December 2006 and was wondering how the job market for law enforcement is in Michigan. I have heard right now it is pretty bad, so I was hoping for some insight on any possible openings with in the next year and a half. I am hoping to get hired with the Michigan State Police, or a local police department, any help will greatly be appreciated. Thankyou for your time and help.

Be careful out there,
    Joe

First of all welcome aboard... O.com is a great place to get info on anything relating to LE so enjoy the site.

In regards to the job market in MI. It is extremely competitive for jobs right now. There have been several departments (Pontiac and Detroit) that have laid off hundreds of officers between the two of them and openings are slow in coming. If a department is hiring there are normally hundreds of already certified applicants vying for each position. The State Police have only run one class in the last four years I believe and I have heard of no plans to run another one in the near future.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but if you are coming to MI you are in for a challenge. My advice would be to apply in places like Chicago which have large departments and are always looking for qualified applicants... but thats just my advice so take it for what its worth. Regardless of what you chose to do good luck with your endevours.
    Day by Day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny...

Comment

Thankyou for the reply. I haven't been home (except for leave) in almost 3 and a half years. I was all set on getting out of the Coast Guard and even had a interview with Oakland County Sheriff's, which I turned down. (after hearing one deputy's opinion) dumb mistake. I was also in contact with a MSP recruiter who stated they might have an academy in 2004, but he wasn't too sure. So I decided to come here to Kodiak and work as a MP. How long has it been like this? Again thanks for your help.

Joe

Comment

Welcome aboard USCGjoker - thanks for serving our country & stay safe!

Unfortunately, the other poster is right. It has been a tough road for many officers/hopeful officers in this state, largely thanks to budget problems trickling down from the state and passed off to the lower municipalities (at least that's what I keep hearing). Funding, funding, funding - every city is scrutinizing their budget.

The few departments that announce that they will accept applications are usually doing so to establish a hiring list for the purpose of filling future vacancies due to retirements. Of course, iff they have an immediate need, they will hire you right away and get you on the street - IF you can make the cut out of the hundred or so odd people that take the written exam, place high enough among the couple dozen who attend the oral board, and have a clean background/history, etc.

Don't get me wrong, if you are the best candidate you CAN get hired, so it doesn't hurt to apply and take the written exam/attend oral boards to gain experience. Afterall, you won't know how competitive you are, until you try.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic here, but the brutal truth is that the job market for sworn positions is very rough right now in MI. You may want to consider looking at other states as well (I know a few agencies from FL have done recruiting here in Metro Detroit to lure away some of the anticipated Detroit Police officers who will be getting a pink slip). There's always the chance that the job market could improve in the future here in MI, but nothing so far indicates hiring will pick up. It has been like this since late 2003, in my opinion. If you can get your foot in the door, as a jailer, part-time officer, reserve, whatever - I would strongly suggest it to help you improve your chances of getting hired as a full-time sworn officer one day.

On a "good note," MSP is hiring for motor carrier positions (commercial enforcement?):

http://www.911hotjobs.com/eastern/mistate.htm

The prospect of MSP putting on another "Trooper" academy in the near future appears to be very slim. You should probably contact a MSP recruiter to hear it directly from the horse's mouth though...

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you need anything specific.
        Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I am kind of hoping my background with Coast Guard law enforcement will be in my favor. Looking at 911hotjobs.com I noticed Tree Rivers and Meridian Twp were hiring, both right now look like good career moves. I am supposed to get out in December 2006 (terminal leave) and will be looking to put myself through the police academy. I have been hinting to my Chief to let me go to a Michigan academy instead of going through the Alaska State Trooper Academy, cheaper and makes sense to me. Another question I have is looking at OCC's police academy it says I need to provide an appropriate side, what does Michigan consider appropriate side arm. I currently use a Berretta M9 and will be switching to a Sig P229. I own a Berretta 92FS and a Glock 36 (.45 ACP) would one or both be appropriate? Thankyou again for your help I will be back in Metro Detroit this December and will be looking into different academys and Police Departments. I have always believed in the whole making them tell you no attitude. Stay safe out there.

Joe

Comment

Last edited by J. Slacker; 12-16-2007, 12:09 PM. Reason: because i wanted to
            Those who stand for nothing often fall for anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4927 users online. 273 members and 4654 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X