300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed

I am 26 yrs old never been to college, service, or employed as a police officer, but I was an intern with two local departments, did a bicycle cadet program while in high school, also a jail officer for a year and a half, at this time I took alot of training classes that the dept offered. My problem is I have applied to numerous depts, but can not seem to get the job, I have no criminal history, i am in good physical shape. has anyone out there had this problem and what was the out come, if not does anyone have any advice, this career is the only thing i have ever wanted to do its all i have worked for thanks.
    abrooks

Have any of the background investigators given you any reasons why you weren't hired? At what stage(s) of the process are you running into a brick wall?

Comment

Don't mean to be mean, but what exactly have you done toward the job besides a couple cadet things for a few months. Your 26 and have basically done nothing with your life from the sounds of it.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Alot of the times i will make to the end then they hire someone else, as for what I have done up to now i have worked in a factory and am married with two children so i dont have to many options.
        abrooks

Comment

If you're not flunking polygraphs or having red-flags come up in you background investigation, I don't what to tell you. Sorry.

Comment

none of the past depts have given polygraphs, and as far as i know no red flags. I dont jump from job to job I have had the same job since i got out of high school.
            abrooks

Comment

If they're not giving applicants polys or the voice stress analyzer, it sounds like you've applied to some pretty small-town type PD's. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm guessing the "good ole' boy" network might be nailing you if you're not in the clique or have some kind of hook-up. You may have to go out of state or something and try a bigger department with a more extensive background/hiring process.

Comment

Your right about the small town depts.
                abrooks

Comment

advice

groundhog nailed it.. sounds like the good ol boy system is in effect in your area..have u ever thought of maybe trying the reserve officer route, might give u the opp to see how this dept works, get to know those who count. if not this dept, then the reserve experience might be recognized by another dept in your area...keep trying, if you want it bad enough, and its meant to be, it'll happen...

Comment

thanx all for the feedback, and advice. I have thought of the reserve thing but do you think depts take advantage of the i have always thought why hire the guy if we get him for free.
                    abrooks

Comment

reserve

that is the exact mentallity my current dept takes. out of 9 of their own reserves, who applied for the most recent academy, they hired 2..i was cut at the mmpi..doc told me i was a liability if i was hired and put on the streets, this based on the results of the mmpi..once i informed him i was already a reserve with this same dept, have been for 3 years, have a degree in law enforcement, still carry the glock, wear the badge, and do the same work, he gave me that 1000 mile stare and just quickly changed the subject...thats when i realized this dept is not for me. fortunately for me, i was laid off from my full time job in may, given nice little going away package, and gave me time to test for 5 other depts in this state...just one example of the why hire if i can get him for free...i would hope not all dpts are like this... worst case scenario(think thats how u spell it), get the experience, and apply somewhere is if possible.

Comment

Ditto on the Good Ole boys. Small departments can do it much easier. If I were you I would put in for large departments. If you are willing to move to a bigger city you will expand your options ten fold. You can also look to a state trooper position. That would allow you to move within the state after some rookie time of course. Hell some fed agencies still hire without a degree. Explore those options, lots out there.

The reserve thing is fine if it fulfills something for YOU. If it desn't take a lot of your time and you like it, why not. If however, you are looking at it as an avenue to full time ....... like others have said ............ it's a not a sure bet. You are working for free, hmmmm!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11112 users online. 483 members and 10629 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X