Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Department transfer later or wait? (Central TX)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department transfer later or wait? (Central TX)

I'm just starting the application process for APD, but talking to some of the local LEO's there's quite a bit of applicants for only few openings.
    Let's say I don't get in, but do get into a smaller PD, is it possible to transfer to APD later? Do you then have to start from the bottom (Cadet?) or do you get credit for time employed? How about future promotions, would they be 2-5 years from start or does time employed at other dept. count?
    Thinking about applying to RRPD as well. Should I wait until APD application process finishes or would it be okay to apply at both?
    Please advise, some direction on this greatly appreciated!

I can't speak for Austin specifically but out here in So Cal, each department makes their own rules as far as that goes. *Usually*, lateral transfers start about 2/3 - 3/4 up the pay scale. *Some* count your prior service for vacation seniority and the like...

I don't know how it specifically works in Texas but I'd be applying all over the place and generally take the first opening that comes up. I personally would want to start out with at least a "mid-size" department so you have a larger choice of specialized assignments and you generally get exposed to more out on the street.
    "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

No lateral for APD, they have many experienced officers (DPS, UTPD, Travis Co. SO) that start as cadets in every academy.

Comment

How about the Academy in Central TX?

Thanks guys!

Just read another post, something that did not even cross my mind: are the academy's down here live-in or do you get to go home at night (I am married with two kids, wife is already livid I'm even thinking about giving up 'corporate America' ($$) to pursue a dream..this will not be pretty if live-in..)

Comment

I went to Cedar Valley College in Dallas. http://www.cedarvalleycollege.edu/di...ed/lea/lea.htm

8-5 Monday thru Friday.

I don't think too many Departments in Texas do lateral transfers.

However I believe if you are POST certified you can challenge the TCLEOSE Test and if you pass, you wouldn't have to go to the academy for a smaller department.

Since your not....You can go with a larger agency and they'll put you through, or go on your own and have more doors open up for you.

Some departments mandate you go to their academy, some won't send you and you have to pay your own way and some do either or.

All sorts of agencies up and down I-35 Georgetown, San marcus, New Braunfels....etc....

Local academies
          Central Texas Regional Academy
          Box 1800
          Killeen, TX 76541
          Phone: (254)526-1276

U.T. Systems Police Academy
          Box 7606, UT Station
          Austin, TX 78713
          Phone: (512)499-4680

Travis Co. Sheriff's Academy
          Box 1748
          Austin, TX 78767
          Phone: (512)473-4194

Temple Police Academy
          105 South 5th Street
          Temple, TX 76501
          Phone: (817)770-5570

San Marcos Police Academy
          2300 I H 35 South
          San Marcos, TX 78666
          Phone: (512)753-2110

Hays Co. Sheriff's Academy
          1307 Old Uhland Road
          San Marcos, TX 78666
          Phone: (512)396-6616

Comment

Originally posted by REMO
            Thanks guys!

Just read another post, something that did not even cross my mind: are the academy's down here live-in or do you get to go home at night (I am married with two kids, wife is already livid I'm even thinking about giving up 'corporate America' ($$) to pursue a dream..this will not be pretty if live-in..)
            Austin is not a live in academy. The only live in academy I know of is DPS. Check out the Austin PD website http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/recruiting/.

It has some good info and should be able to answer a lot of your questions.
            Sucks about your wife. It's tough if you don't have the support of your family. Good luck go ya.

Comment

APD is now accepting pre employment packets...for an upcoming hiring block in october.

Comment

bumb up..for more people applying for APD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5045 users online. 273 members and 4772 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X