X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcallen12003
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureLE
    This is not a knock on any specific State Patrol, but it seems to me that all you would do as S.P is write driving citations..Maybe I am wrong, but that would be pretty boring to me.

Any other opinions or things I didnt think about
    In Mass.they are the State Police and they have very unlimited police powers meaning within the different depts they have jurisdiction not only on the interstates but even in the localities in all aspects such as Logan Airport security,Statehouse ,Massturnpike...2500 Troopers within the state ..

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Two good stops

That is not the norm for me but it does show that you never know what you'll encounter...That really wasn't working hard to make those arrests...Like I said six of those arrrests were out of two stops I had little time for anything else for the next few days...One thing about traffic patrol that sometimes gets forgotten even by folks working traffic is that criminals have to get to where they're going somehow and thats usually in a car
    On the other hand I monitor and respond to calls on the county/city net...I find that around here they do alot of answering false automated alarms...Helping with civil disputes and then it hits the fan...It's really the same all around...Boring, Boring and then extremely not boring!!!

Leave a comment:

• bowtb
    replied
    Originally posted by cincinnaticj7
    I am looking for more information on the NCSP. I have reviewed their website, was just wondering if anyone had any more information on them, like what is the average work week like (hours, days, schedule)? How good/bad are the benefits? How 'tough' can it be to get in? What are some things that could help me out to get on to the NCSP even though I am an out of state resident?
    Thanks,
    Cincinnnaticj7

Just read your posts and the others. One quick comment, not an argument, I too am glad I am am not a trooper for NCSHP. They are not State Police and have very little involvement with crimes other than traffic related.

That being said, I live and have worked in NC LE for fifteen years. On several occasions, Troopers have came to my aid and likewise me to theirs. There academy is very diciplined and extremely mentally and physically challenging. They will break you down to cry for your mommy and then build you back to be a man. They have released some of their restrictions in last couple of years ie> you used to have to move from your home county. Now they try to assign you to a neighboring county and allow you to live in your home. They are very diciplined even after the academy and there appearence as well as their history is very important tho the entire organization.

It is a good organization to work for, however, most of the job is ticket writing and accident investigation. A close personal and professional friend of mine just graduated from NCSHP about a year ago. He worked under my supervision as a city officer and after I left that agency, he was my replacement as supervisor. He always wanted to be a trooper, but he will tell you now. "I would not go through that BS again for nothing" I had rather be a city cop and make less money than go through that hell. Good luck to you and hope this may give you a little more info.

By the way, Tennesee Trooper, that was one hellofa shift for you. GOOD WORK! No disrespect to anyone, I don't know any NC troopers that have ever worked that hard (outside the academy). At least around the areas where I work.

Leave a comment:

• Corrs
    replied
    So does anyone know if I need to be a resident of North Carolina before applying since I live in Cincinnati, Ohio now?

Not for applying, but need to be a resident of NC before reporting to rookie school. Here is the applicant web page http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/Index2...,000734,000736

also, a thing I just thought of, NC is having a big issue with Law Enforcement professionals and cohabitation. A few have been fired and some arrested over it. Most people don't even know of the law and only seven state have it I believe.
    Last edited by Corrs; 08-02-2005, 09:54 PM. Reason: side note

Leave a comment:

• cincinnaticj7
    replied
    Much better. Thank you for the update

Leave a comment:

• VAsteve20
    replied
    Originally posted by trpr2b
    I could be mistaken but the rule used to be that you had to live in the State of North Carolina for at least one year prior to applying.
    that was the case a year or so back... now i dont think that is a minimum requirement now...

Originally posted by NCHP website
    Citizenship
    Must be a citizen of the United States, and must be a legal resident of or reside in North Carolina as of the date he/she reports to Basic School.

Leave a comment:

• trpr2b
    replied
    So does anyone know if I need to be a resident of North Carolina before applying since I live in Cincinnati, Ohio now?
    I could be mistaken but the rule used to be that you had to live in the State of North Carolina for at least one year prior to applying.

Leave a comment:

• cincinnaticj7
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Corrs
    replied
    I had a few rookie school instructors from the NC Highway Patrol. They had some good stories and said they love their jobs. I know they are short handed and need officers, atleast in my area.

Leave a comment:

• FutureLE
    replied
    Lets clear some things up..

I am sorry I misunderstood some of you, I was wrong it thinking you guys were dogging me or whatever you prefer to call it. Having read some of the posts I see there are some other things to State Patrol other than driving citations. Again, I was not trying to say they are great for LE and what they do, just not exactly my cup of tea. Personally I prefer to work in a local environment(City, County PD's) and have a very broad array of possible calls...But to each his own. Hats off to all the State/Highway Patrol, and to all the folks on this thread that I had words with, truce? We are all on the same side here, just sometimes dont see eye to eye--

Leave a comment:

• nctroop14
    replied
    NCSHP is a good agency and well respected. I have enjoyed my 2 years on so far. Like someone stated before, it is a very long, thorough, tough academy. The process just to get in the school is tough. As far as what you do on the road as trooper depends on where u are at. I am near the Va border in the NE part of the state and it is very different than being in a place such as Raleigh, Fayetteville, or Charlotte (some of our busiest places). But we do right tickets, take wrecks...etc. I think a Tenn. Trooper gave a good discription...its pretty much how you make it...you can ride and write tickets, take calls, back up your s.o. or p.d, look for drugs, drunks, there is a lot of freedom! Obviously if you dont work someone will get on you but it is what you make of it.

Leave a comment:

• Entre Nous
    replied
    FutureLE, in reading this thread, I haven't seen a single instance of anyone getting angry or arguing with you. In fact, when you first told TownCop to calm down, I said, "Huh?" and went back over his post looking for anything which would make you think that he was not completely calm. I found nothing. Then others offered polite replies and you became even more defensive.

Seriously, go back over the posts and see if you can put your finger on anything anyone said which indicated that they were "wound a little too tight". Really, I've seen wannabe members get defensive before, but this is a situation where it was entirely unprovoked.
    Last edited by Entre Nous; 07-30-2005, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• VAsteve20
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureLE
    You guys are killing me..LOL I simply had an opinion and alot of you guys are all ****ed off now.. Everyone take a minute and relax, I was not trying to start a big arguement, I thought these boards were for discussion and OPINIONS..Guess everyone here is so uptight they cant even imagine someone having there own opinon...but I know for a fact that several people here agree with my statements, so I guess I am not alone.

BTW--I am done responding to stupid quotes like the one above.. If you guys dont like my opinion then sucks for you. My advice is to relax
    bro, your the one who asked for clarification. now you think "everyone" is spazing on you, when they are not.

Leave a comment:

• FutureLE
    replied
    Originally posted by Troop2256
    ....Good luck with your future LE career...

Good luck
    Thanks Its moving along nicely as we speak

Leave a comment:

• FutureLE
    replied
    Originally posted by nadster011
    future LE, u have no clue...u get on here and sound like a complete a%%clown, yet i couldnt imagine why your name is future, and not current LE..good luck bud...
    You guys are killing me..LOL I simply had an opinion and alot of you guys are all ****ed off now.. Everyone take a minute and relax, I was not trying to start a big arguement, I thought these boards were for discussion and OPINIONS..Guess everyone here is so uptight they cant even imagine someone having there own opinon...but I know for a fact that several people here agree with my statements, so I guess I am not alone.

BTW--I am done responding to stupid quotes like the one above.. If you guys dont like my opinion then sucks for you. My advice is to relax

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4229 users online. 256 members and 3973 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X