300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypoglycemic

Would being hypoglycemic be a D/Q from what you guys have seen and heard? I have never been officially diagnosed with it, but if I dont eat every 3 hours or so, I start getting kinda shaky.. I was also taking a workout supplement R-Ala about 2 months ago and it made my condition worse(stopped taking it).. Therefore if they check my blood sugar levels for the last few months they are going to be pretty crazy..

Do you think either of these would show up on a medical exam? If so would they be a problem?

Thanks

First: Take the time on your own accord to get it checked BEFORE you ever get into the hiring process.

If you have it and are in the hiring process then from that point forward "everyone" (any leo agency will find out through a BI) will know. I'm not sure on if it will DQ you, but if it does then you will have that follow yiou to every department you aply to. I would think that it would depend on the department though. It sure won't help!

If YOU know first then you can make better decisions on what agency or departments to apply to. Getting DQ'd will make it harder as you go through another application process.

Comment

a dq?

I am in no terms a doc of any sort, however from what it sounds like, if it can be controlled by a meal, or snack here and there, i dont see how it would be an automatic dq.. if you make it through a process, and get to the final stage and are cut for this very reason, i would think a rep from the ada would love to hear about it...good luck

Comment

Being a diabetic myself, I have some authority to speak on the nature of hypoglycemia, however, I can't relate that to the hiring process. I take a test every three months that measures the average blood sugar over a three month time span. The test is called the HBA1C. If your average is too low, that may be a problem. If your average is, well, average, then you should be fine. A normal range for the hba1c test is 5 to 6.5. Those numbers don't mean anything to you know, but oh well. It is possible to still have a problem with hypoglycemia and have a normal hba1c. It just depends on the person and the situation. However, in the health care world, a bad hba1c test is looked upon in very negative terms. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks guys. It is easily controlled with with even a few crackers if that is all I can get.. I am just sort of worried about the hba1c test savage4pres mentioned. The supplement I was taking really screwed me up and gave me some pretty low blood sugars.. I will go ahead and get my doc to check me for it..

Anyone know if your medical history, as in the actual records from your doctor are pulled in the medical exam?

Thanks again

Comment

If you've never been diagnosed as hypoglycemic, but you assume that you are because you get shaky every few hours, you should probably look at your diet. If you are eating things with a lot of sugar in them, or a lot of starch that rapidly breaks down into glucose in your body, it will send you blood sugar through the roof. When that happens your pancreas starts pumping out insulin to deal with all the glucose. Within a few hours, your body is telling you it's starving again.

Go find a book that lists the glycemic index of foods and maybe try one of the low-carb or controlled-carb diets out there. It is relatively easy to change your diet to avoid spiking your blood sugar.

Sugar is like poison. Bad eating habits kill more people every year than drunk driving or drug use, but almost no one thinks about the crap they shove in their pie-hole.

Good luck.
            Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
              If you've never been diagnosed as hypoglycemic, but you assume that you are because you get shaky every few hours, you should probably look at your diet. If you are eating things with a lot of sugar in them, or a lot of starch that rapidly breaks down into glucose in your body, it will send you blood sugar through the roof. When that happens your pancreas starts pumping out insulin to deal with all the glucose. Within a few hours, your body is telling you it's starving again.

Go find a book that lists the glycemic index of foods and maybe try one of the low-carb or controlled-carb diets out there. It is relatively easy to change your diet to avoid spiking your blood sugar.

Sugar is like poison. Bad eating habits kill more people every year than drunk driving or drug use, but almost no one thinks about the crap they shove in their pie-hole.

Good luck.
              I actually know alot about nutrition, I have training in all kinds of nutrition--ie. low carb, performance, etc. So its not my diet.. I will probably go ahead and have my doctor run a check on me.

Anyone know if your medical history, as in the actual records from your doctor are pulled in the medical exam?

Comment

Hey. I have some experience in this thing, I just have not been diagnosed but with my family history I kinda think I might hvae adult onset. But from 10 yrs experience if u are going to a busy department there are some days that u can not get to get a lunch-dinner break cause u are running call to call. My place is usually a slow place and I came from ther inner city where I could take 13-15 calls myself in one shift,. I dont think I take 15 calls all week in the new place EXCEPT this past week. 4 times this weel I have not been able to eat lunch due to call volume etc. I have an ok breakfast of Peanut Butter and Jelly on whole grain or wheat bread and when I get to work usually get my first coffee{first problem, i drink a bunch of coffee} and I get either a protein bar or bagel and butter, Bagel, Whats a Bagel? HAHA bad joke.
                I love the new Powerbars, the softer tasty ones. Esp the Choc. chip- peanut butter ones. Not muxh H.F.C.S or hydrogenated oils. I keep it in the car until an hour or so before ;lunch and eat it, incase I get busy for the lunch time and dont get a chance. If I do get to eat then great I LOVE TO EAT... U can always bring a cooler and stick it in thetrunk and load it with bottled H2O and fruit, veggies and a sandwich.
                I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by e-man
                  U can always bring a cooler and stick it in thetrunk and load it with bottled H2O and fruit, veggies and a sandwich.
                  This is what I was planning to do, since I rarely eat fast food..and I dont want to turn into a fatty if I get hired--LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316

Good luck.

OBrien is right. I feel crummy when I eat too much starch or sugar...shaky, heart feels like it racing.....My body just is over working to level out my blood sugar. I try to control my carb intake to a normal level.....not over or under. I tried a Sugar Busters diet once and it made it worse......everyone is different.

There are many diabetics in my family and I get tested at my annual exam.

Plain and simple....eat better.....when you feel shaky, dont eat high carb or sugar. A whole wheat cracker or something low in sugar may help. you have to test it out. I go everywhere with Ritz dinosaur crackers for my daughter anyway and they come in handy if I feel icky myself.

Good luck and see a doctor about that just to be sure......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9553 users online. 404 members and 9149 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X