300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Lauderdale police Department/Delray

Im looking to join Ft. Lauderdale police department. Any advice?
    Is it true that most their patrol is made up of women?
    I've just taken all me test and submitted my aplication packet.

I also applied to Delray beach police department they seem to move fast but I really want to work for FT. Lauderdale.
    Anyone know anything about Delray?

I do not know where you heard that FTL is mostly made up of women. Delray is a good department. I actually live in Delray. The only problem I have with them is that you do not get your take home until you reach 3.5 years of service. It all depends on what it is you are looking for in an agency. I personally would choose Delray. FTL is a bit to "city like" when it comes to their PD for me. Just my .02 though.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

I've heard mostly good about each departments. Actually, the only bad things I have heard mentioned in RE to both is the high cost of living. Go with whoever picks you up first. You can always transfer @ a later date. Good luck

Comment

Do a search for FLPD. The word is they have 400 applicants per open position, so unless you have prior experience, military and a degree, look elsewhere. Good luck.
        It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

A recruiter told me that alot of their patrol is made up of women. It evens says it on their website.
          I dont have any prior expereince in the military just a degree and experience as an explorer.
          I heard a lot of them dont care too much for explorer's. Is that true?
          How can you do a search to see how many applicant's they have?

Comment

I live in ft laud, if i see 1 female cop all day long that's a lot....

former co worker of mine , placed # 2 outta the bunch he was hired

with, going thru his f.t.o., he's a young pup, m.p. army reserve.

gonna be bringin them to jail by the bushel basket w/o

nonsense political policy with my current agency.
            " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
            " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Ft. Lauderdale/The Ritz

I talked to some here and other places. Great department for new people...but everyone comes from everywhere else, and the colume of applicants is staggering, they can have 1000 people retire and you may move up to number 3000 on the list. I'm exxagerting a little, but you get the point.
              To be honest, even at the high rate of pay....where the H*ll can you live there? A pup tent with a battery operated fan seems to be the cheapest. There is no way to be able to buy a house within 50 miles of there, unless your wife makes $100,000 somewhere.
              It's disappointing, but like I've always said...I give a lot of credit to the police down there....I don't know how you do it.
              "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

Im more than half way through the process with Ft Lauderdale PD. Looking for a September Academy date (crossing fingers).

Comment

I think everyone is a blinded by the cost of living there. Ok so if you live smack down in the middle of Downtown the yeah your paying a lot for a tiny little house.
                  It is possible to find a house, you just got to look, I found one I mean Im not in walking distnace of downtown but who cares Ill take the 20 minute drive.
                  The cost of living is high anywhere in a city, unless you move way out west even sunrise and plantation and not excatly cheap

Comment

Houses??

Dude, you tell me where there is a house under $200,000 within 50 miles of Ft. Lauderdale you can buy where the DTF isn't kicking in the neighbor's door. If you have a family, like mine, want to be out of the town....it's going to cost big bucks for a nice place to live where everyone is safe. Don't tell me otherwise, cause my family is from there. Anyone who already had a house from 15 years ago will get a great profit when they eventually sell, but my cousins, and other younger relatives leaving the nest can't stay there, even paying rent.
                    Anyone from out of state who doesn't know the area and wants to take a chance and go down thinking otherwise, I hope your wife has a lot of money coming in(more than you), cause wherever you came from, you'll be back.
                    Also, you have to remember, not everyone moving to FLPD is 20 year old rookies. Sure, it does sound exciting to a new, young guy with no responsibilities other than himself. But I'm 40, and like a lot of other guys my age that are established with kids that would love to move to that area, the cost of living negates it. It's hard to ask a new, young officer, or one that wants to be to understand this. But some day you will.

Comment

Originally posted by eh19512
                      Dude, you tell me where there is a house under $200,000 within 50 miles of Ft. Lauderdale you can buy where the DTF isn't kicking in the neighbor's door. If you have a family, like mine, want to be out of the town....it's going to cost big bucks for a nice place to live where everyone is safe. Don't tell me otherwise, cause my family is from there. Anyone who already had a house from 15 years ago will get a great profit when they eventually sell, but my cousins, and other younger relatives leaving the nest can't stay there, even paying rent.
                      Anyone from out of state who doesn't know the area and wants to take a chance and go down thinking otherwise, I hope your wife has a lot of money coming in(more than you), cause wherever you came from, you'll be back.
                      Also, you have to remember, not everyone moving to FLPD is 20 year old rookies. Sure, it does sound exciting to a new, young guy with no responsibilities other than himself. But I'm 40, and like a lot of other guys my age that are established with kids that would love to move to that area, the cost of living negates it. It's hard to ask a new, young officer, or one that wants to be to understand this. But some day you will.
                      Yes, the housing market is booming here in South Florida, but it's still a far cry from other parts of the country. I moved here from Los Angeles where fixer-uppers are starting at $600,000. I'm sure NYPD and SFPD have similar problems.
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

eh19512 :

Well you just got completley judged a situation with out evening knowing anything. I was just merely stating that I looked for a couple of months and house in fort lauderdale are alot but there are other places that are cheap. I just wanted otheres to know that there are a couple places still nice and getting better where its is a reasonable place to live.
                        1. I am 25 marreid with kids.
                        2. I just bought my first house in Pompano beach 1 mile from the beach. I bouth it in Nov. 04 for 180,000. Now house are selling for 250,000. The neighborhood isnt bad, its far from victoria park. but you dont need a big dog either. its far from ghetto,
                        3. I am not a dude, I am in fact a female.

Next time think about what you say, cause not everyone here is 20yrs old and knows nothing baout life, granted im not 40 but Ive had my fair share of family struggles.

Comment

???

Wannabe,
                          #1, there is no picture attached, so whether you are male or female is irrelavant. And while I apologize for the incorrect salutation, it really is neither here nor there, we are are the same as long as we are police.

#2, I am from that area and know it like the back of my hand, and am visiting back there once a month, so I know what is going on. I appreciate you are 25, have kids and struggles like everyone else, but your situation is not the same in that we are far apart regarding career status in terms of years, and what each of us would have to give up. So comparing the two is pointless.

#3, you are correct in saying there is housing that can be afforded in that area, but there is a large difference in what type of housing it is, or isn't. I know how much $150,000 buys as opposed to $300,000 there. My point, if you read my post closely, was that even making a combined salary of $100,000 between yourself and a spouse makes it difficult when you add in the regular bills, car payments, child care, etc. to afford a mortgage, less qualify for one in a neighborhood that has good quality schools, and a safe place for the kids to grow up. All that has to be taken into consideration. My opinion(and it's just that), is a single male or female starting in FLPD has an advantage because of no tie downs, kids, and pretty much is into just being a cop. It's easier to rent an apartment with a buddy or two to offset costs, go to the beach when you're off. Being married with kids in that area, you need the extra money to help make ends meet. That means working extra jobs for extra income, which= not being home much which eventually= DIVORCE. I've seen it happen so many times there it isn't worth laughing over for sure.

#4, I know you think I'm brash, arrogant and probably egotistical, and well...just plain a jerk. I'm not. I'm just brutally honest, and somemes when writing since you cannot hear voice inflections, it just comes off that way. I'm really a nice person from what other people tell me.

Comment

Living in victoria park.....?

your 1000 ft or so from u.s. 1

crack heads in and out of the neighborhood

dope dealers runnin around

male prostitutes , like cock roachs out during the night

victoria park is not what's suppose to be...

( rio vista resident )
                            " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                            " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I have to agree with the cost of living, I live in Palm Beach County and the prices are high. I'm not sure about Broward, however I would assume that it is as high if not higher.
                              If you manage your money and work some O.T. details it is possible to live comfortably.
                              Delray Beach is a good department, I would also look into Boynton Beach and PBSO.
                              I can tell you that Boynton is going through some VERY positive changes and morale is rapidly going up. The recently approved contract included a decent salary, take home car program, higher vacation accrual, and more that I can't remember right now. The Chief "left" and the interim Chief is excellent. Already new uniforms, new color schemes for patrol cars, new complaint handling policy, it seems too good to be true.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3420 users online. 172 members and 3248 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X