Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FL LEOs: Do I take corrections job or keep looking for LE job?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL LEOs: Do I take corrections job or keep looking for LE job?

First off, here is a little info on me. 29 years old, 9 1/2 years as a cop in the Air Force, Associates in Criminal Justice, no prior drug use, no criminal history other than some shop lifting around 12-13 yrs old, few tickets here and there. Of my 9 1/2 years in the military 2 have been core LE, 2 a mix between LE/security, 2 in an admin type job, and 3 1/2 in nuclear security.

Here is my dilema. Stationed in Wyoming, but would like to work in Florida (grew up there). I get out of the military in about a month and have tested with 2 agencies (not ideal, but all that time would permit due to manning). One of them was in another state which fell through and the other was in S. Florida. The SO I applied with for a road patrol deputy position called me yesterday to offer me a job, however, it's in corrections. I plan to call them today and find out why corrections and not the road, but I assume it is because my EOT did not get approved, and it's very rare to find an agency in Fl that will sponsor you through the academy.

I'm married and have a kid, as well as all the bills that come along with being married for several years (vehicles and CC's). Nothing crazy, but enough that I can't see myself not working and trying to put myself through an academy while trying to support my family. I really have no interest in corrections, but it is a job, and it will get my foot in the door. However I've read a lot of posts concerning the huge turnover rate within corrections and I can't help but wonder if I'll be one of them seeing I'd be going into it kind of as a last resort.

They've stated I can compete to cross over to the road after 18 months, but being the FNG, I don't see that happening right away, as I assume a lot of people go into corrections with the intentions of going to the road as soon as possible. I feel I've done everything I can to make myself an attractive candidate, but the lack of a FL LE cert is holding me back. So I'm not sure if I should just take the corrections job and tough it out until I can either get hired on the road by another agency, or do the cross over with the same SO. Or if I should just turn down the job, get a full time job doing whatever to make ends meet, and keep applying to agencies. I was really hoping my EOT would get approved, but having my doubts now.

Does anyone know the EOT approval process? From what I've read online, it seems the agency/school decides if you meet the requirements or not. It is then forwarded to FDLE for final approval and to get paperwork issued showing I can take the EOT class. Is the FDLE portion just administrative or do they reverify all the information and either concur or nonconcur with the recommendation? Is it worth my efforts to apply to other agencies and try to get my EOT approved, or is very likely if one agency rejected it, they all will?

I know some people will have no sympathy for me simply because I want the road and not corrections, but I was hoping a degree and 9 1/2 years in the military would account for something when applying.
    Last edited by Airforcop; 07-19-2005, 06:36 AM.
    sigpic

If it is BSO, they are blowing smoke up your ***** about letting you cross over in 18 months. Put yourself thorough the EOT, if I recall it is only a 40 hour course. Then you can test and be FL certified. Makes it a lot easier to apply down here.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

No, was Collier County. My question though, is if Collier County denied my EOT, is it possible that another agency may apporve it, or I may be able to get it approved through the school and just pay to take the class myself?
      sigpic

Comment

PASS (Pinellas County) probably did not give you the EOT waiver (which is who Collier County uses). If your in SF and guarding nukes then most likely thats why you were rejected. Just remember there is generally more $$$ in OT in the corrections (go to one of the TV stations and do a search reguarding the OT budget).
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

The whole EOT thing just ****es me off. Anytime you see an agency talk about it, they specifically mention military cops. Yet, I haven't met one yet who has gotten approved. According to the prereq, it states you need to have 1 full year of LE work in the past 8 years. I have 2 of nothing but LE, as well as another 2 that were primarily LE, but with a little security mixed in there. I'm currently a dispatcher per say in the missile field, and started my career in the Air Force working nukes, but that shouldn't matter. Oh well, if I do this corrections thing, I can just do the cross-over academy in a year and have a cert in both.
          sigpic

Comment

Unfortunatly FDLE specifically rejects the wording "Security forces" when conducting EOT for military police officers. I know many folks (I was a reserve SP @ Patrick AFB) who had their training and such rejected by FDLE. Alot of folks ended up biting the bullet working a year at Kennedy Space Center/ Cape Canaveral Air Force Station as a police officer then going thru EOT.

Here is a link to the kennedy space center Security Police
            Last edited by orlandofed5-0; 07-20-2005, 12:15 AM. Reason: adding link
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I know its a pain but i would say stay with Collier, even if they want you to start in the jail. Of course i would fight a bit for them to put you on the road first but if they say no chance.....then i would take it. Trust me, after 18 months or 2 years youll have that chance to get out (pending no investigations) and youll love it.
              Just my thoughts.

Comment

Assuming clean record and no trouble while working in the jail, how realistic is it to assume getting a job on the road within 2 years? I know I CAN apply for a transfer to the road after 18 months, but realistically, how long should I expect it to take? Do you happen to know if goes soley off duty performance in the jail, or will they take into consideration my degree as well as my prior military experience when judging me against others who may have been working with the SO for a longer period of time?
                sigpic

Comment

I worked inside for 4 years before I went to the road. I will be the first to admit but I absolutely hate working the jail. However, the fact of the matter is you will learn how to be a cop. Working all that time in the jail has made my life a lot easier on the road. First off, you learn how to deal with the Criminal element. You can pick out dirtbags so much better. Plus, the communication skills you learn are 10-fold.

Am I saying that corrections is glamorous, hell no. Quite honestly you sit for 50 minutes an hour and your doing 5 minutes of work. However, its good experience for the street. I would take the job and just keep applying. Dept. finds out you were offered corrections and didn't take it and had no other options at the time, it might be a red flag in there eyes.

I would take the job, learn as much as you can. Apply everywhere, in time it will all work out.

Comment

I worked inside for 4 years before I went to the road. I will be the first to admit but I absolutely hate working the jail. However, the fact of the matter is you will learn how to be a cop. Working all that time in the jail has made my life a lot easier on the road. First off, you learn how to deal with the Criminal element. You can pick out dirtbags so much better. Plus, the communication skills you learn are 10-fold.

Am I saying that corrections is glamorous, hell no. Quite honestly you sit for 50 minutes an hour and your doing 5 minutes of work. However, its good experience for the street. I would take the job and just keep applying. Dept. finds out you were offered corrections and didn't take it and had no other options at the time, it might be a red flag in there eyes. Especially here in Michigan where there are no jobs.

I would take the job, learn as much as you can. Apply everywhere, in time it will all work out.

Comment

I never worked in the jail so I cant say either way if its good or not. Alot of the jail guys who work the road now seem to have it a little easier cause they know all the criminals from the jail. Easier to spot them...easier to spot gang members, tatoos and such.

As for CCSO Ive seen a lot of guys get out onto the road after a few years. If you screw up though your chances may be shot. Keep your nose clean and im sure youll be ok. Let me talk to some jail guys who work the road now and ill try to get back to you soon. Stay positive.

Comment

I'm on the road with a SO in south florida and I'd advise you NOT to go into corrections unless you plan on staying there for at least 3 years. Don't settle. Go for the road, since Collier County said no - go somewhere else. If you want more info PM me.

Comment

I have to agree with Cop.. I tried to backdoor it and do corrections; and it backfired bigtime. If you want the road, go for the road.. Don't settle for 2nd place.

BE SAFE!!
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

AF Cop

I am an Air Force cop myself (1 year 4 mos in, mostly flightline security with a wee bit of LE). I aim to get an LE career when I get out.
                            -SrA J Hughes
                            United States Air Force
                            Security Forces Patrolman
                            -Defensor Fortis-

-AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

Comment

everything depends if you want to be a career employee,
                              what you learn in the jail house is gonna be valuable...
                              my agency's road patrol is prob made up of 50% former jail
                              deputies, and the highest rank outta that bunch is a district chief,
                              and quite a few LT'S....

however go with yr gut feeling.....
                              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12641 users online. 475 members and 12166 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X