300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background interview-Dress/Shave ?'s

I have 2 INFORMAL interviews this week and I am not sure exactly how to dress

Both say business casual, one detective told me khakis and a polo, but I dont want to show up looking too casual or too dressy. I think a suit might be an overkill, but I am not sure. So I was thinking about tan dress pants, and a light-weight form fitting sweater(semi-dressy) How does that sound?

I am also not sure about shaving or not.. I have a mustache that connects around my mouth.. not sure the exact name, but it is clean and neat.. Should I shave it all off for the interviews?

Thanks for the opinions

dress for sucess !!!!
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE
      I am also not sure about shaving or not.. I have a mustache that connects around my mouth.. not sure the exact name, but it is clean and neat.. Should I shave it all off for the interviews?

Thanks for the opinions
      I'd shave the goatee.
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop
        dress for sucess !!!!

So a suit? Or the dress pants/sweater? Thanks

Comment

They say you shouldn't out-dress your interviewer. If they are in uniform, wear a suit, if they wear khakis and collared shirts, go with that. I would just ask what the dress requirements are for the interview. Take your stuff to the cleaners and get it pressed/starched. And it is always better to overdress then underdress. Personally, I would wear a suit unless they specifically ask you not to (i.e. business casual).

Comment

Originally posted by Joebob
            They say you shouldn't out-dress your interviewer. If they are in uniform, wear a suit, if they wear khakis and collared shirts, go with that. I would just ask what the dress requirements are for the interview. Take your stuff to the cleaners and get it pressed/starched. And it is always better to overdress then underdress. Personally, I would wear a suit unless they specifically ask you not to (i.e. business casual).

They did say business casual,"he said khakis and polo shirt"-- So I guess I will go with the dress pants and nice sweater or a shirt/tie and I will shave everything just to be safe--

Comment

You say informal and you were told business casual so that should work. Under these guidelines you could consider one step up from bus casual. Go tan dockers, blue button down shirt, dark blue sports coat. Stick a tie in the pocket just in case so you have it if it is more formal than you were told!

Oh, and wear dress type shoes, not boots.

I agree on losing the stach! Good luck.

Comment

I wore a suit and tie to my interview.

A month later I got my offer letter.

Comment

Did the interviewer tell you business casual or someone else from the department? I had a background orientation and the person giving the orientation told us when we meet with our background investigator to not wear a suit, but don't come in shorts and flipflops. So I came in business casual clothes (khakis and a button up collared shirt) and the background investigator got on my case for not wearing a suit.

If I remember correctly the first words out of his mouth was who told you not to wear a suit. Then went on about how he has been in the background orientation many times and they never tell people to not wear a suit.

I say better safe than sorry.

Comment

Whatever you choose make sure your shoes are shined!
                    MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Khakis, long sleeve dress shirt and a tie...nice shoes and a clean shave!!
                      "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Leader
                        Khakis, long sleeve dress shirt and a tie...nice shoes and a clean shave!!
                        seconded...

Comment

Went today and everything went good, Shaved clean and I wore dress shoes, dress pants and a nice sweater. Most people were pretty casual(khakis/polo) some wore suits and 1 clown came in a Nike warmup suit and hat--

On to the Background investigation!!! A background Detective looked over my background packet and said I was definetly in the running so hopefully it wont take too long to hear something.. I hate wondering how things are going

Thanks for the clothing/shaving advice

Comment

Clean shaven, haircut, slacks, and a sports jacket with button up shirt and tie. This has always worked for me.
                            Don't forget dress shoes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9548 users online. 404 members and 9144 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X