300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fayetteville North Carolina Police Department

Anyone have any info on them? I was stationed down there for four years and it was a good time. Now I'm with a Sheriff's Office in Northern Virginia and can't get outta here fast enough due to the ridiculous house prices and taxes.
    I have been going back and forth on this issue for almost a year now. I wanted to transfer to a police department in New Jersey or North Carolina but you have to be a resident of New Jersey just to take the test? So I figured I would look into Fayetteville since the housing cost is extremely cheap but the pay is only about 30k starting with exp.

In NC I would suggest Charlotte, Raleigh or Greensboro. There are some smaller departments in neighboring communities to those cities that also are probably decent pay wise. Charlotte's starting pay is now mid-high 30s, and top pay is close to 60 if you have 4 year degree. Raleigh and Greensboro are similar, but I do not know what the exact numbers are.

Comment

I moved out of northern Virginia down to the coast of North Carolina back in August of last year. The pay isn't as good down here, but the cost of living is cheaper, although gas prices are better in the Fredericksburg area than down here . I've been to Fayetteville once and it's not bad, only a few hours from the beach. I would imagine the department you work for now is nationally accredited, so you might be able to by-pass the basic law enforcement training they require and just take the NC Laws section of the rookie school. But I don't know their policy. http://police.ci.fayetteville.nc.us/
      Corrs
      "Oh, pardon me. For some reason you sounded a little taller on radio"

Comment

Originally posted by Corrs
        I moved out of northern Virginia down to the coast of North Carolina back in August of last year. The pay isn't as good down here, but the cost of living is cheaper, although gas prices are better in the Fredericksburg area than down here . I've been to Fayetteville once and it's not bad, only a few hours from the beach. I would imagine the department you work for now is nationally accredited, so you might be able to by-pass the basic law enforcement training they require and just take the NC Laws section of the rookie school. But I don't know their policy. http://police.ci.fayetteville.nc.us/
        Finally somebody else who has made the exodus out of Northern Virginia. It really is ridiculous up here. The home prices compared to average pay is absurd. I really want to transfer ASAP but Fayetteville has told me 3 times that I need 2 years on out of the academy. That means August of 06, which means I would need to extend my lease, which means $1500 a month for 10 months. I can't do it. What department are you with NC? I lived there for 4 years and really miss it now that I am in the middle of a rat race up here.

Comment

Wow, I always thought all of Virgina was really cheap to live in? I heard Arlington and Fairfax was a little expensive...How are house prices in the area? I guess anything right out of DC would be pricey....

Comment

[QUOTE=VA1023]but you have to be a resident of New Jersey just to take the test? [QUOTE]

I believe that you need to be a NJ resident to take the statewide civil service. I'm sure you need NJ residency to get on any civil service lists. But, there are many departments in NJ that do not use the civil service test. Also, NJSP you dont need NJ residency to apply.

Comment

You dont want to work in NJ,,,I spent ten years there..There is more political BS,, most major PD's there dont support their officers and after the racial profiling thing, its next to impossible to do police work there...I believe the NJSP is still under a consent degree. There is a reason they are hiring outside of NJ now If you want to stay East I would either try somewhere else in VA or the Carolinas or Florida....

Comment

The house we had in Fredericksburg (Hartwood area) sold for close to $300K last year, and my family purchased it about 15 years ago for around $150K I believe. Apartments in Stafford county were going for close to $1000 for a small one. I have a new town house down here for almost half of that.

Not working for a department yet, finished the BLET rookie school back in March. I am currently going through the process for Brunswick County Sheriff's Office. Just waiting to meet with Sheriff Hewett, finished everything else.

If you are looking for other departments out side of Fayetteville, I know city of Wilmington are looking for 20 some officers, NC Highway Patrol is short handed.
                Corrs
                "Oh, pardon me. For some reason you sounded a little taller on radio"

Comment

Originally posted by AzInv
                  Wow, I always thought all of Virgina was really cheap to live in? I heard Arlington and Fairfax was a little expensive...How are house prices in the area? I guess anything right out of DC would be pricey....

My girlfriend lives in NVA (Fairfax County). She paid $145K for a three bedroom townhouse 8 years ago. A townhouse the next block over, same style as her's, went for $400K just three weeks ago!!!

Comment

I left Spotsylvania County 4 years ago and now you can not find a decent house for under $300,000. I took a little of a pay cut moving to Charleston,SC but I live much more comfortably.

Comment

I agree, this DC area is the highest cost area I have ever lived in, and I was born and raised in NJ, moved to NC, joined the Military, received an honorable discharge, and now work as a network analyst for the G, and I hate being in an office. Sorry, just had to vent.

There are some cheaper places to live if you are willing to commute, but with todays gas prices, unless you drive a hybrid, that may not work out either. I dunno

Comment

Va1023

I will tell you a hot ticket right now I know of...Chesterfield County, South of Richmond. I know it's still Virginia, but I talked to a recruiter there and they are taking lateral entry...up to 25% above the starting salary! And you can live in Western Chesterfield, and the cost of living there is cheap in the stix. It's not Carolina...but close. Also, NJ has "Chief of Police testing" for some departments...you don't have to be a resident to apply. But you will find a lot of departments want 2-4 years of college. The way to find these departments is to go to the departments websites. They'll have all their hiring information. Did you check out NJ's civil service page to find out if you need to be a resident there to apply for civil service? I lived there a long time ago....I don't remember what is was like.
                        "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcatz06
                          My girlfriend lives in NVA (Fairfax County). She paid $145K for a three bedroom townhouse 8 years ago. A townhouse the next block over, same style as her's, went for $400K just three weeks ago!!!
                          My wifes cousins live just a few blocks north of Georgetown in GLover Park. They paid about 330,000 for a 3 bd. townhouse about 4 yrs ago. A house 4 doors down went for 880,000 a few months ago.
                          I got nothing for now

Comment

This might not apply to you younger guys but New Joisey has an age max too, its 35. Cant start an academyt if your over 35.
                            I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by e-man
                              This might not apply to you younger guys but New Joisey has an age max too, its 35. Cant start an academyt if your over 35.
                              That is incorrect. If you were in the military you can ad up to 4 years to the age for 4 years of active duty to a total of 39 years of age as the cut off point for civil service.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6313 users online. 347 members and 5966 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X