300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Police Department APD

Does anyone here work for the Austin PD? I am thinking about applying and would like some first hand knowledge of the department. Anything that you can share about Austin would be helpful.

Mike

Hearing what they have to say is one thing. The best thing to do is go down there and talk to the WC and ask him/her to schedule a ride-a-long. There you will see and hear the truth. Ask your (partner) some pertinent questions..

Do you like it here?
    What don't you like about the dept?
    Where do you see the dept going?
    How is the benefit....days off, etc....?
    Good Luck and Test Well!
    Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
    6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

Austin is the most liberal city in Texas. The PD is going to reflect that. Just take that for what it's worth. If you like sitting in IAD for every complaint from traffic to use of force, then APD is the place for you.

Comment

As with any dept. it has its pro and cons. Pros: one of the highest paying in the area with lots of incentives, you'll be kept pretty busy, good academy, various specialized units.
        Cons: the biggest one is the politics. the dept (the chief in particular) is very "sensitive" to the P.R. issues. Sometimes this is a good thing, most times its not. (Goes along with what "setexas" was saying). I strongly encourage you go on a ride-along...talk to as many officers as possible.
        Not saying you can't be happy there (alot of officers that work there are). Just that you will want to know what you're going to have to deal with once you get in.

On a side note...have you considered Round Rock PD?

Comment

Well as far as Austin goes I think I am going to call them this week and try to set up a ride along, if they are more liberal, I think they are more likely to do ride alongs. While Im down there I will get the application etc... and get the process rolling.

If they accept me great if they don't oh well. I am just looking for my first LEO job so I am not picky.

Gab, I have been looking into Round Rock and will be contacting them to pick up an application just as I am doing with Temple and Belton.

If for some reason I don't get hired by one of these departments then I might just send my self to the academy, use my VA benifits to pay for it, then apply again.

Who knows, I might pass the background for Killeen and then I won't have to apply anywhere else! That would be really convienent and thats exactly why I don't think it will happen.

Thanks for all the good info,

Mike
          Last edited by mrkoje; 07-18-2005, 02:48 PM. Reason: noticed misspelling

Comment

********** forums have a couple of users in the APD application process.

Comment

Originally posted by mrkoje
              Well as far as Austin goes I think I am going to call them this week and try to set up a ride along, if they are more liberal, I think they are more likely to do ride alongs. While Im down there I will get the application etc... and get the process rolling.

If they except me great if they don't oh well. I am just looking for my first LEO job so I am not picky.

Gab, I have been looking into Round Rock and will be contacting them to pick up an application just as I am doing with Temple and Belton.

If for some reason I don't get hired by one of these departments then I might just send my self to the academy, use my VA benifits to pay for it, then apply again.

Who knows, I might pass the background for Killeen and then I won't have to apply anywhere else! That would be really convienent and thats exactly why I don't think it will happen.

Thanks for all the good info,

Mike
              Mike,
              The recruiters as APD are really helpful and can answer any questions you might have. I know that they will be accepting applications starting Oct-Feb. They anticipate to have the next academy around Fall of 2006. (They only recruit once a year). Their hiring process can take 12-15 months.

Round Rock is accepting year round. Call and speak to Captain Bratton. He oversees recruiting and is VERY cool. He can also help set you up with a ride along. They recruit year round and are going to try to have the next test date (written and PT) in October. I was told their hiring process is 6-8 months. They currently pay less than APD, but are looking to increase salaries and incentives. They also have take home cars. I have to admit I am partial to Round Rock. They are a smaller department than APD and are in the spot-light as much.

Best of luck.

Comment

Mike, I am not a cop, but a civie who lives in Austin. Take the LE advice about ride-alongs and such. I live away from the city for a reason. Round Rock, Leander and Cedar Park all have their own PD's I believe. Even Lake Travis has their own, if I am not mistaken. Smaller burb areas are a lot better....thats just my opinion.
                Austin is hot and rough if you are not from here and have not grown used to the liberal monkeys that do try to run the city at times. I just roll my eyes and move on. I am a civilian, I can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gab-E
                  Mike,
                  The recruiters as APD are really helpful and can answer any questions you might have. I know that they will be accepting applications starting Oct-Feb. They anticipate to have the next academy around Fall of 2006. (They only recruit once a year). Their hiring process can take 12-15 months.

Round Rock is accepting year round. Call and speak to Captain Bratton. He oversees recruiting and is VERY cool. He can also help set you up with a ride along. They recruit year round and are going to try to have the next test date (written and PT) in October. I was told their hiring process is 6-8 months. They currently pay less than APD, but are looking to increase salaries and incentives. They also have take home cars. I have to admit I am partial to Round Rock. They are a smaller department than APD and are in the spot-light as much.

Best of luck.

Gab,

Thanks for the input. I will call Captain Bratton or one of his recruiters and get the ball rolling in Round Rock. Money is an important factor but having a job in LE is more important and as long as they pay enough to live on then I am set.

I noticed on their web site that they provide a lot of fringe benifits such as the take home car, pager, cell phone, business cards, email Address, take home radio plus all equipment such as firearm and uniforms.

Like I said I am going to apply but hopfully I will be able to get on with Killeen. That way I won't have to move.

Thanks again Gab,

Mike

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4485 users online. 298 members and 4187 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X