300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crisis/Hostage Negotiator

I'm very interested in this aspect of LE. So I'm hoping that folks can lend a few pointers/advice. What's the best way to get into this field/carrer path

Get some classes in psychology/social work?
    Is it helpful to be on a SWAT or Special Response team?
    Past human exploitation (ie. interrogation) work from the military?
    Thanks

It takes a different type of person to be a Crisis Negotiator. You must be patient, understanding and be able to talk for hours on end with someone who is at their wits end, possibly on drugs and may have nothing to live for. I would suggest spending a few years on the beat first, then start looking towards Negotiations, this will give you an idea of what your up against.
    There's no substitute for strength,
    and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Telic-VA
      I'm very interested in this aspect of LE. So I'm hoping that folks can lend a few pointers/advice. What's the best way to get into this field/carrer path

Get some classes in psychology/social work?
      Is it helpful to be on a SWAT or Special Response team?
      Past human exploitation (ie. interrogation) work from the military?
      Thanks
      Check out this Yahoo Group fro Crisis Hostage Negotiators at www.CrisisNegotiators.net

Comment

Our Crisis team is totally separate from SWAT and they are comprised of a Psychologist, few officers, detectives, etc. At our department, an individual can apply for the position after three years service and previous SWAT experience has never been an issue.

Obviously, the ability on handling stressful calls & people is looked at.

Comment

I was a negotiator for my last department. We were a seperate group from thre SWAT guys, remember A negotiator does do tactical and Tactial dont negotiate. It was actually "Commanders dont negotiate and negotiators dont command. or someting like that. I got into it for the reasons Chop said, it takes a different person, its a different way of doing things from the standard street cop. My department was actually putting togethter a real {haha} team and they had an FBI agent and a chief from a nother department as well as our Sgt. involved in the selection interviews. Even before that I took a 16 hour course taught by an retired FBI guy and that got me real interested. Then after having that I trained with all our gys and gals with the PA state Police and FBI instructors for 40 hours. I was succesful after the training going '5 for 5' Not that I kept score but I remember every single one I was part of. Going from suicidal people on a bridge, to being on the roof of a house in the sub freezing weather, to barricaded gunmen with gun to estranged wifes head.
          It is a HUGE responsibility to be a crisis or hostage negotiator. Some people cant take the responsibility of trying to save someones life. More than jsut the street cop-first responder.
          SOme classes in psycology might help but find out if your department is lookign for that and they might send in the local FBI office to train or the state police. Also check out I think its Calibre press, they have training seminars nationwide and they have classes on Negotiations I, then II etc.
          "I pay your salary" Yeah So, Can I get a freakin raise???

It takes a village, this he knows is true

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5147 users online. 286 members and 4861 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X