300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta lateral

I'm looking at applying to Atl as a lateral. I've heard there is no OT on APD only comptime. Is this true? If so, how do you make your money? Are there outside employment opportunities? Also, can any APD officers explain the pension (years, %) to me. I couldn't even get a good answer from the recruiter.

My salary would be about 45k. How far does that go in the area?

If anybody has gone through the lateral process let me know your experience.

The only part I can make a comment on is if you are offered 45K starting, you can live well in this area, as long as you don't live directly in the city.
    God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by dcpolice
      I'm looking at applying to Atl as a lateral. I've heard there is no OT on APD only comptime. Is this true? If so, how do you make your money? Are there outside employment opportunities? Also, can any APD officers explain the pension (years, %) to me. I couldn't even get a good answer from the recruiter.

My salary would be about 45k. How far does that go in the area?

If anybody has gone through the lateral process let me know your experience.
      Dont know about overtime, but the city has alot of extra jobs for you to work..My buddy with APD works the Braves games and makes good for those

Comment

Curious..

How much pay are they paying for experience in Atlanta? What do they define as "lateral"?
        NO OT, just Comp? Did you check to see if you can actually USE that comp? The city has some financial issues, and is already short on PD, that's why I was asking about the comp. I was just wondering if you can use it, or would it just accumulate because they can't give you the time off. In that case, at some point they would have to pay you for hours if it's not used...but when does that come and up to how many hours will they pay you? If you have 200 hrs., and they will pay you up to 100....that's a lot of free time they give you. I'm from PA, but there are cities here that do the same thing and run into the exact same issues.
        BTW, if you are from out of state, do you have to go back through the academy again, even with over 15 years of service?
        Thanks,
        Paul
        "Living may not be free, but thank God we are free to live"

Comment

Originally posted by eh19512
          How much pay are they paying for experience in Atlanta? What do they define as "lateral"?
          NO OT, just Comp? Did you check to see if you can actually USE that comp? The city has some financial issues, and is already short on PD, that's why I was asking about the comp. I was just wondering if you can use it, or would it just accumulate because they can't give you the time off. In that case, at some point they would have to pay you for hours if it's not used...but when does that come and up to how many hours will they pay you? If you have 200 hrs., and they will pay you up to 100....that's a lot of free time they give you. I'm from PA, but there are cities here that do the same thing and run into the exact same issues.
          BTW, if you are from out of state, do you have to go back through the academy again, even with over 15 years of service?
          Thanks,
          Paul
          You can go through the abridged acadamy if your prior training is accepted by P.O.S.T.. The abridged acadamy is 200 hours as opposed to 400 hrs. Also an experienced officer meeting their criteria could start as high as 45K. This is well above Savannah-Chatham PD.
          God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

Cleveland OHIO laid off a bunch of officers & Atlanta hired almost all. They seem to like it and are doing well there

Comment

I emailed the recruiter he said lateral classes are 8 weeks.

Also said you can retire as early as 55 with 15 years & 45%. 55 is not early. I can leave DC at 47 y/o with 25 years 63% and collect right away.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5894 users online. 336 members and 5558 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X