Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mobrien316
    You're kidding, right?

Polygraph examiners are trained interrogators - they are not there to be your friend or help you get a job. Just like cops in the interview room, sometimes they think the best way to get an admission is to be a hard-***, and sometimes they talk about puppies or your car. Either way, they just want you to make a damaging admission.
    To a certain extent you're right, but if ALL they wanted to do was DQ people, nobody would ever pass. I've passed 2 polys, and during both exams I was able to establish a decent repore (sp?) with the examiner. I fully agree with you on the premise of the test, and the fact that the whole process is very unreliable.

I think it boils down to whether or not the examiner thinks you're a good candidate. In most cases, you fill out an extensive questionaire, which the examiner will read before asking you anything. This is where he decides whether you should be a cop or not. If he thinks you've got an acceptable background, based on the questionaire and whatever conversation you've already had, he's going to be much more inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt once you're hooked up the machine. If he doesn't like you, because of your background, or you just make a bad impression on him, he'll be scrutinizing you much more closely.

This is all just my opinions based on my limited experience, but I firmly believe it. On my most recent poly, I got along great with the guy, probably because I'm already a cop, just looking to change departments, and the exam was a breeze. Afterwards he told me that I had "some trouble" with a couple questions, but that overall it looked fine and that I passed. He never grilled me on anything, or accused me of lying or anything. But even on my first one, I wasn't a cop then, but I still had a decent experience and passed.

I think it's a shame that so many departments insist on using the polygraph for pre-employment screening, but at the same time I know that it's possible, and a lot of times easy, to pass one. You just need to be confident that you are telling the truth, and relax.
    Last edited by Dave2886; 09-17-2007, 12:12 AM.
    Aggression will save you when caution won't.
    -Kent Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2886
      I think it's a shame that so many departments insist on using the polygraph for pre-employment screening, but at the same time I know that it's possible, and a lot of times easy, to pass one.
      It would be nice to think it's easy to pass a polygraph. However, the polygraph is roughly as accurate as a coin toss when it comes to determining deception on pre-employment screening exams. The truth is that your behavior has to fall within a specific set of arbitrary parameters established by the examiner in order for you to pass. If your behavior strays outside those parameters then you are accused of deception, or countermeasures, or both. It's possible to toss a coin and have it land on tails - sometimes it's even easy to do so. That doesn't make it a good method of determing who is telling the truth and who is not.

Go to Antipolygraph.org and check out the accounts of people who told the truth and still failed. If you really want to blow your mind, download the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute's Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test and see a little of the behind-the-scenes deception that goes on in your polygraph test.
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Well:

Originally posted by JKooL
        I'm 21 and have never done any illegal drugs or smoked. I've never even had a beer, and I'm wondering how that's gonna fly when I start applying - good thing all my friends and family can attest to that!
        I was kind of curious about the same thing although I've had a few beers from time to time. The person giving the polygraph asked me several times verbally about taking drugs because it's usually uncommon for someone to have never tried drugs I suppose. Just be prepared for it, try not to be too nervous, relax and just answer the questions honestly. Hiding anything or trying to will just hurt you in the end. Ultimately I had no problem at all out of my polygraph. Good luck to anyone taking one, although you shouldn't need luck.
        - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

What was that Web site again? I don't think you've spoonfed me enough ...

Comment

Originally posted by Blatant
            What was that Web site again? I don't think you've spoonfed me enough ...
            I think it was www.ifailedthepolyandnowimreallybitter.com
            -Kent Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2886
              At one time people were absolutely convinced you tell if a person had criminal tendencies by reading the bumps on their head. Today, if you had to go to a certified phrenologist for a pre-employment screening you would think it was ridiculous.

Everyone knows there is no scientific basis for phrenology. Can anyone tell me what the scientific basis is for polygraphy?

I will leave out the link on this post...

Comment

I FAILED my Phoenix polygraph.

I just PASSED my Sheriff's Dept. polygraph.

For the Sheriff's dept I....
                - Closed my eyes during the entire test
                - I was much more at ease with my tester

That was really about it. Same machine and everything.

Comment

At one time people were absolutely convinced you tell if a person had criminal tendencies by reading the bumps on their head. Today, if you had to go to a certified phrenologist for a pre-employment screening you would think it was ridiculous.

Everyone knows there is no scientific basis for phrenology. Can anyone tell me what the scientific basis is for polygraphy?

Hey man, relax, I was just poking a little fun...
                  Last edited by Dave2886; 09-17-2007, 12:08 AM.
                  -Kent Anderson

Comment

Poly

I failed my first one in Frederick Co. MD, and was never invited back!
                    -SrA J Hughes
                    United States Air Force
                    Security Forces Patrolman
                    -Defensor Fortis-

-AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

Comment

Unfortunately, if you made any admissions at all during the post-test interview, you have almost certainly failed. A common tactic goes something like this:

1. During pre-test interview, examinee will admit to smoking marijuana "a few times." The polygraph examiner questions him at length until he pins down the exact number to "four times."

2. During the polygraph test, the examiner asks something like: "Other than what you told me, have you ever smoked marijuana?" The examinee responds: "No."

3. During the post-test interview, the examiner (falsely) claims that there was a significant response to the question about smoking marijuana and asks if it is possible that the subject could have smoked it more than four times. Trying to be as honest as possible, the subject figures that maybe he did smoke it five or six times and just forgot about it. So, trying to be honest, he agrees that he might have smoked five or six times.

4. Since the subject first claimed to have smoked no more than four times, and then later claimed to have smoked five or six times, the examiner reports back to the police agency that the subject lied about how many times they've smoked marijuana.

If you don't think this happens, you're as naive as the polygraph examiner wants you to be. Go to Antipolygraph.org and download their free e-book "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector." Admissions are like trophies to a polygraph examiner - that's what it's all about. If you change your story during the post-test interview, even in a sincere attempt to be as honest as possible, it will usually be viewed as an admission of deception.
                      This is what my poly guy did to me. At that time I had no clue but, now after reading this....it was exactly what he did. Same exact thing, I told him 4 times and then afterwards got me to say different. The only thing was I was in the poly for 8 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by topgun3131
                        This is what my poly guy did to me. At that time I had no clue but, now after reading this....it was exactly what he did. Same exact thing, I told him 4 times and then afterwards got me to say different. The only thing was I was in the poly for 8 hrs.
                        You were in the poly for 8 hours? That sure sounds like a violation of their standards. You should check into the certifications of whoever conducted your examination and make a complaint about them to your agency.

From your post it sounds like you were disqualified as a result of your polygraph. Sorry to hear that. Keep putting in applications.

If you are DQ'd as the result of something serious being found on your background application, it usually means you will be DQ'd regardless of where you apply. However, if you are DQ'd because of a failed polygraph, all that means is that the coin landed on heads instead of tails this time. Keep trying.

Comment

Thank God, man.....I'm getting tired of reading that damn link. It's like watching a damn infomercial on "How to pass your polygraph" at 2 am. Geeze....
                          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                            I FAILED my Phoenix polygraph.

I just PASSED my Sheriff's Dept. polygraph.

For the Sheriff's dept I....
                            - Closed my eyes during the entire test
                            - I was much more at ease with my tester

That was really about it. Same machine and everything.
                            yep sounds typical... its all about the operator... the poly operator can get whatever results he wants...
                            for instance, back in 2001 i had a polygraph with fairfax county PD...
                            well, my polygraph operator decided to say i commited arson because a friend put a firecracker in a port-a-john and caught some toilet tissue on fire...
                            i argued that because there was no damage done, by law i could not have been charged with arson, or as an accessory.
                            well from then on we butted heads...
                            and needless to say, i failed simply because this guy had his way with me...
                            we argued, and he proceded to tell me i was wrong, and i couldnt do anything but laugh and define arson to him. but whatever.

guy had me in this room for 7 hours.
                            so now every department i apply with askes me about my arson days lol...
                            im like "jeeeeez, this guy has it out for me... i never commited arson." then i explain the entire situation...
                            i passed my last poly with out an issue... process took maybe 1.5-2 hours if that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4728 users online. 246 members and 4482 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X