300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Airforcop
    PPD668: I don't think it's a department thing, I think it goes by state, I could be wrong. I know Minnesota does not do polys and I believe I read on here that New Jersey doesn't do them either. Not sure about any of the other states.
    In Connecticut I am ashamed to say that it is state law that all law enforcement applicants must "pass" a polygraph.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

At least I am not alone in this by a long shot. I guess a lot of people hate the polygraph.

How can a device, who's data is not admissable in a court of law, able to affect a person's entire career so profoundly?

Comment

Yeah I went in there with intent to be completely honest, and I couldn't sit still if my life depended on it. The proctor was like only you can screw this up. I told the truth about everything, but didn't feel I did so hot. I assume I passed it though cuz now I have a guy asking my former employers about me.

I think it is more used just to mess with your mind and see how you react.

Comment

Well, apparently it is used for more than that. You wouldn't think that way if you failed like I did.

Comment

If this job doesn't work out, then I will probably store all my stuff here in Cheyenne where I'm stationed, and go live with the in-laws for a bit until I decide where I'm moving. I really can't afford to flip the bill myself for a move, so would rather spend $100-200/month in storage fees for a while and then have the military move me once I know for a fact where I'm going.

PPD668: I don't think it's a department thing, I think it goes by state, I could be wrong. I know Minnesota does not do polys and I believe I read on here that New Jersey doesn't do them either. Not sure about any of the other states.

NJ does not use the polygraph in the hiring process

Comment

"You lie, you die." The polygraph examiners are human, remeber that. Get on their good side and they ususally will give you the benefit of the doubt.

www.****************************
              Good Luck and Test Well!
              Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
              6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

Originally posted by wayno1806
                "You lie, you die." The polygraph examiners are human, remeber that. Get on their good side and they ususally will give you the benefit of the doubt.

www.****************************
                I thought my guy liked me. We talked about Mustangs and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                  No wonder you failed, you're a Ford guy for gods sake, hahaha.
                  sigpic

Comment

poly

From south Florida, never did drugs, never in trouble, very stable person; failed 2 polygraphs! They obviously don't work!

Comment

Polygraphs are used as tools to get the truth out of people. They do work in the sense, measuring heart rate, moisture, etc and most importantly getting people to think really hard and admit to stuff. If polygraphs could actually distinguish between a truths or lie every courtroom in America would have one. The bad part is that the LE community will "Fail" someone on the merits of a machine that has been proven not to be accurate all the time.

Comment

Like I said in another thread, it's not the blood pressure, galvonic skin response, nor your respirations. It's that darn three prong needle they stick near your anus. One could concentrate on the answers if it wasn't for that pain.

Comment

No wonder you failed, you're a Ford guy for gods sake, hahaha.
                          Watch your mouth. The Mustang can never lose.

Comment

Originally posted by mjohns2
                            Polygraphs are used as tools to get the truth out of people. They do work in the sense, measuring heart rate, moisture, etc and most importantly getting people to think really hard and admit to stuff. If polygraphs could actually distinguish between a truths or lie every courtroom in America would have one. The bad part is that the LE community will "Fail" someone on the merits of a machine that has been proven not to be accurate all the time.
                            Polygraphs only "work" in the sense that if the subject believes they can detect lies, then that subject might make a damaging admission they may have otherwise withheld. If you had a subject who believed that crystal balls functioned as "lie detectors" then the crystal ball would be exactly as effective as a polygraph. Judging by the prevailing opinions in law enforcement today, if that were the case departments would immediately start ordering crystal balls to do their pre-employment screening.

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                              You're kidding, right?

Polygraph examiners are trained interrogators - they are not there to be your friend or help you get a job. Just like cops in the interview room, sometimes they think the best way to get an admission is to be a hard-***, and sometimes they talk about puppies or your car. Either way, they just want you to make a damaging admission.

Do some research on this yourself. Go to Antipolygraph.org and check out the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute Interrogation Manual. They are quite a few examples of how interrogators/polygraph examiners attempt to get confessions and admissions during the post-test interview.

Comment

I recently lost faith as well. I not so sure I'll send another suspect for a poly after my experience. I took one for the Ohio State Patrol and was later DQ'd. Prior to this, anyone who failed a poly I was skeptical of. Thinking yep, they lied, poly said so. Not anymore! I was not told I failed the poly, only I would not be processed any further. Who knows? Anyway, if things are meant to be they will happen. Like stated, life isn't fair and this line of work certainly is not. Stay positive and move on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2980 users online. 173 members and 2807 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X