Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the poly yesterday and even though I can't give out details due to I haven't received my results I was questioned on two issues.

Before the proctor told me which questions he had concerns about, I told him about an incident I remembered while taking the poly. While this incident wouldn't/shouldn't disqualify me, It was something that I had to show a tremendous amount of restrain. I'm assuming he understood.

The other question he had an issue with amazed me, again I can't give details. But lets just say It would be a news to me too, unless he was just phishing.

Well time will tell.

Edit:
    Changed "While this incident would/should disqualify me"
    Last edited by mjohns2; 07-12-2005, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjohns2
      Before the proctor told me which questions he had concerns about, I told him about an incident I remembered while taking the poly. While this incident would/should disqualify me, It was something that I had to show a tremendous amount of restrain. I'm assuming he understood.
      Unfortunately, if you made any admissions at all during the post-test interview, you have almost certainly failed. A common tactic goes something like this:

1. During pre-test interview, examinee will admit to smoking marijuana "a few times." The polygraph examiner questions him at length until he pins down the exact number to "four times."

2. During the polygraph test, the examiner asks something like: "Other than what you told me, have you ever smoked marijuana?" The examinee responds: "No."

3. During the post-test interview, the examiner (falsely) claims that there was a significant response to the question about smoking marijuana and asks if it is possible that the subject could have smoked it more than four times. Trying to be as honest as possible, the subject figures that maybe he did smoke it five or six times and just forgot about it. So, trying to be honest, he agrees that he might have smoked five or six times.

4. Since the subject first claimed to have smoked no more than four times, and then later claimed to have smoked five or six times, the examiner reports back to the police agency that the subject lied about how many times they've smoked marijuana.

If you don't think this happens, you're as naive as the polygraph examiner wants you to be. Go to Antipolygraph.org and download their free e-book "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector." Admissions are like trophies to a polygraph examiner - that's what it's all about. If you change your story during the post-test interview, even in a sincere attempt to be as honest as possible, it will usually be viewed as an admission of deception.
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Typo, sorry

This incident was something that wouldn't/shouldn't disqualify me, however It was something that I had to show a tremendous amount of restrain.

Comment

same here

Originally posted by JKooL
          I'm 21 and have never done any illegal drugs or smoked. I've never even had a beer, and I'm wondering how that's gonna fly when I start applying - good thing all my friends and family can attest to that!
          i've done other stupid stuff when i was younger. but the no drugs or alcohol thing didnt fly...
          "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

I have friends who have taken and passed poly's before but the fact they had never done any drugs at all was a huge issue for them to be badgered on over and over during the test.

I guess it's pretty uncommon that people haven't at least experimented once in their life.

Just flip a coin..............pass/fail

I have never taken one yet so we shall see what happens when i do so i can get my own point of view on them.
            Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
              You should also check out Antipolygraph.org. What sort of valid scientific test (which polygraphy claims to be) discourages knowledge of the testing procedure? General public knowledge of the polygraph is based on what is in movies and television. Anyone want to take a guess how accurate that is?

If polygraphy was a scientifically valid test no one would care if examinees talked about it afterward, or if they researched the procedure online before their test.

If you go to Antipolygraph.org and check out their message boards you can see the open hostility that many polygraph examiners have towards anyone who brings their methods to light. Not the sort of thing you'd expect from someone who's professional motto (from the APA) is "Dedicated to Truth."

www.polygraph.com is good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by aikido kid
                i've done other stupid stuff when i was younger. but the no drugs or alcohol thing didnt fly...
                What do you mean by that? Did you fail the poly / oral because of them not believing you?

edit-- Read the first post you made again. Can you elaborate on what went on during your oral / poly about it "not flying"...? And if that's the case, just what exactly am I supposed to do if they won't believe that I've never used drugs or alcohol?
                Last edited by JKooL; 07-12-2005, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JKooL
                  And if that's the case, just what exactly am I supposed to do if they won't believe that I've never used drugs or alcohol?

by all means stick to your guns..if you haven't then you haven't that should be convincing enough I think
                  Just shut your damn hole

Comment

a buddy of mine smoked more weed, dropped more acid and snorted more coke than jim morrison, after a brief stint with the capitol police he is now an air marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by da moose
                      a buddy of mine smoked more weed, dropped more acid and snorted more coke than jim morrison, after a brief stint with the capitol police he is now an air marshall.

I am sure many people get by as this states
                      Just shut your damn hole

Comment

Originally posted by da moose
                        Words of encouragement, if I've ever seen them!

Comment

I am having the same problem with the poly as you do, Airforcop (I was SF as well), but I MOVED somewhere new to get a job, using my ONE free Air Force move (i.e. wasting a LOT more than $500 bucks), now I may be screwed, maybe not.

As far as the polygraph goes, I do not understand why they would try to trick you, as mobrien316 explained in depth.

It really doesn't make sense. I just can't grasp it. It is totally counterproductive.

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                            As far as the polygraph goes, I do not understand why they would try to trick you, as mobrien316 explained in depth.

It really doesn't make sense. I just can't grasp it. It is totally counterproductive.
                            They try to trick you because the machine cannot really detect lies, and they need to come away with admissions of guilt to show they are doing their jobs.

Do yourself a favor and go to Antipolygraph.org and download their free e-book The Lie Behind The Lie Detector. Read through that and decide for yourself. I'm not trying to make up anyone's mind for them - I'm just pointing them at the information and letting them make up their own mind.
                            Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Does anyone know which departments don't use the Poly?

Comment

Originally posted by JML65
                                I am having the same problem with the poly as you do, Airforcop (I was SF as well), but I MOVED somewhere new to get a job, using my ONE free Air Force move (i.e. wasting a LOT more than $500 bucks), now I may be screwed, maybe not.

If this job doesn't work out, then I will probably store all my stuff here in Cheyenne where I'm stationed, and go live with the in-laws for a bit until I decide where I'm moving. I really can't afford to flip the bill myself for a move, so would rather spend $100-200/month in storage fees for a while and then have the military move me once I know for a fact where I'm going.

PPD668: I don't think it's a department thing, I think it goes by state, I could be wrong. I know Minnesota does not do polys and I believe I read on here that New Jersey doesn't do them either. Not sure about any of the other states.
                                sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3467 users online. 259 members and 3208 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X