300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live-in academy

Have any of you guys done a live-in academy? My background investigator called me the other day to setup an interview appointment and said that academy would be live-in. She couldn't give me much detail about it cause they haven't finalized things I guess so I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some examples of what your live-in academies were like. Did you have free time to do whatever or was everything scheduled and structured? Did the T.O.s come in at 4 in the morning making everyone get up for some PT?

The academy I went through was a live in. Eveything was structured during the day 6-5. We had free time but could not leave the grounds. They do wake you up at different times for PT as well. We got to go home on weekends as well. Hope that helps a little.

Comment

What dept in CA are you trying for? I didn't know of any besides CHP that was live in.

Here is my web site for CA POST study guides. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
        What dept in CA are you trying for? I didn't know of any besides CHP that was live in.
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
        Riverside County Sheriff's Department. I don't think they do live-in academies all the time but they said for this one it was going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by off_kimball
          The academy I went through was a live in. Eveything was structured during the day 6-5. We had free time but could not leave the grounds. They do wake you up at different times for PT as well. We got to go home on weekends as well. Hope that helps a little.
          For your free time what kinds of things could you do? Was there things on the grounds to do to relax during your free time or was it basically just hanging out with other recruits and chatting/studying

Comment

Montana LE Academy is "live-in". Most of the rooms are two person dorm rooms. There are a few singles, and a couple barrack style rooms where 6-8 people share sleeping space. I guess it is like living in a dorm. Montana's lasts 12-14 weeks. And yes, they do come in and wake you up early on some mornings. Our schedule was PT at 0600, and class from 0800 - 1700, with some night classes. Most weekends were left to free time.

Comment

In maine the academy last 18 weeks they have fire alarm drills at 3 in the morning and you have weekendsd off.

Comment

Sounds good if your single, you'll have nothing to do but study.

Originally posted by Spectre
                Riverside County Sheriff's Department. I don't think they do live-in academies all the time but they said for this one it was going to be.
                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I take it for these live-in academies they feed you and all that? What could you guys do during your free time or what did most people end up doing?

Sounds good if your single, you'll have nothing to do but study.
                  Yeh but I am married, our first anniversary is coming up this August so the live-in academy would be tough from that aspect.

Comment

I've never done a live in academy but I have done boot camp. I think the best thing you could do in your "free" time would be study, study, more study.

As far as the wife goes, she'll be there on weekends and when you get done and 6 months away from you won't kill her. In 96 I spent 10.5 months on the ocean in the Navy. 6 months is nothing!

Comment

Live-in

I am not a civilian cop, but I have gone through Basic Military Training (live-in) and the Air Force's Security Forces Tech Academy (live-in)...

I am married and my one-year anniv. is tomorrow... I am currently deployed (1 month left out of 6)...

In the Police though, during the 6 mos of training, at least I could see my wife on the weekend!
                      -SrA J Hughes
                      United States Air Force
                      Security Forces Patrolman
                      -Defensor Fortis-

-AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

Comment

downside to live in academies

As a single mother, with 2 children to care for a live in academy is virtually impossible for me to attend. In Oklahoma, there are 2 more academies as far as I know that are not live in. I feel like I am racing the clock to go.
                        I have struggled for years just to be hired as an officer, now I'm facing a bigger obstacle with the state on my full time certification.
                        I think if you are single or married, you can make it ok, but being a single parent, puts a whole other spin on things. I think there will be a lot of people like myself will face giving up a dream just because they can't go off and leave their children for months.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11736 users online. 402 members and 11334 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X