300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying to the Academy

I am currently appliying to the academy in Orlando Florida. They mentioned having a department sponsoring me would help insure a spot in the classes.

How does one get sponsored by a department?

Will a department sponsor a person and not pay for the academy?

I was also told some departments have tuition reimbursment. Would the academy fall under that?

Has anyone heard of the hiring process for Orlando Police Department or Oviedo Police depatment?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric
    MrAiric7

"Keep Your Priorities in Order"

"Know When to Act Without Hesitation"

being sponsored is you filling out a application and going thru the hiring process to get yr back ground cleared, but they are not obligated to hire you once you graduate the academy. and you foot the bill....which is common in central fla.

find out when the academy is and give enough time tohave all this stuff
    done so you can attend a academy promptly.

www.schackdaddy.com
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I guess your looking to going thru the academy at Valencia CC. Your either Orlando, Orange county SO or self sponser @ Valencia. DavidH can give you the low down on the hiring process for OPD, OCSO has the rule of 4 (4 years military, cop or degree).

"Will a department sponsor a person and not pay for the academy?"
      No.. Never heard of a department doing that within Cen. Fla.

"I was also told some departments have tuition reimbursment. Would the academy fall under that?"
      No. Tution reimbursment or assistance is if your taking classes at one of the CC's or UCF. Your department either pays a portion or reimburses you as long as you are taking classes related to your job.

Oviedo does not sponser for the academy. Oviedo has an insane hiring process where as you have to pay for a copy of your credit report, driving record and quite a few other records.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Thanks for the advice...Is DavidH on this site? I am at a disadvantage. After high school I was in and out of college a few times. I never got the credits to line up a degree. I'm 31 now and want more than anything to be a police office in my area. I don't mind paying for the academy myself but wasn't sure if I could get a letter of sponsorship.
        MrAiric7

Comment

Yup. Hopefully he will chime in here. As far as credits, most departments dont require a degree. I came on as a police officer in ORange county while in the academy so self sponsering will get you hired its just a matter of applying and testing while you are in.

Comment

Are you still in Orange County? When applying the application asks if they( Meaning the academy or departments) could contact your current employer. If I mark no will that look bad. I only ask because my current employer might let me go if he found out I was looking for a career change. I am currently saving the money to pay for the academy and life expensses so my family won't suffer while I'm in class, and me lossing my job would really put a knot in things.
            MrAiric7

Comment

Nope. I left back in Feb.

As far as contacting your current employer, I wouldnt worry about checking the no. They will let you know when they do need contact him and will most likely contact you.

Have you looked at any state jobs or the night time academy?

Comment

In Montana, you must go through the hiring process and be offered a job at the department for them to "sponsor" you through the academy. Most departments then pay your tuition and wages while attending the academy. You can attend the academy pre-service. But academy spots are given to sponsored students before pre-service. There are some years where no pre-service spots will be available. Although, going pre-service almost guarantees you a job with at least one of the smaller departments in this state.

More info can be found here on the MT Academy.

Comment

I'll have to check in to the State jobs. I never really thought about a state job. I just wanted to be a local police office and work my way through the department. You know take some classes , become a Detective and all.
                  MrAiric7

Comment

Self sponsor means you foot the bill. Sponsor means the dept will pay for it and may offer you a job once you graduate from the academy. In CA, it is very common for an applicant to be self sponsor and pay for their training, in hopes of landing a job afterward.

www.****************************
                    Good Luck and Test Well!
                    Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
                    6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6604 users online. 357 members and 6247 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X