300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPD--DC Police.....Pros and Cons???

I have been seeing more and more things that have me very interested in MPD. I was wondering in anyone who is/was or knows first hand some pros and cons about MPD's aspects from the application process on.

I have seen several places that they are famous for giving you under a weeks notice if you make the cut.( my boss would love that---not)

I am also wondering how the carry law works for the officers who don't live in DC but live in either Md. or Virginia. Do you have to become certifed in the state you live to carry off duty?

Does anyone know what gun they carry....I saw on another site but post was from 2004 that they make you carry a Glock 17 your first 18 months then you can switch to something else.

Thanx for any help you can give me.
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Damn....nobody here can help me with this one
    Just shut your damn hole

Comment

Chiller, the written test is easy and the process moves quickly. Took the test in Feb. and was given my start day early June. Just a FYI they gave me three weeks notice before the academy/start date. I read some post that said they were not notified until 2 days before the start date.
      Another pro no poly!

Cons about the process, they were waiting on a a note from my Dr. about a broken ankle from 10 years ago but failed to notify me. I had to call and find out myself what the hold up was.
      Another con, alot of people fail the psych for some reason.

Also they were really big on education and credit. I have some post college graduate work and good credit so this was a pro for me! If you have a 4 year degree I think this would put you at the top of their list.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Comment

CHiller, forgot about off duty carry, you can carry anywhere in the US because the President signed HR218 or something like that. That goes for all law enforcement that are certified to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Terp
          Chiller, the written test is easy and the process moves quickly. Took the test in Feb. and was given my start day early June. Just a FYI they gave me three weeks notice before the academy/start date. I read some post that said they were not notified until 2 days before the start date.
          Another pro no poly!

Cons about the process, they were waiting on a a note from my Dr. about a broken ankle from 10 years ago but failed to notify me. I had to call and find out myself what the hold up was.
          Another con, alot of people fail the psych for some reason.

Also they were really big on education and credit. I have some post college graduate work and good credit so this was a pro for me! If you have a 4 year degree I think this would put you at the top of their list.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Thanx terp.....how do you like it so far?

I have an AA degree and great credit....I do hold a Master Electrical License(since 2000) and run a electrical company so hopefully the management exp. will be seen as a big plus
          Just shut your damn hole

Comment

Chiller, the kicker is I turned down the offer beacuse I live 71 miles from DC and that was just to far of a commute/ traffic (Basically North of Baltimore to DC). I am regretting turning it down everyday b/c I always wanted to be a police officer so bad. Plus I wanted to wear those kick *** blue DC uniforms. One of these days I am going to move closer and give it another shot.

By the way they also have a housing program you can take advantage of. Not sure how good of a neighborhood they put you in, but it is something. I couldn't because the wife did not want to move to DC. I knew she would bring me down sooner or later!

Comment

Originally posted by Terp
              Chiller, the kicker is I turned down the offer beacuse I live 71 miles from DC and that was just to far of a commute/ traffic (Basically North of Baltimore to DC). I am regretting turning it down everyday b/c I always wanted to be a police officer so bad. Plus I wanted to wear those kick *** blue DC uniforms. One of these days I am going to move closer and give it another shot.

By the way they also have a housing program you can take advantage of. Not sure how good of a neighborhood they put you in, but it is something. I couldn't because the wife did not want to move to DC. I knew she would bring me down sooner or later!

lol......I live just across the bay bridge so I know what your saying...I like my house and area too much to move so I'll just deal with the travel issue. I drive almost allday now anyways from job to job checking on my guys so I'm used to commuting
              Just shut your damn hole

Comment

MPD called me on Thursday to show up on Monday. They dont give you good notice. This was 6 years ago but they still do it today.

We carry Glock 17 & 19 only. They are issued based on what the department has at that time. After 18 months you can carry a Glock 26 only when off duty. But you have to apply and receive dept permission.

HR 218 allows you to carry anywhere in the USA. Most officers in MD in VA just get a carry permit for their state. Just to stay on the safe side.

Comment

The commute across the bridge and all the way down to DC will eventually kick your butt. I promise you that, esp. in the summer months. I won't comment on the force, since I've never been on the job down there, and working in PG County, 'cross the line, we naturally had "issues" with MPDC from time to time.

I'd advise moving closer. Seriously, because it won't just be the regular to and from commute, but the court, the other assignments, etc. You are talking at least an hour, if not more, on the ride.

I do know folks who live here in Frederick who do it, and you could too, but it's gonna require serious dedication to do so!

Best of luck, tho.
                  Best Regards,
                  Zebra 305
                  "Shots fired, shots fired..get me some goddam cars up here now!"
                  Typical Henry Sector PG County radio traffic, circa 1996.

Comment

haha

what if you live out of state.

Are they going to give me 2 days notice that i'm starting the academy. haha.

But i'll take a job ANYWHERE!
                    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Yes, they really will give you two days notice to appear. It doesnt matter where you are from.

zebra is right, we have a lot of issues. you are better off applying for PG county. keep MPD as your safety application. PG was recruiting MPD officers outside of DC courthouse and there was a big crowd around the recruiters.

The further away you live, the more lazy an officer you will be. The demands on a working officers time are huge in DC. Most officers burn out and become lazy within 2 years. Nobody is still hustling after 5 years.

Comment

I looked at PG but it didn't really interest me that much but I'll look at their website again....Thanx for all the info everyone and if you think of anything else,let me know

Zebra......the commute is actually not that bad and I drive allday as it is now all over Md,DC,and parts of VA so driving doesn't bother me that much.

It takes me longer to get thru Annapolis( Severn River Bridge) on Rt.50 then it does to across the Bay Bridge......it's not even close actually. The Bridge isn't really that bad unless there is a accident which ya can't really control....
                        Just shut your damn hole

Comment

I have applied to PG Park Police...it was PG County that didn't really interest me.

Are the specialties like K9 pretty available in DC?
                          Just shut your damn hole

Comment

out of state...

what about living out of state. I mean i can live at a motel for a week. but don't you have to have residency by the time your in the academy?
                            "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by aikido kid
                              what about living out of state. I mean i can live at a motel for a week. but don't you have to have residency by the time your in the academy?

The first month of the academy in DC is now residential so you only have to fend for yourself on the weekends.
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6922 users online. 196 members and 6726 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X