Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Police recruiters

Hi folks,

I would like to attend a LEO academy here in TX and, assuming I pass my certification exam, become a certified peace officer. I can then decide whether to pursue a career dept (which I would really like to do).

Will taking an anti-depressant disqualify me from entering any career dept?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by delvallef; 06-30-2005, 08:16 AM.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"

Check out www.****************************... read the faq and it will answer most of your questions.
    Good Luck and Test Well!
    Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
    6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

Here if dianosed with DEPRESSION you would be out and that's pretty much across the board in any state. You need another career choice since once off the meds it's still part of you medical record and that will dq you the rest of your life.
      Don't accept any BS that it won't because it will.

Comment

Thank you.
        Homer Simpson: "I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"

Comment

So are you saying that no matter what if youve ever taken antidepressants then you wont be eligible for hire? I took them for a few months a few years back but was by no means depressed. Also it was with a family doctor when i was 17 if that matters because it wasnt really my choice to get the prescription.

Comment

I think Bodie is saying that the use of a medication who's original intent is to treat depression is by default a disqualifying event. Although a med may be able to treat various conditions, it's usually identified with treating one specific ailment. Since a PD can't be certain what the meds were prescribed for, the obvious assumption is to believe they were prescribed for what it's most known for -- in this case, depression/anxiety. I think that's what he's saying.

Can anyone shed some light on how extensive a department's request for medical records from a candidate's doctor is? What do they ask for? Anything specific?
            Last edited by delvallef; 07-01-2005, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I'm on a prescription that's technically an anti-depressant, but it's not for depression (it's for migraines). It's not a disqualifier for me (I'm a cop now), but at least one agency has turned me down because of it.

Comment

I am going to lay this question to rest. Yes you can become a police officer if you have seen a psychiatrist and have taken antidepressants in the past. I speak based on my personal experience. I saw a shrink for panic attacks due to major life changes. I took paxil on and off for a few years. I always wanted to be a cop so I asked my doctor if I could do it and he told me yes I could and he has many officers that see him. My Dr. wrote me a nice letter and I went and applied to two major DC area depts. One was a federal and one was DCMPD. The federal Dr. who perfomed the physical read the letter and said that there are many officers that have seen a doc and this is not a problem. I was medically cleared. However I failed the poly.

With DC I went to their psych. eval and the Dr. gave me a questionaire I had to have my personal dr. fill out. Right on the letter it stated in bold "seeing a dr. is not an auto DQ". Well I gave it to my doctor and did not hear anything for a month until I received a call from the BI who said congrats, you start June 27. The bad news is I had to turn down the offer because DC is 71 miles from my house and could not afford to move closer. He called three times trying to get me to reconsidered!

Moral of the story, half of what these verified officers tell you are wrong like the officer from OH in this case. Apparently he has never heard of ADA. The best advice they give on here is just apply and see what happens. Be prepared to have your Dr. back you up. Good luck!

Comment

Hey Deval, more specific questions they wanted my doc to answer were
                  1) What is the diagnosis?
                  2) What is the treatment/ how long has he/she been a patient?
                  3) What is the prognosis?
                  4) Is the patient suicidal or violent to others?
                  4) Can this patient perform the essential functions of a police officer?
                  5) Through treatment was it discovered the patient has a drug or alcohol problem?
                  6) dose of medication and any side effects experienced?

There were a few more but I can't remember them all. Must have been all the anti-depressants!

Comment

Terp,

Thank you for the time you've taken to answer my questions. I really appreciate it and am encouraged by your answers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5945 users online. 306 members and 5639 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X